Why O Why??

happybooker1

Aug 26, 2018
Kingwood Texas
It must be the "gathering of the herd" instinct that causes a camper to claim a site right next to another camper. You know--safely in numbers if they are attacked by Indians, wild bears, moose, etc. Or in our case -- Maurauding alligators.

When we were at Huntsville State Park last week, there was hardly anyone there. In our loop, I counted 4 of us when we set up, and there was a group of two families that were obviously together. We stayed till Friday. On Wednesday, someone came in with a bigger RV and picked the site NEXT to us. THere were approximately 20 empty sites on our loop. It just amazes me, is all. Maybe I'm just too antisocial.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
On Wednesday, someone came in with a bigger RV and picked the site NEXT to us. There were approximately 20 empty sites on our loop. It just amazes me, is all. Maybe I'm just too antisocial.
Assume they had been on the site before, and liked it. Just reserved it and returned to it. Kind of like salmon returning to the stream of birth, when there is a less crowded spot, two streams down river.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
My mom is a very social person so she would so do what you described. If I camped with her it was at a private campground with a ton of activity and always someone nearby. Not my cup of tea, but you kind of learn to compromise to keep peace. I always stayed at camp and she would be over at the neighbors chatting away. Although she does understand most of the non verbal signals of “I don’t want to chat” . However she expects me to make up for the lack from the neighbors until she can find someone else to direct a conversation. One of the reason I was willing to camp there was because she could almost always find someone. I love my peace. No way could I survive camping at a state park with her. She doesn’t understand why people would even want to be alone. Here is my theory in your case, due to covid RV craze all their usual campgrounds were fully booked so they had to resort to a more quieter campground they are not accustomed to and wanted to be next door to someone as that is what they are used to. Seen that a lot here myself. People who clearly never ever camped without power is now forced to do so.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I am going to give @WrkrBee the benefit of the doubt... but I am right there with ya! We used to joke about taking a leak.... three urinals.... you go far right, leaving two open urinals... NEVER trust the guy that chooses the one right next to you!! [:)C][LOL]
I hate that...and if he starts talking to you...you have to stop mid flow and get out there half full only to return after the coast is clear

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
It must be the "gathering of the herd" instinct that causes a camper to claim a site right next to another camper. You know--safely in numbers if they are attacked by Indians, wild bears, moose, etc. Or in our case -- Maurauding alligators.

When we were at Huntsville State Park last week, there was hardly anyone there. In our loop, I counted 4 of us when we set up, and there was a group of two families that were obviously together. We stayed till Friday. On Wednesday, someone came in with a bigger RV and picked the site NEXT to us. THere were approximately 20 empty sites on our loop. It just amazes me, is all. Maybe I'm just too antisocial.
There are numerous threads on this very subject.

FTRVer

Jun 19, 2021
As a full timer for several years, (we just got a pup to go camping. Lol) I imagine they reserved a spot online and probably has nothing to do with you or your spot.

popup-flyer

May 11, 2021
Central Texas
Living in Texas and knowing most reservations are made online I am not sure why you suggest they "picked" to be next to you? Are you saying the site was not reserved and they just picked it after hours?

I

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Many reasons, it's very unlikely they did it just to annoy you personally. It may be they had reservations, or like that site from previous visits. On the rare occasions that we do FCFS anymore, we have a few criteria, would prefer to not be next to someone already camped, but some site limitations would take priority. These days, we mostly have reservations, and again, have criteria, and go by those, whether or not the site next to use is already reserved.

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I am going to give @WrkrBee the benefit of the doubt... but I am right there with ya! We used to joke about taking a leak.... three urinals.... you go far right, leaving two open urinals... NEVER trust the guy that chooses the one right next to you!! [:)C][LOL]
I hate that!!! I go by the rule to leave a urinal between you and another guy!! If someone starts up a conversation I play dumb and pretend I'm deaf!!!

Ted S.

Super Active Member
Dec 20, 2011
Sometimes Walmart camping or the like I will pull up next to another camper. In that situation they have always been happy with it. Safety in numbers.

JRcampers

Aug 28, 2020
Either gonna say reservation or like a KOA you got pay extra to pick a spot so you show up and get what they give you. If reservation I've picked plenty of sites that had nobody around it and then come time people picked spots next to us. I also have a few favorite sites at certain campgrounds so I basically do not care if you wanna be neighbor less I'm gonna take that spot. Then again most around us arent parking lots and have plenty of space between us.

Latest posts