WiFi and off air

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by HiFiDave, Jan 6, 2013.

1. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

As you know, many areas one can camp at has wi fi. Last state campground we were at had it but...our laptops didn't have the guts enough to pull in a signal. As I looked around at all the big dollar RVs I see this lil white antenna sticking up. Hmmmmmm When it's late, we like to settle down and my wife loves to share with her birding friends on facebook. I know I would sometimes like looking up a good movie on Netflix and sending it via HDMI to the flatscreen.

So for Christmas DW got me this neat wifi repeater system. I really thought through how I was to have it quickly hook up to the trailer along with my off air antenna. I really didn't want more "set up" chores so it had to go up easy and fast as well as come down the same. So I took a spare antenna mast pole I had, put the two antennas at the top and ran the cables down through the pole to pop out of the pole right at the height where I push them through into the trailer just under our dining bench. The pole simply slides along the strap as the top cranks up and it works slick and fast. The whole antenna assembly straps to the top of the trailer on the rack nice and snug.

I can now rotate the pole easily to aim at off air signals if I want at any local stations. The wi fi antenna works like a champ and now I can wireless repeat any signal to any laptop at our campsite. Hmmmm with the nice weather we have here, think I'll go camping! [:D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Cool set up.

3. ricko

ricko Member

Could you share more info on the 'repeater' setup? It looks like a Linksys WRT54G with a big antenna attached... I have an extra one laying around.

Where did you purchase?

Thanks

Ricko

4. JackShephard

JackShephard New Member

I myself would love to learn more on this setup.

5. HiFiDave

I wanted something that was "plug and play". I have to limit the time I fool around with things as best I can and putting the mast together etc. was about all I wanted to do. Didn't want to worry about N connectors, configuring routers bla bla bla. This setup was perfect and works like a champ. Just plug in it's IP addy, scan for open networks and you are in...

http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER/Long-Range-WiFi-Repeater-Kit-for-RVs.html

6. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Nice setup [8D]

I have had to make more than one trip on past camping trips to the campground office to use the internet because the laptop couldn't pick up the wi-fi signal at the campsite. My wife also likes to post pictures to her friends during our camping trips.

Could you post some close up pics of how the antenna slides along the strap, and how the whole antenna assembly straps to the top of the trailer.

7. HiFiDave

The mast is about 1 1/4" electrical emt trade size conduit. So I went the next size up minerlax or "mini" strap and attached that to the trailer. I pulled a screw out of the corner molding, loaded up some gorilla "super" glue on the threads and screwed the strap to the siding. I painted the strap black first and wrapped the sides of the strap that rubs the pole with rubber tape then vinyl tape so it wouldn't scratch up the pole paint. With the strap slightly larger than the mast, as the top goes up, the strap slides along no problem. At the bottom I used an old door from an electrical sub panel. About 14" x 10". As the door had a large center raised portion...I hole sawed a 1 1/4" hole in it and the mast drops into that for stability at the bottom. I drop a nearby rock on the lid and the base is "rock solid" LOL I'll have a pic of it strapped to the trailer roof rack tomorrow.

[​IMG]

8. JackShephard

JackShephard New Member

Thanks for this...this should help my wife and I very well.

9. ricko

ricko Member

Thanks for the info... time to get my geek on.

Looks like the DIY alternative might be an 8 or 9db antenna like one of these - http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=51000 The same company has some directional antennas also (that point to the source).

An adapter cable like one of these - http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=40458

and a router that will act as a repeater - the Linksys like the one in the pic can be re-flashed with DD-WRT to do that...

I need to double check all the terminations to make sure the cables would all connect and figure out all the clamps... but it's do-able.

Thanks for the idea!

Ricko

10. HiFiDave

Yes, DIY was something I began to look at but I'm so damn busy with so many things that I must limit my time on such. You know, I got a spare old dish, thought about a WiFi biquad dish antenna etc, etc. etc. Uggghhhhh I just don't have time. At the jefatech site, they had struggled with direction antennas on their set up for some reason. Read something about it anyway. But DIY is very do-able indeed.

11. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

12. HiFiDave

I looked at that one time. (or something very similar) But a USB antenna doesn't work for our needs as I have more than one device needing to connect at the same time via wireless. I needed a wifi hot spot so unlimited devices could connect at once.

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

That repeater setup is kinda cool but way overpriced. A mikrotik with a stick antenna and a cat5 jumper is $100. This is what I use

http://routerboard.com/

Of course I don't have the off air setup.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

14. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

But it may for someone else! [:D]

15. HiFiDave

Yeah, I knew it was more cost than going some other ways however, it was less fooling around than some other ways and that is exactly what I needed. Package deal, plug and play. Thought it might be the same for some other folks...

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

And it works good for you...all that matters, I just put out the info so others have options.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

17. br9

br9 Member

That's a really nice setup.

18. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Really nice but how well does it work?

19. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

20. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Actual range?