WIFI EXTENDER HOTSPOT

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by roybraddy, Feb 21, 2020.

1. SuperYooper

SuperYooper Member

My FIL has been upgrading everything and showing it all off, which of course makes everyone like him more. [:(!] That being said, his new truck upgrade (some sort of Chevy Silverado) has been a boon for him when camping. He subscribes to OnStar for something ridiculous like $20 a month for unlimited use and his cell signal is fantastic. He can get a cell signal from the summer cabin when everyone else just turns their phones off. Normally he just opens up the hood and puts a trickle charge on the battery and then keeps his truck in the "not running but still kinda on" mode so that his in-truck wifi stays on. He then parks his truck so the wifi signal goes to the places he wants it to go to. He can easily run a movie off of Amazon Prime on his TV in his new camper [:(!][:(!] and still have enough bandwidth to have my MIL surf on her phone because his movie choices are awful. [:D][:D][:D] He is currently trying to figure out a way to not need to open the hood for a trickle charge and instead just have a plug. I have no idea what his speeds are but it seems to do him quite well.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I can do much of the same thing here using my local provider being ATLANTICBB but my problem is I can't get very far away from the WIFI antenna. Up close I get fantastic speed but even just five feet away it starts dropping off...

ON STAR sounds like a satellite connection much like my SIRIUS RADIO setup in my Ford Truck... But SIRIUS RADIO is only good for my good ole country music anywhere I go haha...

I will check out 'ON STAR' and see what that is about.... Thanks for the input...

I'm thinking the new 5G that is just starting up everywhere is going to give me a lot of speed and bandwidth... Got my eyes on that for sure... We have a local community cell phone tower within eyes view from my land so when it gets 5G going I should be able to do what I want for sure... Just hope the lower frequency RF Radiation from the tower won't do me in hehe...

My hero was always JIM CANTORE WX Channel and I really want to run around my campground setup at the edge of my little woods with my 11-inch TABLET checking on all of my Emergency Radio links. I've learned some good pointers from my post here already to make it happen... I'm hoping for the best haha...

'ON STAR' huh....

My little woods area is behind my OFF-ROAD POPUP in this photo in my signature line...

With my luck I will get all of this setup and the county won't let me have a back yard bon-fire anymore haha...

UPDATE: My truck is FORD so FORD has a what is called SYNC that is suppose to much the same as ON STAR GM is using... Sounds pretty complicated to me. Of course my 2010 model F150 is probably not going to support any of this haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news SuperYooper but the OnStar WiFi Hotspot is not OnStar. OnStar equipment provides a WiFi Hotspot possibly proprietary to AT&T similar to a smart phone only it has a small booster. It's like any of the Cell boosters requiring at least 1 bar of reception from a cell antenna to provide the 4G signal which is what your friend is paying for Unlimited AT&T 4G service. My WeBoost provides the boost and my phone can provide up to 10 connections. The more connections the less bandwidth.
    Here is a question asked in OnStar support page
    There is no cheap Satellite systems available and the best you can get is 2Mbps on all of them.
    Think of Onstar as a Garmin InReach Mini as it will send an automated message when your vehicle breaks down with a GPS coordinate of its location.
    [​IMG]

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Roy I have had a little luck with "BearWiFi" for camp grown Wifi. It just about doubles the signal. I believe it's just a booster. But it only works as a frontend for a windows system. So I use my laptop as a hotspot.

5. roybraddy

I'm pretty much convinced that I will run some CAT 5/6 cable from my ASUS router here in the house out to a close by pedestal pole. I will also run a 30AMP 120V source there as well.

With the pedestal there wired into my Cable Internet setup should do me just fine around my house camp ground setup...

About to get all of my Emergency Radio Comms figured to keep me busy this summer...

Today I got my CC Pocket Radio figured out on setting the WEATHER ALERT setting... I have only been using the great FM RADIO sounds out of it... This CC Pocket receiver made by CCrane is really a jewel...

I am going ahead and getting the WAVELINK WN370HA1 that has two pretty large WIFI Antennas on it... This will be close to camp site and should get at least some 40-45Mbps speed out it for my tablet to work...

Appreciate all of the comments so far...

ADDED NOTES... After looking up the BEAR WIFI I see it might hae a couple of improvements for me... Might look into it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Roy, if you are running a 30 amp 120 run? What I have done in the past has been run a 3 with ground wire. Never know when you want 2 phase. I leave the red wire tied back unused. If its a long run, I would consider using one size larger wire for less voltage drop.

Twice I have used the second phase. Years ago I needed two phase for a welder and currently I need to convert the two ends to two phase.

7. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

5G will be a whole new world compared to 4G. 5G will massively disrupt internet communications as we know it. Without getting too political, there is a reason that broadband access and "fiber to the home" in this country has been massively slowed in deployment compared to other countries... Verizon and the big wireless providers are banking on selling 5G to individual homes, not just mobile phone users. 4G runs at about 20 Mbps, 5G is expected to run anywhere between 50Mbps and 2000 Mbps (2 Gbps)

Just for some background knowledge for anyone interested... Speed and bandwidth are two separate terms. Speed, also known as latency, is a measurement of time for a packet of data to get from the client (phone, PC, whatever) to the server and back again. It depends on network gear and actual physical distance. It's usually measured in milli-seconds (ms). A corporate network usually runs in the 5-15 ms range, general internet traffic to Google and back is usually in the 20-40ms range. Anything over 80ms is considered slow (unless of course, you're going from the US to China and back... long distance requires more time even at the speed of light on a fiber network).
    Satellite connections usually have high latency - the signal has to bounce to outer space and back down... once in each direction.
    Bandwidth is what most people are talking about when they think about "speed" - and it's the term that ISPs use mistakenly. If you think about water flowing through a pipe in plumbing terms, the speed the water is moving through the pipe is latency/speed, the diameter of the pipe that dictates how much data can move through that pipe is bandwidth. The higher the bandwidth, the more water you can move through at a given speed. So higher bandwidth makes things seem "faster" because you're moving more data in less time.

The more data-intense the online resource you're using, the more data has to be pulled through that pipe. Data on the internet is sent in small chunks called packets. The bigger the pipe, the faster it all arrives, gets re-assembled and displayed to you. Text < Graphics < Audio < Video < 4K Video. :)

8. roybraddy

Thanks for the suggestion... Not real sure how far I will go with this setup in my little woods area.. I just like to sit outside and drinking my coffee and playing with my radio comms...

appreciate the input...

Roy Ken