Wi-Fi in parks?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Ken1967, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Just saw on the news Parks Canada plans to put Wi-Fi in all national parks. Some are voicing oposition to this idea. What's everyones' thoughts on this?

2. xshield

xshield New Member

I'm all for it. It's one of those items that if you don't use it you'll never know it's there. I'm sure you'll get some great opinions.

3. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

is there some sort of KOA-wifi map available?

4. Doyle

Doyle Member

I think that's a nice addition. As much as I enjoy solitude while camping, I understand people's needs to be in touch. I would use it mostly to check on weather forecasts I imagine.

I do wonder though, if there are some higher priority items that they should be addressing that might benefit more people, not just the tech-savvy.

Sent from my iPhone

5. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

There are several parks in mo that have wifi. Dont matter to me I just tether my tablet with my phone.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@rob2218

There are supposedly some lists of wi-fi spots, usually by city, etc. As for something specific, such as KOAs, I don't think I've seen one. The directory does usually mention if it is available at any given KOA. That doesn't necessarily mean that the wi-fi and/or internet is all that useable. It depends on the location of your site, quality of their service, etc. Since so many people are now (more or less) dependent on internet access, the internet at a campground can get overloaded. Several we have been to prohibit downloading movies, Netflix, etc. At one, we had to get on the 'net before 7 a.m. to have it useable.

While I hate the idea of more towers, etc., having access to internet (cell or wi-fi, though wi-fi works better since I'm not restricted to the smartphone) is handy for keeping in touch, reserving another campsite and the like. Now that DH has a SPOT, having some access to my email is how I get the "I'm OK" message. On our last trip to Grand Canyon, when he was 3 nights in a fairly remote section, my iPhone would not connect over wireless. I had to go to the supermarket to access the wi-fi there. That wasn't too much of an issue, since I have to go to that area for good cell phone connections, but it still made an extra step.
    On the road, we often depend on a quick connection at McDonald's, libraries, rest areas, visitor centers, etc.

7. Ken1967

This reminds me of when I was about 21 and my dad asked for a portable t.v./radio/cassette player for his birthday. He said he wanted to take it camping. My siblings and I chipped in for it but my mom caught wind of it and said "T.V.s do not belong at the campsite!"
    She came to my office in a fury... fortunately I was developing film in the darkroom and she could only unleash her anger through a locked door.
    Needless to say, once given to my dad... he had to keep it at his office for about five years.... then gradually he weaseled his tv/radio into the house... first as a radio for his bedside... and eventually he brought it camping! He and I watched CFL playoff football once when my mom had gone to town... we were technically still not allowed to have technology in use around camp!
    Ironically... three years ago when my folks bought a hybrid TT to go on a trip of their lives all over the southern US... my mom made sure they had a flat screen tv... and a laptop... both of which they used to watch tv and movies!
    She even complained how poor the Wi-fi was at some campgrounds and often had to go the camp office to access it.

8. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I do the same thing...tether the ipad with iphone. since we got on that "family plan" with the 10GB of data...I can hotspot my phone and allow the ipad to see it....its an awesome feature...though would be nice to see "which" campgrounds are going to wifi.
    it's not just for surfing and foolin' round......yes, weather is a very good example. traffic conditions, roads down...etc..

9. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

no.1 parental rule of thumb!......"Do as I SAY....not as I do!"

10. jwrober

jwrober Member

Just add my $0.02 here. I go camping for the distinct purpose to disconnect, not to stay connected while in the great outdoors. Ever heard of a nifty device called a weather radio? They work great and don't need anything but a 9v battery.

We have a rule in our house - camping equals nature. last time I checked a data connection does not equal nature.

Now all that being said, if I was doing some long distance RVing or something and not weekend or week long campouts, I could see the use of data. But that is a different story (and I would be retired) [LOL]

11. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

I love the idea but I am one of those that don't go camping to get away from technology. Being on the computer is relaxing to me so I see it as a plus. Now I am not on it 24/7 or any thing like that but I enjoy surfing the portal or other forums while sitting around relaxing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

12. Hawks

Hawks Member

I say to each their own.

This might mean that I can camp more, if I can't take days off work, I could work a couple of hours remotely and still camp! Not that I don't take full vacations and camp, but I could leave early on a Friday and "work" a bit before getting a heads start on my camping week-end :)

13. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

Back when I was working, I was on call 24/7. That included vacations and camping trips. I didn't have a cell phone, but was issued one any time I was going to be away from home for more than a couple hours. In those days cell coverage was spotty at best and internet was accessible by dialup only. WiFi at a campsite would have opened up a lot of areas that were off limits to us in the past.
    Now that I'm retired, it's convenient but no longer necessary. I wouldn't begrudge anyone access. I'm sure there are others as tethered to the workplace as I was.

14. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

but you see....you're not really disconnected....you still have the "weather radio"...you are still connected to some degree.
    I suppose then it's a level of connectivity that we are trying to attain.

I, personally, do also find the net relaxing. I like going to websites, checking motorcycle forums, checking PUP forums, weather info, some current events, tech sites, ebay, craigslist...etc...

I like staying connected......but I also like to be out and about in "nature WHILE connected".......
    I know...it's a catch-22....you either "ARE" totally disconnected or you "ARE NOT" disconnected.....
    you can't be 1/2 pregnant...right.

15. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

Hi all,

I'm one of those "camping to disconnect".

So:
    - No radio/TV
    - No cellphone (can be used for emergency call only)
    - No tablet/laptop
    - No handhelds/DSi/3DS
    - No MP3/iPod

Nature has many ways to entertain us.

I understand those who might need it, but I don't want to pay for something I don't use...

Playing CoD: Black Ops or Minecaft with fellow campers? Hmmmm.... [;)]

B.

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When I go camping it's usually up in the mountains where any kind of coverage is spotty at best. When I go camping alone I rely heavily on some sort of communication device. So my family knows my plans for the day and all is okay. One campground had no cell service but their wifi was available. Which was a good thing as the nearest cell coverage was 2 hours a way on the otherside of the mountain. So even though I really like to disconnect when I camp I want to still be safe. Cell service has come a long way but there still are a lot of dead areas. My biggest and longest trip planned will not have either wifi or cell so thinking of renting a satilite phone to communicate my plans. So I'm all for the wifi, if you want to disconnect then don't bring the toys. When I camp I only use it as home base. Eating sleeping etc. So I try to think about safety in my travels and want my family know that all is well or if there is an Emergancy on the home front.

17. Ken1967

Lots of interesting debate/comments so far... love this portal!
    We allow technology to come along... where we camp has cell service... but no wifi (yet). With the way kids and sometimes us parents, are hooked on our devices one would think we wouldn't take time to smell the roses (ooops I mean trees)! But when we are camping our kids and us spend most of our time doing things like swimming, sitting on the beach, cycling, walking, hiking, enjoying a campfire, cooking and eating outdoors. The kids do sometimes need a nature break and put on a movie in the camper... but for the most part they choose the great outdoors as their entertainment. We as parents do use our phones to check weather, contact family to tell them what they are missing, etc.
    My honey does use her phone to book appts. for work... this allows her to get away from the shop and still enjoy camping! [PU]

18. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

as usual...it's not if the 'weapon of choice' can be fired rather the one holding the 'weapon of choice' has to know what do with it.......for us....tech is coming along too.

19. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya my FRS radios has a band that you can scan through the weather stations on and find the closest one to your location. It works great and I use it quite often when we camp.
    For me personally, I do not need any kind of Wi-fi when I camp, ESPECIALLY if its going to raise the cost of my campsite per night. My teenagers are split on it. I'm surprised that my son, the computer guru that he is, was the one to say that he didn't want it there. He went as far as to say it bothered him that they would be putting it there. He says that when you are camping, you don't go there to go on the Wi-fi, you are supposed to go there and listen to the birds. I believe the story said that it was only in National Parks, and didn't mention Provincial Parks at all. But if it goes in one , it'll go in the other eventually.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Some of the PP's already have limited wifi ...