WI State Parks reservation Tips??

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by j_shoe99, May 27, 2015.

1. j_shoe99

j_shoe99 Member

So I attempted to make reservations 11+ months ago for a local State Park in Wisconsin.(Peninsula State Park). Yes, I was online at Midnight trying to reserve with no luck.

I couldn't believe how everything was reserved so quickly. Frustrating.

It appears that people must reserve sites for weeks at a time, as every date was booked, even during the week?

Later in the season, it seems like the weekdays become rather available, and the weekends are still booked.

Do people reserve a site for the maximum time, and then later cancel the dates during the week, in order to keep the weekends? If so, what's the cancellation penalties?

If this is the case, I think it's a pretty crappy method, and makes it frustrating for the "average camping family" to enjoy our state park system with the kids, as reservations are nearly impossible to get.

Any tips/pointers/advice on how to reserve some sites for next Summer?(as the 11 month window is coming up soon). I'm fairly new to this, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Door County is goimg to be pretty crowded. I did a quick look and there do look to be open sites if you can go on a weekday.

3. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Do you have to have electric? I've had pretty good success getting WI reservations for non-electric sites.

4. j_shoe99

j_shoe99 Member

I'm assuming DW and DS would appreciate electricity.

We have reservations for this weekend, so I might talk to the guy at check-in to see what people do, in order to make reservations 11 months out.

They must reserve the first day of the season, and then book the site for as long as it allows(14 days?), then go back and cancels the weekdays and just pay the add'l fees...frustrating.