Why Not Disperse/Boondock/Primitive Camp?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by You-And-I, Aug 12, 2013.

1. rawlus

rawlus Member

Not a lot of boondocking options in New England, which is our primary camping territory.

2. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

3. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Well-Known Member

Boondocking!! Thats the way we have camped for many, many years. We use to live up around 4000ft near Mariposa, Ca - we had all sorts of wildlife around our home, including Bears and Mountain Lions. Unfortunately we had to move, but we are in the foothills. And even though we live away from people, we still like to get away from civilization - be in nature and to just relax.

Here is a pic of our old house - winter of 2001.
    [​IMG]

And here is what happens when the Bears find your garbage box - we didnt have trash service, so every 2-3 months I would head to the dump. If you look at the left side of the pic, you can see the concrete blocks where the box was resting.
    [​IMG]

However, lately DW is more interested in CGs. So not as much boondocking, but we still get up in the Mountains away from most, we just dry camp at a CG.

4. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

5. Up the Mountain

Up the Mountain Member

I am considering something like that on MN Boundary Waters.....we would canoe out and fish and hike but base camp at night.
    Each year we take our 8th grade boys up there to camp for a week, setting up CGs 4+ miles from the marina on various islands.