Why Not Disperse/Boondock/Primitive Camp?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by You-And-I, Aug 12, 2013.

1. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

[​IMG]

Hot Pressurized Showers with NO ELECTRIC!

Generok,

I'm with you, at the end of the day, we want a hot shower too! This unit is Great, you'll be Thanking Me And Blessing Me on this suggestion! OH YEA [;)]

UNI

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting. I REALLY want to wash off the bug dope and grime after fishing all day. This could be the ticket!

Thanks!

3. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

Yooperwannabe,

Hey, if you ever want to meet up to do a little Dispersed Camping, you bring it on Buddy! We'll keep you powered up.

No Worries, Mate!

UNI

4. Indy

Indy Member

Actually, we're making our first trek to Caddo Lake for Thanksgiving this year. We camp all over TX but we live in Houston. Caddo Lake is a bit far for us. A lot of our camping is around central/SE Texas.

I wouldn't need fans and A/C if I lived in Oregon. :) I'm pretty sure you might go insane trying to camp in triple digit temps with 90% humidity, too.

5. MRFIXIT

MRFIXIT New Member

ICEMAN posted this link back in February for free camping spots. http://freecampsites.net/usa/ Most are dry camping spots. Click on the state you want to be in and up pops a list!

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

We do the same shower thing in a privacy tent, but simpler.
    Make a large pot with hot water on the stove, mix it with some cold water in a plastic tub, and wash up. You'd be surprised how little water you actually need to take a proper shower!
    I also saw someone with an electric transfer pump and jugs of water in the back of their truck. Raycfe, maybe?

7. not_camping

not_camping New Member

Hey, when I camped up north, all I needed was firewood and a good sleeping bag. Try it where the weather is at the other end of the spectrum. You can always put on more clothes when it's cold but there's a limit to how much you can take off when it's hot and humid.

8. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Little kids LOVE boondocking!

[​IMG]

9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We use to all the time, kids grew up crapping in the woods, and sponge bath out of a pot. I still do several trips a year backpack or kayak for several days. 5-6 years ago was the 1st time we ever went to a Paid campground, and The DW fell in love with SC State parks with the baths and showers. We are now bringing the grandson camping. up untill we got the HHT this year we never needed power, no fridge or A/C in our Pups.
    Funny that most folks go camping to get away from people....we can stay home for that... meeting and making new friends, sharing good times...thats part of our fun with camping.

10. ColoradoChalet

ColoradoChalet New Member

We LOVE boondocking but the thing that keeps us from it is not knowing where the dispersed camping is and even if we do, whether anything will be available when we get there. This is more of a concern in the summertime when the tourists descend upon Colorado. We need to do a little more research on how to locate sites that will accommodate the Chalet. It was a lot easier when we were tent campers.

In addition, I need to do more research into what roads are used for what. When we were tent camping, we once ended up on what we thought was a nice, peaceful forest service road. Turns out, it was a mecca for ATV'ers. Non-stop noise. (I really hate ATV's. No offense to those that have them. But geez, it's pretty much the last thing I want to hear when I'm out in nature.) We finally packed up and left. It would've been more quiet to camp on the interstate.

BUT...I am bound and determined to do more boondocking in the future. It's really more our type of camping than being squished in a campground with a bunch of other people.

11. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

My recommendation for finding places (National Forest):

Obtain the Forest Visitor Map. One is published for each NF and shows all the roads, trails and recreation areas. Also obtain the Motor Vehicle Use Map. The MVUM is a fairly new introduction from the Forest Service and shows where dispersed camping is actually allowed or not. You can even call the district offices and they should be happy to suggest areas.

Use one of the many established campgrounds as a base camp and explore the roads in the area to check out future boondock sites.

Unfortunately, I have no advice for avoiding the ATV'ers.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Calling or visiting the District Ranger Office for the part of the NF you are interested in can help with questions about things like where a trailer might fit, whether ATVs, horses, etc., use an area and so forth. You can also buy the map there and it is extremely valuable.

13. va3rbz

va3rbz New Member

If I knew where to go in Ontario I would. Most of my camping before getting the pup was backpacking or canoeing so I'm all for wilderness camping. Given the size of our trailer and our TV I'm sure there are places we could get if we just knew where.

Oh well! Going backpacking in October so at least I'll get my fix then.

14. cowboy11753

cowboy11753 WD, SCJ and HRH Charles the Furball

Thanks for the free campsite website - how fabulous is that??

Thanks to this forum, we are gradually working our way toward boondocking.

We started with Colorado's state CGs which we pretty much loved for their showers, laundries, boat ramps, and what we perceived as a form of "pest control," ie the gate folks made sure that the sort of people who were camping there were very much like ourselves - law abiding, polite, kept their guns in a safe place.....these were really good places for us to start learning how our PUP worked, what it could do, where it would go, etc.

We have now gotten completely comfy with NPS CGs with no hookups but with central water spigots and at least a vault toilet.

We are now ready to blunder out on our own.....saw some absolutely fabulous looking boondock campsites in the Grand Tetons where I think we could be totally comfortable. Believe it or not, some of them actually had bear boxes!

My only concern will be safety in terms of unpleasant (or worse) people. We "could" deal with these sorts of people on our own, but would prefer not to. During a quick drive-by preview of a boondocking area just north of here, we saw some folks that I would not like to be camping near. Our strategy will always be avoidance, but packing up and moving because someone who looks like a murderer just moved in 100 yards away would make both of us cross, very cross.

15. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

For us, this is why not:

1) AVERAGE summer temps of 100+*, heat index ranging from 105* to 113+*, humidity in 90+ %, night temps in the low 80's*

This means that AC is needed pretty much 24 hrs a day to keep the popup cool inside. I don't have a generator and even if I did, again it would have to run nonstop to keep the inside of the popup cool inside.

2) I don't have any way of dumping the holding tanks at home, and obviously boondocking won't have a dump station.

In the winter here we have more opportunity to go "dry camping" due to the cooler temps, and although we have only gone dry camping twice I would like to try it some more.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't mid the dry heat of the SW deserts but I absolutely would not go camping in 90+ degree, 90%+ humidity conditions. What fun is it to sit inside the trailer all day? I lived in South Texas for four years and the heat/humidity combo almost killed me.

17. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

That's just it, we DON'T sit in the camper all day.

We're out either hiking, biking, swimming, bird watching, sight seeing local attractions, ect. The heat in this region is always going to be there, you deal with it as best you can ( stay hydrated, when outside and not moving stay in shade,ect). We don't let the heat dictate our camping season.

That's why we like a nice cool popup whenever we get back to the campsite and at night when sleeping. That means running the AC non stop.

I would much rather go camping in high heat and have a cool camper to come back to, then not go at all and sit inside my house in the AC not wanting to leave just because of the heat.

18. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

Our sentiments exactly. That's why ac was so important on the n2u pup. We would avoid going in the peak of the summer because it was just too hot & humid to sleep comfortably at night.

I also need to be able to charge phones & laptop in case my parents have another medical issue. Gotta be available in case something happens [:!]
    I'll even need to log in & take care of work issues on occasion. It's or ideal but I'd rather have those items available than never being able to go camping

19. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never thought of the availability issue, but that's really big for us. If we drive 3-4 hours with no reservations, only to find there are no "free" spots anywhere, it's a bummer for all, especially the kids. So, the fact you can reserve a private campground and SOME USFS sites, is a big big plus for us.

20. cowboy11753

cowboy11753 WD, SCJ and HRH Charles the Furball

As we transition into boondocking, we anticipate using reservable sites nearby for the first late night arrival and then being able to take our time to find a boondocking site the next day. Of course, this doesn't work well for one=night stands but we think it's brilliant for anything longer...a sort of cost averaging approach that cuts down on the anxiety of finding a campsite and the worry that it will not be acceptable....