WI - Harrington Beach State Park?

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by zingsheim, Sep 13, 2009.

1. zingsheim

zingsheim New Member

Anybody camped there yet? Just wondering because they just opened the campground last month. THanks

2. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

I have never camped there and can't really describe anything about it, only that good friends of ours have camped there several times and love it. They camped there in 2011 and said it it is very well kept and clean.

3. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Haven't camped there - always full up!! BigRedTruck [another pupper in this forum] LOVED this CG. Hoping to get in there this year. :)

4. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

Looks like a great place and very reachable from Chicago. I imagine it would be difficult to get a spot!

5. Dark Star

Dark Star New Member

We were there last weekend and had a great site in the 100 loop. It was very large and private although some of the sites we saw were very disappointing...open, odd shaped or small. The showers and bathrooms were kept very clean.

The campsites are far from the beach areas (one beach is designated for leashed pets) but the do have a shuttle service to the beach which is great because the parking lot filled up quickly and the overflow lot is also very far from the beach. The beach itself was nice, extremely long and even offered shaded areas in the middle of the day BUT the downside is that the lake has a rocky bottom and wading was a painful experience. I laid in the sun watching everyone s-l-o-w-l-y walk into and out of the lake and our kids wanted nothing to do with going in any further than knee deep.

The hiking trail around the quarry lake was awesome with many benches, picnic tables and lookout areas. They also have another pond/activity area that had fishing and planned story time and crafts that weekend.

We had a great time but probably would go elsewhere if we want to enjoy being in the lake.

6. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

I'm curious Dark Star, how long ago did you "reserve" your site? Looking online for next year harrington is booked from Memorial Weekend through July 4th...... [?:~{] [?:~{]

7. Dark Star

Dark Star New Member

Rynderz - surprisingly it was less than 2 months. We tried to get a site at Kohler Andrae but it was full so I assumed Harrington would be too but we ended up with a great site. I think we just got lucky.

8. Brenniebrown

Brenniebrown New Member

Hi all,

Would anyone like to stay at Harrington Beach the weekend of Aug 24-26th.. We have an electric site that we are unable to use that weekend.. I am not sure if I should be posting this here but thought I would give it a try.. The site is $43.70 I would like to know ASAP If any of my PUP friends would like to take me up on the site..
    If no response by the weekend I will cancel the site....

Thanks everyone
    Brenda

9. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

[Hand raised enthusiastically] PICK ME!! PICK ME!!!

I've been trying to get into this CG for 2 yrs!! PM me for details!
    I'm Sooooooo excited!! YEAH!! [:D] [SUN] [:D]

10. Brenniebrown

Brenniebrown New Member

We are camping til Monday I will give you a call when we get back.. phone service is very hit or miss..

11. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Thanks for the info Brennie!! DH is very excited to have a pull through site, no backing [LOL] [LOL]
    I will try and remember to take some pics and post after our trip. [CAM] I'm usually enjoying the woods too much to take pics!! [8D]

Thank you again for the site!! [CP]

12. clferver

clferver New Member

I've never camped there but I used to go hiking there when we lived in Sheboygan, I love the park. I'll have to look at it for us next year. Cindy [SUN]

13. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

"I'll have to look at it for us next year."

I'd look now!! This SP fills very quickly, most of next year is already booked online.FWIW.....

14. CampK

CampK New Member

We stayed at Harrington Beach State Park the weekend of June 6-9, 2013. I have to say that I was a bit surprised when we first pulled into the campground because it isn't very wooded. I guess I am used to state parks "up north" that are usually very wooded. The lack of shade ended up being good for this trip, but I don't think I would want to camp there when it was really hot.

We had a lot of fun exploring the trails and enjoying the beach. It would be a great place for bird watching as we saw many different birds of all shapes and sizes.

I was very impressed with the shower house. I think these were the cleanest bathrooms that I have seen at any campground.

I would have loved to seen more of the surrounding area too, but we stuck close to the campground for this trip. We are already talking about coming back to this campground again next year.

I had booked this site last fall after reading this thread and seeing that it books up. I was surprised at how many empty campsites there were the weekend that we were there. I know the forecast had not been great, so maybe that kept a lot of people home.

15. elainet

elainet New Member

I thought I would take a chance to see if I could get a site for next weekend, got lucky. One site open, electric and pull-through. First time camping in this park and it is only about 9 miles from home. [:D]

16. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

17. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member