WIFI EXTENDER HOTSPOT

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by roybraddy, Feb 21, 2020.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I am always outside around my camp site and here at home as where I park my OFF-ROAD camper and want to create a real good WIFI EXTENDER HOTSPOT.

I have tried several of those you find at WALMART in their stores but I can't seem to get something to setup and give me a 100MBPS signal or more to use with my various devices. Most of them only give me a 25MBPS signal even tho they are capable of more speed.

Was wandering if anyone has tried one of these WAVLINK WN570HA1 Dual Band AC-600 capable units.
    [​IMG]

Google image...

My goal is to create a workable HOTSPOT around my POPUP Camper when camping off-grid as well as around my POPUP Camp site here in my back yard when setup.

I will be able to feed this Antenna Link with a 100MB CAT 5/6 RG cable here at the house from one of my ASUS ROUTER PORTS from my house Internet setup...

When on the road or off-grid I will use a CELL PHONE or VERIZON MIFI unit.

I want to be able to use my various devices around this WAVLINK Dual Band signals and connect to the internet. I will also want to be able to download videos or TV Connections at 100Mbps speeds...

Any ideas on here for something that will work for me....

I see similar antennas like this on RV units and I suppose they are being used for WIFI signals etc...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Here in New Mexico boondocking is truly camping in the middle of nowhere.
    The only way to reach the outside world is via satellite. That is how remote towns get wifi.
    Don't know if that is a option for you,it seems to work here.
    Me I go completely off grid to where nothing works except my emergency locator.

3. roybraddy

As you can see from my camper map Texas/OK is about as far West as I have been haha... Most of the time I can get TV stations using my OTA antenna and with my Verizon I can get on-line just about every I have been...

I am trying to get my area around my camp site cable of using my 11-inch tablet or other devices to tap into the internet. This dual band WAVLINK specs say on one channel I should see 150Mbps signals and some much faster signal on the other antenna link.

I really want to do this at my home base here in Virginia as I spend alot of Bon Fire time around my favorite tree next to a woods line where I usually park my off-road trailer setup.... I have a lot of Ham radio activity from my POPUP trailer and want to search the Internet along with that... I can run a long RG CAT 5/6 cable out to my camper but would like to do this over WIFI generated from the house. Every thing I have tried so far works but I can't see any speed over 25Mbps for my tablet etc... This is too slow to follow TV signals or videos etc... keeps resetting with the circle going around haha... This would be great to do on my off-road trips as well...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. roybraddy

Hoping I have got my thought process passed along ok. I am wanting to build up a workable wireless WIFI internet repeater setup in my backyard That can also be retrofited for being used in my OFF-GRID POPUP setup as well...

I think the WAVLINK WN570HA1 will work being fed by my ASUS ROUTER 100Mbps wired port. The WAVLINK unit will be installed up against one of roof rain gutter down spouts with the 120VAC provided by the house and WIFI Internet connection by my house cable internet connection from local internet provider.

The WAVLINK unit will look something like this site photo overlooking my backyard area where my backyard camp site is located.

[​IMG]
    google image

If this setup will give a good solid 100Mbps WIFI signal allowing me to walk around my camp site area next to my little woods here with a fast internet connection speed then I want to adapt this same idea to my OFF-ROAD Camper setup and feed the same WAVLINK unit mounted to side of my POPUP trailer...

I want to use my 11-inch Tablet for the most part when camping off-grid...

Was hoping to run across someone that has used one these WAVLINK Dual Band WIFI HOT SPOT units...

Or perhaps another WIFI Repeater idea would be a better way to go...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Roy I have a few questions before I can assist with this.
    1. What make model is the router as it will make a difference.
    2. What is the distance to the PUP.
    3. Internet speed in the house to the tablet.
    4. How many devices are on and connected to the WIFI at any given time.
    I have been down this road and it can be very frustrating.
    One more question is how many networks are you detecting in the backyard when you do a network/WIFI search?

6. roybraddy

Hey Bearman… My router in the house is a ASUS RT-AC66U B1 and is hardwired through out the house using RG CAT5 cables. At the house ports I get a good fast internet speed of 93 Mbps or so with anything plugged into the port. However any using WIFI from the ASUS three antenna throughout the house is usually around 25Mbps speed. The router has three 5-inch antennas on it...

My modem feeding the router is ARRIS CM8200A that is providing 100Mbps Internet speed from local ATLANTICBB account. I do speed tests daily on my internet and get 93Mbps or so connection speed Down and 5.000 Mbps Up... Jitter is always about 15-16 ms...

When using my cellphone outside logged into one of my networks speed is 30-40Mbps… Just read it here now and it reads 43Mbps connection speed. This extender is doing a repeater mode from my router antennas about 30 feet away in another room. Not wired directly using CAT 5 cable.

I haven't got my tablet yet but looking at a 11-inch model...

I have tried a couple of external WIFI units in the window here at the house on the back yard PATIO side and get similar results even thought the extenders are rate much higher. Most of this have built in antennas that I have tried... Don't have their model numbers handy...

I will feed the WN570HA1 with RG CAT 5/6 Cable and it is less than 25-feet away from the router port I will be plugged into... Was hoping with the two tall antennas on the WAVLINK unit would get me up to the 100Mbps speed. Think it is rated at 150Mbps speed on one of the taller antennas...

Having purchased a couple of these different units from WALMART that was suppose to be higher speeds thought would ask someone that may have used what I am wanting to purchase... This one sells for $85 from AMAZON PRIME...

Once I get the back yard site going then I wanted to put the same WAVLINK in my popup. My camp site here at the house is around 60-70 feet away from the house where the WAVLINK unit will be mounted on a rain gutter up 10 feet or so...

Hope this info helps...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  7. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Once you are using only the hotspot you are not connected to a WiFi network. There is not enough bandwidth in a hotspot connection using just a cellphone connection to give you the speeds you are asking for. There are some camping areas that have WiFi but most are pretty weak signals. I suggest reading a good book and getting away from news of the day.

8. roybraddy

Dan - We are avid tent campers from the 60s and been running my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer since 2008... Love waking up Creekside and watching the fish jump in the creek haha... Not a big TV fan as you suggest but it is great to be able to check on the WX. Not fun getting caught in wind storm in the POPUP...

I know I need to do some reading on how these things work anymore. With what I have now I can sit around my camp fire here at the house and listen in on several of my Broadcastify scanner internet frequencies just fine... When I want to watch TV or video it slows down to a crawl on me haha... Was hoping the WAVELINK WIRELESS was going to solve that problem for me. Will probably end up running another long RG CAT5 cable out here at the house from my router port...

In my POPUP trailer I have one of those WILSON SLEEK cradles up behind the wrap around inside curtains. I can set my Verizon MIFI unit in the cradle... This has an external antenna on it. With this I get a pretty good coverage around my camp site. It is only good for 2G connections however (older unit)...

[​IMG]
    google image

This allows me to run around my camp site using my cellphone...

Maybe the 5G stuff coming down the road will solve my little problems haha...

I am into SKYWARN and Emergency Ham Radio OPS...

NCIS dude's only use earbuds haha..

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  9. bearman512

Roy, Dan is somewhat correct when only a cell connection is available as you can get higher hotspot speeds by requesting it but that will cost you more $ monthly and the standard is 25 Mbps on 4g with 5g providing you are able to get 5g requiring a 5g phone you will get as a minimum up to 150 Mbps over your cell connection.
    As for home your ASUS router is a really good router BUT it only has a 55' radius and at the limit it will only produce 75% of the Mbps check WiFi speed standing within 5' of the router and then 25-30' and note the speed difference. My Motorola modem/router produces 75 Mbps within 5' and then at 30' it is only 43 Mbps.
    You can change the channels in the router and this may produce more Mbps but that said I am leery about the Wavlink stating 500m range for $80. It just might work for your situation, the best WiFiranger sky pro with 1 1/2 mile range will set you back over $500 but will only give you the speed available at the hotspot and most RV parks broadcast less than 25 Mbps which is enough to watch live TV via Cinema or Typhoon APK's loaded to android phones and cast to the TV I do this all the time now but you need to run a VPN that might slow your speeds down.

10. bearman512

11. roybraddy

Thanks BEARMAN - Sounds like just what I have been experiencing here.. Nothing works the way you think it should...

I am going ahead and get the WAVLINK. It would definitely be better coverage here in patio area here at the house than I am getting from a much smaller window mounted unit from the house... I will feed it with a RG CAT5/6 cable directly from my ASUS router... I can waste another $85 haha... I am only about 25 feet from my house patio setup so it should be a strong signal coming from the WAVLINK antennas...

I think I will also upgrade my WILSON SLEEK unit in my POPPUP trailer as well... Might wait until 5G gets on board more first. Verizon network has been great for my cellphone service...

Thanks for the info...

I was just wanting to run around in my yard with a large tablet in my hands like the WX Channel guys and News guys do haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. bearman512

Agree with all good luck!

13. roybraddy

Bearman - My working days had me down in T or C area out on Ted Turner land where we had a Space Surveillance tracking station. Great country out there.

I drove out a lot from another same system site in Wichita Falls TX... One trip I pitched a tent over night in the high country north of T or C on 380 in volcano land and saw my first BLACK Rattlesnake... I guess when they eat the black rocks it turns their color haha...

Never had my POPUP trailer out that... Used to live in Tempe AZ in the 60s - 70s and the big deal there was tent camping and pulling a utility trailer with a Jeep. Camped all over the high country North of Phoenix... Loved the Apache Trail area... All kinds of off shoots to tent camp on. Used go in groups of two or three jeeps...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. bearman512

Sounds like you had some fun while working. We are headed to the Tucson area next week for some glamping in the 5th wheel. April we are going to get lost in the Gila National primitive camping with 4Runner and tent. This picture taken after a controlled burn.
    [​IMG]

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I tried sever extenders and repeaters. Help if you have a weak single to start with. But most of the time it's not reliable if you bost it. We camp where there is most likely poor to no wifi.

Currently on the road with no wifi. Drove 8 miles to get wifi.

I'm with the others there is not a good solution. But this is part of the reason I still have a garmi gps. Hate to wake up to head out and have no wifi and google maps is not working. But the trusty garmin is working.

16. roybraddy

TENTRAILER - My working with SPAWAR guys out of Charleston SC and our Navy Space Surveillance System across the bottom part of the US sold me on using VERIZON Towers... Most of the other carriers were only available up and down the Interstates and large towns.

When you got away from those areas for us VERIZON worked pretty good. We all had govt issue Verizon MIFI units and could plug into the sites electronics and maintain good contact...

When I stopped in GOBER TX to visit some family grave sites VERIZON CELLPHONE service only thing that works... Having the other carriers you had to do a GREEN ACRES and climb a telephone pole haha...

Working on the Air Force Radar stations along the US/Canada border was off grid to cell service big time when they were operational back in the 70s...

My VERIZON MIFI units have saved the day many times for me camping off-grid... Most of my camping OFF-GRID is in the South Eastern part of the US and really wanted to follow suit at the really far places out in the far North Western states. Never got to do many of those trips.

Back in the 70s we were up at Fortuna Air Force Station working on their radar. This was really off grid haha... Nothing worked up there cell phone wise... No telephone phones to climb up on either haha... I think all of those Air Force Radar stations are closed down now...

Getting to old now to even think about doing any of it now...

Off-grid for me now is behind Harrisonburg VA along the wooded VA/WVA state line border inside the George Washington Natl Forest... I have a nice well hidden spot not to far from a place called FLAGPOLE Ridge. As hidden as it is however my loud Ham Radio ops usually gives me away and then there is a Forest Ranger standing there checking me out haha... They have gotten used to me now and its a good coffee stop for them...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Yep, I got verizon. But we get far back into nowhere. Just our last trip. No wifi at about 50% of the areas we camped. Some of those areas we could go to the SP or Federal office and get guest wifi at the office. At one park that was a 15 mile drive from our campsite to the office to use the guest wifi.

18. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Well-Known Member

I'm an Enterprise IT infrastructure consultant for my day job, so feel free to PM me anytime. I can tell you that most wifi repeaters are awful, regardless if "professional grade" or "consumer grade"! The better ones will broadcast on the 2.4Ghz radio (802.11g at a max of 54Mbps) and back-haul on the 5Ghz (802.11n and 802.11ac) radio. Getting a good repeater over 100 Mbps is darn near impossible. Your best bet is to run outdoor grade Cat-5e or Cat-6 (if under 100 meters) or fiber and run through a quality media converter, then setup a second access point (AP) closer to where you're trying to work. If running over Copper, you can do Power over Ethernet (POE) with a compatible switch and access point to avoid running both network cable and power to your second AP. Running fiber or non-compatible equipment will require a power source near your second AP.

Another option I've done for clients is using a microwave link to shoot wireless over non 802.11 standards to a remote point that has line-of-sight, then (assuming you have power available) capture that microwave link and drop into a standard access point. Those can run up to 1Gbps with decent gear. Again, Ubiquti has some good low-cost microwave gear.

And as I'm sure you know, 4G will not reach anywhere near 100Mbps range. For "extending" while camping, I'd switch to a CradlePoint router that will hand off your 4G connection to an ethernet cable rather than just a crappy built-in wifi radio, then you can locate some outdoor APs where-ever you want (Ubiquti has some decent outdoor solutions for fair prices).

Also just for everyone who's not as technical, 1 MBps = 8 Mbps :)

19. roybraddy

Thanks for info. I have had this problem for many years and thought there may be a work around with newer equipment...

Running CAT 5/6 cable to my camping spot next to the woods is a doable option here. I already have run 120VAC drop out that way… Sounds like I need to get some 3/4 inch PVC pipes in the ground and install a working pedestal haha...

I do see mid 40Mbps speeds and that should do pretty good with video content...

Also see vertical antennas on a few RV units so they are doing something like this on the road... Just can't expect a large coverage range it seems...

I have an older RCA MAVEN PRO here that is an early version of the 2N1 tablets. It has a 10-inch screen... I was surprised yesterday connecting its mini HDMI connector up to my console setup. Got a full screen view with sound... Just not very portable haha...

Thanks again for your comments...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

20. roybraddy

Wonder what we can expect with the expansion on the 5G network. We have a community comms tower with-in eye sight here which will most likely have 5G on it sooner or later... Hoping bigger bandwidth which will give higher speeds...

Can't afford the very high dollar Public Radio scanners anymore so I load down my internet connection with many BROADCASTIFY com radio links... I can have 10 or 12 of these links going here 24/7 haha...

Things are in a constant change for sure...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

rescamilla likes this.