WiFi and off air

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by HiFiDave, Jan 6, 2013.

1. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

With a good line of sight (and having it up in the air as I do should help that) it is supposed to reach close to a half a mile. That should be more than enough for what we need seeing how before with only the laptop antenna why...it was laughable. I have yet to do any real world tests of any significant distance but I feel confident in it.

Someone had asked how I stored it for travel on the pup. I just tied it off to the rack and made this little pvc support for the rear and it's real solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

WOW most places we camp we can't even get a cell phone signal let alone wifi.

3. HiFiDave

LOL well ya know, we camp at places like that too and I'm sure that this would be worthless then, although my off air T.V. might pull in something, who knows. Naaa we got this for the trips like coming up in April at the Dead Horse state park near Cottonwood Arizona. Big birding event that my wife wants to do and these state parks often have wifi.

4. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Getting ready for our first (in 10 years) Man's Weekend campout. My friend has a Linksys Wireless N router with DDWRT loaded, and plans on setting it up on a hill overlooking the campsite. He will be using a USB SIM NIC to get networking over 3G to the Linksys, then beam it down to the campsite with a large antennae he built cheap. It is powered with a 12v motorcycle battery and solar panel for charging. In camp, we will have another Linksys repeater to receive the signal (if needed) and spread it around.

This is mainly a trial run with fine tuning expected. His goal is to replicate the setup in Eastern Canada when he goes on his annual family camping trip to their remote cabin.

5. HiFiDave

Slick!! I'm liking this. Got me thinking... [A]