WHY WON'T THEY LISTEN?????

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by NEWTOME, May 22, 2014.

1. NEWTOME

NEWTOME Member

Father in law traded in his Trailblazer and leased a new Honda CRV. Well there went his TV. Now has decided his 2003 Ford Ranger 3.0 will tow his 2800 lbs Coleman Utah. Done my best to explain that would not be a good idea, but was told it would "pull that without a problem". Well I guess he'll find out sooner or later. Think he was going today to add hitch,wiring and brake control.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Relatives are the worse, including my DW, but if a stranger tells them something they are all ears.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Parents are harder to raise than kids!!!

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

LOL . i had exactly the same truck (low mileage) pulling my much lighter PUP i really took good care of that truck but eventually fried the tranny and quickly got rid of the Ranger.After i sold it is when i found out that these Rangers have crappy transmissions & and yes i used an oil cooler
    Your father-in-lay is making a very bad decision .

5. NEWTOME

NEWTOME Member

Told me that a car dealer told him it would be fine.........ummm DON"T THINK SO!!!!

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Car dealers do not lie.

7. efehser

efehser New Member

Technically, that Ranger has a tow rating of 4,000 lbs. They also have notoriously week trannys, and rust issues in the rear suspension. I wouldn't.

8. turborich

turborich Active Member

Why won't a Ranger with a V-6 engine pull a 2800 pop up? What is the towing capacity? Around 3,500 pounds give or take? The Ranger has a Leaf spring rear suspension and you can easily add air shocks or air bags to keep it from sagging. There's nothing wrong with the transmissions in a Ranger and the rear suspension won't rust any more than any other vehicle. If you perform routine maintenance on your vehicle then you shouldn't have these failures. Idiots drive their vehicles without ever performing a transmission service, this is why transmissions let go. If you live in an area where vehicles rust then of course any vehicle will have rust under it. These vague comments are without any real merit and can be said towards any vehicle.

Doesn't seem like a problem unless there is more to this story. May not be the ideal tow vehicle however it's by no means out of the question. [2C]

9. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I agree with Turborich. It's not like a Trailblazer is a large vehicle. Yes, larger than a Ranger, but it's not a large vehicle.

Trailblazer vs CRV? I'd take a CRV any day...not for towing, but for everyday driving.
    Our CRV (purchased new) now has 298,000 miles and has been very reliable.

10. turborich

turborich Active Member

A Toyota or Honda are excellent very reliable vehicles. How's it running with 298,000 miles? Probably pretty good.

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

The ranger will be just fine.

The N1 thing that kills the Ranger/Explorer trans was never having the fluid changed.

12. NEWTOME

NEWTOME Member

Well after doing some more research and reading responses I will now step off my high horse and admit I was wrong. But looking at the pup and truck it just didn't seem right to me. Gotta remember to read into the picture more........ [RTM] [:D]

13. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

If that dealer also sold hybrids, they would have told him he could tow a 5,000 GVWR HTT without any weight distribution.. They don't really care if your tow vehicle blows up!

14. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

One of my cousins bought a mid-size TT (I don't the exact specs) and was planning to pull it with a Jeep Commander. Another relative with a ton of towing experience told him the trailer would be too heavy for that TV. He said it was within limits (just) and would be fine. The big day came and he picked up the trailer to drive it home - said it was the worst white-knuckle drive of his life. It wasn't the pulling as much as the stopping, even with trailer brakes, that was the problem. He went straight out and traded for a Ford F250 King Ranch and hasn't had a problem since.

15. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

The trailer should be stopping it's self. I suspect the WD hitch was not setup correctly and there was not enough front axle weight or to much weight removed from the rear axle.

Let me guess the dealer helped his set up his WD system.

I will never go near one again after the brake controller hack job on the Subaru. Leo's RV used a single 20a auto reset breaker for both the trailer 12v line and the brake controller. So, what happens when you are returning for boon docking for a weekend? The battery is trying to recharge at the same time you need all the braking you can get coming down the switch backs. But that's ok because the brake controller was grounded to a painted surface with out any wave washers, even though the tag about 3" away from the loosely crimped ring sad to only ground the controller back at the battery and not to any metal surfaces. So, after about a year, enough rust happens because the bare metal was not covered with dielectric grease, that the brake controller wigs out and finds a ground path thru the brake switch.

16. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Why won't they Listen.....Small trucks can tow.

You don't need a Big Full Size Gas Guzzling truck to tow a popup. I used to tow my 1,900# popup with my 4cyl Toyota Tacoma. I wasn't racing anyone, but it did it.

17. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I said in another post, I am going big this time. I fried my transmission on my heavy pup (E3). That's even changing the fluid. I'm going to get one rated at twice my max weight, with the towing kit. I have the benefit this is not my daily driver, so I'm not exactly concerned with MPG as long as it gets better than my last truck.

18. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Totally agree Sumoman. I want more than ample power and capacity for safety, durability, and ride comfort. I have worn out little trucks, overmatching them with loads. It's not safe; it takes a mechanical toll; and it makes for a stressful ride/trip. I aim to not exceed half to two thirds of TV capacity.

19. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I'm not going to like the payment even on a used on.. Though I do think when I am passing uphill, with the Air on, I will forget all about it. That and I haven't had a vehicle I could wax in a long time.. Mine was covered in bed liner[emoji13]

20. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

96k miles on my 4cyl Tacoma and I use it like a truck. Towing and hauling heavy loads. Maybe you should have bought a Toyota. I changed the tranny and diff fluid at 75k.

[​IMG]