Why the Covid Restrictions is a crock

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, May 5, 2020.

1. reddy

reddy New Member

I live in upstate NY..the rules are hard but people are good about keeping to the rules..I think camping in NY is easy to keep safe..the sites are a good distance apart..control the day use by number of people allowed in..I would use the restrooms but bring my cleaning wipes with me on doors and handles

adkdave, Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.
  2. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Member

JUST LET US IN!!!... we're not afraid of COVID-19... just bears... bears will kill you{LOL}

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. Gub

Gub New Member

They keep the liquor stores open to prevent thousands of alcoholics from going into withdrawal...theoretically keeping hospitals being overwhelmed since rehabs aren't taking in as many patients

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

There was a photo online of the refrigerated trailers all lined up a couple of days ago. I guess they were making ready to bury the dead in an open pit somewhere...

Don't think family members get to pickup their loved ones after they have died...

Lets have a little respect here...

Roy Ken

Toedtoes and kcsa75 like this.
  5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I have lots of respect for camping, more camping, maybe soon? Good food, coffee and hikes in the woods. Tired dogs at the end of the day. :grin:

crackerJack and Rik Peery like this.
  6. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Member

AGREED!!... NY State Parks are great! some of the most beautiful land in the U S of A! The rest-rooms are a "nice to have" but, we're not worried about the "amenities" so much, 'cause we're really "self-contained". Our shower tent doubles as our "poop" tent [with a portable loo], heck, we've used "cat holes" in the past...we're used to filtering and sanitizing our water... Using the State Parks afford us the knowledge that there's, at least, reasonable sites to set up in and enjoy the outdoors... no fuss, no muss...JUST LET US IN and we'll worry about the rest. ... it's called a "Camper" for a reason, right? [LOL]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I'll accept cranky but I am hardly a legend.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

When I was young people didn't even have leashes for their dogs. I would deliver newspapers early morning and see the neighborhood dogs running around in a pack like wolves. My friends dog would come and find him when his parents wanted him to come home. Times have changed.
    oops posted wrong spot

9. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

---I have not entered any discussion in a while as there are so many good members already providing fantastic information and camping insight that I can only appear redundant. Good people, good information and discussion. Great comments on this subject too. . . .and it has forced me out of my 'observer' mode.
    ---But, if you'll indulge me, I too have an opinion on the pandemic as it affects camping and the reopening of America. There is no reason our country can't be reopened for business. Camping should have been one of the first to open fully - after all there is less visitor interaction after the sun goes down than when the sun is up. UNFORTUNATELY, there are still too many self entitled individuals who feel they can ignore commonsense Virus protocol, protest and join large groups without masks, and then meet with innocents and share their exposure.
    ---Is it just too INCONVENIENT to wear a mask in closed public quarters? Is it too INCONVENIENT to ignore the one way signs in food market isles (usually by those without masks and sneezing)? WHY is it too INCONVENIENT to do the right thing to protect American Citizens?
    ---I'm gonna say what I mean: If I take a firearm and shoot my family members, my neighbors, or strangers I am a murderer or a terrorist. Likewise, if I am too arrogant to cover my mouth and nose and either directly infect innocent people and children, or indirectly by supporting those who ignore commonsense protocol adding to more deaths, then I should be locked in a stadium with all the other people who don't care about spreading the disease and let the chips fall where they will. If/when we have a second wave and America's opening fails it will ONLY BE BECAUSE of these arrogant self entitled individuals murdering Americans. No more sugar coating it!
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

crackerJack, jackquontee and BillG like this.
  10. Firering

Firering New Member

Hey guys Firering here, Firepit might be my cousin I didnt know about. GBR!!

I just drove up to Blockbuster to rent a VHS tape and it was closed, when did that happen?? Little attempt at humor.

I've read a few comments about PUPs not having toilets and wanted to share an idea. The short of it is that I rebuilt our Coleman Santa Fe a few summers ago and got the bug to retire early and build out a van and do this full-time. I'm in the middle of our build out and just finished our composting toilet that many of you could do and use in your PUP. Not sure if it will help you get into certain parks or not but wanted to share the idea and help those on lock down with a possible project to consider.

I posted a video on our YouTube channel- Corndog Caravan if you care to watch.

Rik Peery, firepit and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Nice ray, the beginning was atually really good.

12. bigal45lc

bigal45lc New Member

The man DIDN'T say Covid was a crock, he said the RESTRICTIONS are a crock, and he's right.
    And since we're there, I say the whole thing was mishandled from the start, and most of this wasn't necessary.
    It IS a flu, yes a dangerous one, but standard practices work, and WOULD have been sufficient IF our States Health people had been on the ball, but they weren't. Nor was the CDC.
    MOST of the deaths are in care facilities, where apparently the States have been VERY lax in their oversight of the personnel and practices, such as personnel washing and using standard hospital care practices, as well as allowing family contact without those people being educated in their own health habits.
    Meanwhile, dispersed camping is discouraged (why? how much more 'social distancing' can one get?) and other nonsense rules are in place, generally scaring hell out of the uneducated.
    That's another thing, with modern education, why is it that many people are so ignorant of BASIC health practices????
    Sorry if you don't agree, but this could and SHOULD have been handled FAR better than it was, and some allegedly educated people (Jared Polis, Colorado Governor, who said half the people would get this, and scared people with his stupidity) are spreading fear, and doing great damage to our society.
    MY opinion, but mine, and I stand by it.
    We have been made to look like a Third World Country in all this. Such foolishness.

Geo-Trekker, Nani2 and firepit like this.
  13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

The Forest Service is afraid people will start fires that the FS will need to put out when they become forest fires..

14. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

A doctor I know who really keeps up with this issue said that to be safest the other folks need to wear face masks to protect you from the virus. You wear it to protect them from the virus. Wearing masks was enforced in San Francisco during the 1918 Spanish flu that affected a third of the world's population (500 million at the time). Of those 500 million one tenth died! San Francisco was the only large city to escape the virus due to enforcing that everyone had to wear a face mask. Sadly the wearing of masks in California was not considered at first--just social distancing.

I am older than you and retired. I try to do everything right to not get any of the viruses going around in the wintertime. I avoid the shaking hands session where possible during Church services and always try to sit in the back row and away from others to avoid the nuisance of getting the flu or a cold. One religious organization we were attending has a has-been leader who is way beyond being put out to pasture. The packed three weekend services in this large facility with a large balcony had been dwindling to where only one service was still conducted. Due to the wide spacing (ideal social distancing) situation the leader mandated that the left and right third of all the seating be roped off forcing the dwindling number of folks still attending his services to be packed together so he would feel better about the audience. We immediately left as this was unacceptable to us.

Social distancing is something that folks should consider especially if they are elderly and have other health issues. To force this on the entire population has never been done in past history. At the incredible rate this virus is spreading it is just a matter of time until everyone encounters it. My elderly friend/neighbor went thru it unscathed (tested positive and had all the symptoms) other than minor normal flu symptoms. He did everything right and tried desperately to not get the flu by wearing surgical gloves and an N95 mask. This didn't help--he still got the virus. So the key is to do what he did prior to acquiring it and also during the attack. Sacramento County recently cleared him from quarantine status.

So the key is to do everything he did and perhaps add some sinus exercises to produce your own Nitrous Oxide which is likely the key as to why children are hardly affected at all. We are faithfully doing all the preventative measures, the NOX producing exercises, the respiratory therapist recommended preventative measures, the vitamins and quinine, etc. so that when we eventually are exposed we will hopefully sail thru it even easier than did my elderly neighbor. Since his gym was closed he alternatively jogged all thru the virus phase every morning in violation of the stay at home and wait to die quarantine status.

15. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

More lives saved? More wives beaten and killed due to the lockdown.

https://www.businessinsider.com/as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-grows-so-does-domestic-violence-2020-4

But as long as we continue to listen to experts, (Appealing to Authority is one of the 10 Logical Fallacies), we can't re-open businesses until we have an effective vaccine. We don't even have a very effective vaccine against influenza. We live with it. Some die from it every year. 40,000-50,000 annually statistically.

16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Pretty short sighted and a very selfish response. Your answer is to gamble and your gamble affects those that have no choice to your gamble's outcome. (I want money now, therefore you may die.)

Those that listen to the experts slow the death rate, those that don't listen, speed it up. That is a fact. You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

There is no easy answer to this, but justifying innocent death is certainly not the answer. Karma is a bitch. You should pray that it doesn't come back to bite you and your loved ones.

Toedtoes and kcsa75 like this.
  17. Out in the woods

Out in the woods New Member

In Ga. State park campgrounds are open with campsites 20 feet apart.
    Dispersed camping in USFS WMA’s where you may not even be able to see the next campsite, are closed.
    Parking lots at access points to Appalachian trail are closed. Really?

18. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I couldn't help myself
    fseprd534912.jpg

Toni Arnold likes this.
  19. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

If you take out NYC and LA, the US is very very low in the case list per country. Maybe Coumo and Pelosi telling people to get out mid March and enjoy the bars and Chinatown wasn't the best advice.

20. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

You can change the stats, but you can't change the facts. The rest of the country lacked and still lacks testing, so no one really knows where we are at with the number of cases. Now that more testing is available in the middle of the country, cases are booming.

At least we have some leaders that came to realize the dangers of this virus and quickly made changes as new facts emerged. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't Pelosi and Cuomo that suggested we ingest cleaning fluid or expose you inner organs to sunlight as a cure. Who was that? I can't remember.;)