Why, Package Thieves

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Econ, May 17, 2021.

1. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

There is a doorbell manufacturer advertising the hell out of their product on Youtube. This brought forward a question long thought about. Why would you steal a package off someones front porch?

It could be we live in a county with a hang'em high attitude but it doesnt make sense. You are risking jailtime for a pig in a poke. You could end up with 3 pair of someone's size 48 XXXXXL panties in exchange for leaving photos/documentation of your self with your victim.

Thrills??

neighbormike likes this.
  2. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Desperate people don't care that the item they stole cost you $200, they care that they can get $20 on the street for it, to buy another crack fix. They're not wearing your size 48 XXXXXL tighty-whities, they're selling stuff for pennies on the dollar to support a habit. Also, someone with that level of desperation isn't really good at weighing the balance sheet of risk versus reward. The only reward that matters to them is the next fix, and there is no risk too great.

Econ likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

In the Bay Area, and likely in most of Los Angeles, there are ZERO consequences for Porch Pirates, as we call them. No consequences for car-break-ins either.

1380ken, Econ and eoleson1 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

48 XXXXXL is a score! Lol. What they said. Its more prevalent in areas where the houses are closer together, and close to the street. Easy pickings. Just drive on by and see what you can find. Especially when the package in the shape of a tv box, or thr box has the picture of whats in it.

Econ likes this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We live in a cul-de-sac of 3 houses - its much more secure than a simple drive-by street frontage

Econ likes this.
  6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

In this state 60% of the households are heavily armed. Your home is your castle if you know that code word.

The our district attorney prosecuted a woman for murder several years ago. She was the get away driver parked in front of the house. Boyfriend did a home invasion. He tied Mr homeowner up and made Mrs homeowner go upstairs to get the jewelry. Mr got loose and got his friend and ventilated the home invader. The DA prosecuted the girlfriend for the death of her boyfriend. Did I mention I live in one of the most conservative counties in a conservative state?

I understand now. They're locally known as copper thieves. A copper thief doesn't have to confront a homeowner. A porch pirate would.

Thanks for the info

dickparkans likes this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

A popular item on a couple woodworking groups I follow are what's called parcel drop boxes.. basically similar in design to a mailbox.. open the lid and set the box on the "shelf". Close the lid, shelf drops open, dropping parcel into the bottom of the box. Open the lid and the "shelf" blocks access to the bottom section..

I have also seen some people using a steel cage with padlock.. with a sign asking delivery person to ensure they close and lock the door after leaving parcel..

Then there is this guy..

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Porch pirates are never bothered with by the police here. They have much bigger problems to deal with. Had a few things stolen myself and suspect I’d see it sold on Craigslist or some other form of selling for the quick buck. Hope they love prescription cat food. Dang that stuff was crazy expensive too. In a townhome community it’s very easy to walk the streets in the afternoon and steal a package. The crooks don’t care except for their next fix. Sadly car break ins are a common problem where I live too and things stolen out of them as well. Police don’t even dust for prints. I get that drugs, gangs, and other federal crimes are far more important, but if you don’t show even a little interest in the petty stuff those minor crimes can turn into something bigger and others gets hurt in the process. It’s so frustrating! I feel bad for the police it’s litterly a war against crime and absolutely nothing they can do to stop it because there just isn’t enough resources.

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

One the things I've learned working from home is that two of my across-the-street neighbors spend an inordinate amount of money with Amazon. It's not unusual for multiple Prime delivery trucks to stop in the same day.
    Anyway, one of them has some sort of arrangement because the drivers have the code to open the garage and set the packages inside then close the door again.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Are you trying to use logic?

11. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer Member Silver Supporting Member

It's called "Key by Amazon" and it's a standard Amz program. You need a web-connected GDO, of course. They even give you a $40 credit for trying it (https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=18528209011). I did it once to get the credit $s. Worked fine. But we're home most of the time, so we don't use it often.

12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

On a sleepy Sunday morning a few years ago, I caught two "ladies" (thief & getaway driver) taking a package from the steps of my across the street neighbor. As I ran out of my house yelling repeatedly for the thief to "put it down!", she bolted for the vehicle with package in hand. You should have looked at the look on her face as I was running at her. She was not expecting me! Priceless!

Alas, she beat me to the vehicle and jumped in. I didn't have time to grab my phone (camera) before I dashed out of my house, but I was able to get a vehicle description, plate number and good visual for a description of the perps as they sped away.

Thanks to reading a bunch of @PopUpSteve Popup Portal threads and seeing the pictures of his setup, I was able to immediately discern that the vehicle was a black Honda Ridgeline (Steve's tow vehicle of choice). I called the cops and when they showed up, I gave them all of the information needed to track them down. (No, I did not say it was Steve.)

Within an hour or so, the Cops had the perps in custody at their house in the next town over without the package and insisting, "It wasn't us!". The cops called me and asked if I could identify them. I said "yup!", and gave the detailed description of both. The cop said, "Yup, that's them". Turns out they had prior convictions for theft. (No! Go figure!)

I spoke to the victim neighbor a couple of days later and found out what the "ladies" stole - two loaves of homemade bread for her mother. I still don't know what the final outcome was or if the "ladies" even got in any real trouble, but it was satisfying to know they were busted and I scared the s**t out of them.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    flyingjohn and Econ like this.
  13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

What I did several years ago. Scrap 3/4" plywood. Made a 2 sided box. Painted it rusty metal primer. From a 100' it blends into the brick.

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Speaking of copper thieves, read an article of some idiots who tried to steal waveguide off of a microwave tower. They didn't realize it was still in use and got badly burned from the RF energy in the waveguide!! They got what they deserved!!!

1380ken and Econ like this.
  15. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We have them trying to steal copper off the power poles. Look up the Darwin awards. Cleansing the human gene pool, one idiot at a time <GG>

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yeah, you wish Darwin would work a little faster with some of these folks!!!!!

Econ likes this.
  17. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

What would happen if the Feds gave out free crack and meth?? Less crime?

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We are out in the country and have never heard anyone out here having stuff stolen from the porch. But if a package has not been delivered before we take a trip I change the instructions to "leave on back porch. This keeps it out of the wind.

Last edited: May 28, 2021