Wi-Fi in parks?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Ken1967, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Hawks

Hawks Member

Yes, I think I saw a wifi hotspot at the Pinery Provincial Park in their store/snack bar last summer.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I for one do not like the idea of adding Wi-Fi to a National Park. Why spend the money unless of course a telecom/cable carrier is paying for it to boost their footprint!!

3. flighht2k5

flighht2k5 New Member

If you dont like it. Don't use it :)

4. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

When we go camping, I'm always clipping the off air T.V. and WiFi antenna up. I can pull in open WiFi from about a flat mile away then repeat it for a hot spot in a perimeter around my camp site. We like nature and all but when we retire for the night in our cozy lil trailer, we like all the comforts of home. I hope to see more open WiFi in the future!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Hifi....so what is that attached to your PUP?
    is that how a wifi antenna looks like?

6. xshield

xshield New Member

Awesome setup Rob...I'm all for the wi-fi. I do find some irony (maybe not in the traditional sense) in all of our statements. We (generally speaking) talk about the "getting away" and disconnected from our "stuff at home" then on the next page we discuss microwave and toaster ovens, coffee makers, etc. On other posts especially those with pictures, I see hot plates, air conditioners, coffee makers, fans, pillows, microwaves, tupperware, etc. The list goes on and on. It's everyones perception of what camping is to them. I firmly believe I can "get away" with my stuff. I have nothing to prove....and I find it comforting to curl up with my kids around a fire and watch a movie. Ah....the memories. That's my [2C]

7. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

sorry to disappoint....I wish that was my setup.
    with the antenna and all....but it's not...it's HiFi's setup.

8. xshield

xshield New Member

[:(] Bummer, but hey we can all dream right? [:D]

9. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

LOVE IT

Face it we are no longer campers, we cheep vacationers, I bring my iPad with is and it would be nice to watch netflix on the pad.

10. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

hey all.....as long as you are enjoying yourself, you are outside, you are with the ones you love...........have at it!
    and safe and happy Campin/Glampin...whatever you like to call it.....enjoy the wifi or don't connect...have fun.

11. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

All of you talking about WiFi. Most of the places we camp don't have cell phone many don't even have a land line phone. No television and no hook ups. Taking a satellite dish dosent work in the trees and valleys plus you would have to run a gen to power it. With Washington being the home to so many high teck companies. half an hour from the sound and you halh to set your clock back about 50 years. A few years ago we were four wheeling on the back side of Mt.St. Helens DW screamed "STOP" I slamed on the brakes and started to slid down the side of the Mt. she then goes "I've got cell service I need to make a call".

12. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Well, the pole is a standard antenna mast pole. Then you see the off air T.V. antenna then on top of that is the white WiFi pick up antenna. I can broadcast a quality hot spot around my camper from my interior wireless router of about 20 feet or more. Anyone can connect if I give them the password...

13. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Cool techno talk....awesome!
    I tried to use a repeater inside my house once. Dude who sold me the equipment told me it would boosts and continually keep sending wifi signal to my devices. Darn thing never worked. My wifi in my house was always falling off signal. Eventually I had to get it hard wired with Ethernet cable.....but perhaps in a PUP where there are basically NO walls, everything is in the open....perhaps the repeater could indeed function as intended. Love the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Many if not all LA State Parks have installed WiFi.

I subscribe to the following school of thought:
    • People that don't want to use the WiFi don't necessarily even know it's there or don't have to use it. :)
    • People that want it have it available. :)
    • Doesn't matter which camp you are in as long as you enjoy your own style of camping and don't encroach on mine. :)
    • As long as my neighbors don't use the wireless to stream unwanted "services" into my campsite, they can do what they want in theirs. [;)]

I think of WiFi availability just like any other amenity. If there is a pool and you don't want to use it, is it really hurting your experience? What about a bath house? A laundry room? Hiking Trails? Nature Programs? Electrical Hookups? Cable TV hookups? etc. etc. etc.

Who is anyone to say whether what I or anyone else enjoys doing on their vacation, weekend, etc. is the proper way to camp barring etiquette, encroaching on others, or forcing their lifestyle on others. This goes for any activity (short of illegal stuff).

15. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

yeah...'encroachment onto my space'.........
    that's so subjective it's not even funny.
    and....you "ARE" someone to say when you are being 'encroached' on.....

but I digress...again.....

I just want my wifi and then some.... [:D] [SUN] [SUN] [usa]

16. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Agreed.

It was intended to be a general statement. There are quite a few things that can be put into that category of encroaching.

What was intended was that use of whatever amenities (wireless, electricity, etc.) are fine in and of themselves. They don't, or at least shouldn't, be a big deal for anyone who doesn't use them as long as the people that do use discretion and make an effort not to use them in a way that interferes (another general term) with their neighbors' experience.

Of course, like you said, the neighbors are the ones who decide if it bothers them.

17. tsc

tsc Member

I'm also of the "disconnect" school of thought. But that being said; we do use our smart phones/devices in a limited setting.

We use it to check weather (The DW doesn't like the rock hanging on a post method... Wet rock= Rain; dry rock= no rain, hot rock= real sunny, rock sideways= tie down awning) and also to look for day trip ideas (museums, farmer's markets and the like).

So that being said, it's nice to have reliable wi-fi; as I've sometimes run into dead zones with no cell service. But, then again, there is always the park staff or other campers to help out. But I know after 4 days being rained in, talking to others is not the most conducive thing I can be doing, as the kids have already driven me "around the bend".

18. janetaba

janetaba New Member

But YOU don't have to use it.

19. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

i like it. we were at a cg with no cell phone service. used a laptop to msg out via wifi

20. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

lets face it folks....whether we want to admit it or not....it's good to have the connectivity for "OUR" choice to use or not...................but NOT having it at all really does suck.

Sure, we can be the ones to choose to use it or not.....but that should be a choice left up to the user.

We can't get away from it. We can't ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist......wifi is here, disconnected or not....it's here and we should be able to choose how and what to do with it at the camp ground. I think those camp grounds that offer it...will be more prosperous than those that refuse to offer it.