WIFI EXTENDER HOTSPOT

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by roybraddy, Feb 21, 2020.

1. SuperYooper

SuperYooper Member

My FIL has been upgrading everything and showing it all off, which of course makes everyone like him more. [:(!] That being said, his new truck upgrade (some sort of Chevy Silverado) has been a boon for him when camping. He subscribes to OnStar for something ridiculous like $20 a month for unlimited use and his cell signal is fantastic. He can get a cell signal from the summer cabin when everyone else just turns their phones off. Normally he just opens up the hood and puts a trickle charge on the battery and then keeps his truck in the "not running but still kinda on" mode so that his in-truck wifi stays on. He then parks his truck so the wifi signal goes to the places he wants it to go to. He can easily run a movie off of Amazon Prime on his TV in his new camper [:(!][:(!] and still have enough bandwidth to have my MIL surf on her phone because his movie choices are awful. [:D][:D][:D] He is currently trying to figure out a way to not need to open the hood for a trickle charge and instead just have a plug. I have no idea what his speeds are but it seems to do him quite well.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I can do much of the same thing here using my local provider being ATLANTICBB but my problem is I can't get very far away from the WIFI antenna. Up close I get fantastic speed but even just five feet away it starts dropping off...

ON STAR sounds like a satellite connection much like my SIRIUS RADIO setup in my Ford Truck... But SIRIUS RADIO is only good for my good ole country music anywhere I go haha...

I will check out 'ON STAR' and see what that is about.... Thanks for the input...

I'm thinking the new 5G that is just starting up everywhere is going to give me a lot of speed and bandwidth... Got my eyes on that for sure... We have a local community cell phone tower within eyes view from my land so when it gets 5G going I should be able to do what I want for sure... Just hope the lower frequency RF Radiation from the tower won't do me in hehe...

My hero was always JIM CANTORE WX Channel and I really want to run around my campground setup at the edge of my little woods with my 11-inch TABLET checking on all of my Emergency Radio links. I've learned some good pointers from my post here already to make it happen... I'm hoping for the best haha...

'ON STAR' huh....

My little woods area is behind my OFF-ROAD POPUP in this photo in my signature line...

With my luck I will get all of this setup and the county won't let me have a back yard bon-fire anymore haha...

UPDATE: My truck is FORD so FORD has a what is called SYNC that is suppose to much the same as ON STAR GM is using... Sounds pretty complicated to me. Of course my 2010 model F150 is probably not going to support any of this haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news SuperYooper but the OnStar WiFi Hotspot is not OnStar. OnStar equipment provides a WiFi Hotspot possibly proprietary to AT&T similar to a smart phone only it has a small booster. It's like any of the Cell boosters requiring at least 1 bar of reception from a cell antenna to provide the 4G signal which is what your friend is paying for Unlimited AT&T 4G service. My WeBoost provides the boost and my phone can provide up to 10 connections. The more connections the less bandwidth.
    Here is a question asked in OnStar support page
    There is no cheap Satellite systems available and the best you can get is 2Mbps on all of them.
    Think of Onstar as a Garmin InReach Mini as it will send an automated message when your vehicle breaks down with a GPS coordinate of its location.
    [​IMG]

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Roy I have had a little luck with "BearWiFi" for camp grown Wifi. It just about doubles the signal. I believe it's just a booster. But it only works as a frontend for a windows system. So I use my laptop as a hotspot.

5. roybraddy

I'm pretty much convinced that I will run some CAT 5/6 cable from my ASUS router here in the house out to a close by pedestal pole. I will also run a 30AMP 120V source there as well.

With the pedestal there wired into my Cable Internet setup should do me just fine around my house camp ground setup...

About to get all of my Emergency Radio Comms figured to keep me busy this summer...

Today I got my CC Pocket Radio figured out on setting the WEATHER ALERT setting... I have only been using the great FM RADIO sounds out of it... This CC Pocket receiver made by CCrane is really a jewel...

I am going ahead and getting the WAVELINK WN370HA1 that has two pretty large WIFI Antennas on it... This will be close to camp site and should get at least some 40-45Mbps speed out it for my tablet to work...

Appreciate all of the comments so far...

ADDED NOTES... After looking up the BEAR WIFI I see it might hae a couple of improvements for me... Might look into it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Roy, if you are running a 30 amp 120 run? What I have done in the past has been run a 3 with ground wire. Never know when you want 2 phase. I leave the red wire tied back unused. If its a long run, I would consider using one size larger wire for less voltage drop.

Twice I have used the second phase. Years ago I needed two phase for a welder and currently I need to convert the two ends to two phase.

7. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Well-Known Member

5G will be a whole new world compared to 4G. 5G will massively disrupt internet communications as we know it. Without getting too political, there is a reason that broadband access and "fiber to the home" in this country has been massively slowed in deployment compared to other countries... Verizon and the big wireless providers are banking on selling 5G to individual homes, not just mobile phone users. 4G runs at about 20 Mbps, 5G is expected to run anywhere between 50Mbps and 2000 Mbps (2 Gbps)

Just for some background knowledge for anyone interested... Speed and bandwidth are two separate terms. Speed, also known as latency, is a measurement of time for a packet of data to get from the client (phone, PC, whatever) to the server and back again. It depends on network gear and actual physical distance. It's usually measured in milli-seconds (ms). A corporate network usually runs in the 5-15 ms range, general internet traffic to Google and back is usually in the 20-40ms range. Anything over 80ms is considered slow (unless of course, you're going from the US to China and back... long distance requires more time even at the speed of light on a fiber network).
    Satellite connections usually have high latency - the signal has to bounce to outer space and back down... once in each direction.
    Bandwidth is what most people are talking about when they think about "speed" - and it's the term that ISPs use mistakenly. If you think about water flowing through a pipe in plumbing terms, the speed the water is moving through the pipe is latency/speed, the diameter of the pipe that dictates how much data can move through that pipe is bandwidth. The higher the bandwidth, the more water you can move through at a given speed. So higher bandwidth makes things seem "faster" because you're moving more data in less time.

The more data-intense the online resource you're using, the more data has to be pulled through that pipe. Data on the internet is sent in small chunks called packets. The bigger the pipe, the faster it all arrives, gets re-assembled and displayed to you. Text < Graphics < Audio < Video < 4K Video. :)

8. roybraddy

Thanks for the suggestion... Not real sure how far I will go with this setup in my little woods area.. I just like to sit outside and drinking my coffee and playing with my radio comms...

appreciate the input...

Roy Ken

9. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

I have a question regarding these wifi extenders.

Background- I am moving in to my PUP for 2 weeks because I anticipate getting infected with Covid 19. It's set up in the driveway. My home wifi does not reach. Do I plug the extender in to the house, nearest the camper, or nearest the router, or right in the camper? I feel kind of silly needing to ask this. I appreciate your patience. I'd like to be able to access the internet from my temporary home.

10. roybraddy

Well at least the POPUP will have a couple of beds and you can watch TV and listen to the radio for the extended time... I would bring out a low profile electric heater to use during the night and not the propane one. In my case the built-in Propane runs me out of the trailers no matter what setting I try to use haha... I use one of these low profile electric heaters.. I am assuming you are going to be plugged into your 120VAC source for power. In my case I have an air compressor station that is using a 30AMP position from the house wall panel. This is the only thing on the circuit so this is where I always plug in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer when at home using one of those long 30A adapter cords.

[​IMG]
    Google image...

This is perfect for us being only 14-inches high and works great keeping it warm inside our off-road popup...

I doubt your plan is going to keep the virus at bay completely... You will have a bath room/shower problem and of course you will need supplies and things from the house probably on a daily basis. It will knock down a lot of the virus most likely... Everything you and your wife touches will be prone to spread the virus no matter what you do...

Here in my house I have one of those ASUS ROUTERS RT-AC66U B1 model that has wired ports and antenna ports. This is directly fed from my CABLE PROVIDER 100MBPS Internet connection Modem. The wired ports feed several rooms in the house using RG CAT 5/6 cables and allows me to plug into the router directly for the fastest and best signal for our devices... The Antenna on the AUSU Router provides a signal throughout the house but the speed varies a lot. The wired ports gives me a good 90-100MBPS signals but the Antennas only give a real strong signal a foot or so away from the router. Throughout the house it will vary from 10MBPS to never over 40MBPS... This is border line for watching movies etc... I watch missed TV stations all the time using the wired port connection with my home computer. Works great...

I have used one of the wired ports to run a RG CAT5/6 signal to a NETGEAR AC750 WIFI Extender (WALMART $88.00) sitting in the house window closes to my backyard patio area. IT does pretty good but I never see a signal over 40MBPS using my devices sitting in the patio area.

For the best signal you would want to run a RG CAT5/6 WIFI signal directly to your popup trailer... Maybe you can follow the 120VAC power cable with the CAT5/6 cable from the house to the trailer. The CAT5/6 cable would plug into your laptop etc... Or you might want the CAT5/6 cable plug into a WIFI Extender like the NEATGEAR AC750 sitting inside your trailer with its antennas. Your computer/devices might get a decent fast signal from it that... Some CELLPHONES also can become a WIFI HOTSPOT. My Gibbs Flip Phone is too old for that haha... If you are running several devices speakers etc you will want to have a 12VDC Charging station inside to keep your devices internal batteries always charged up...Having your 120VAC working will work great and let you do that like you do in the house but good to have a backup plan...

Having said all of this I am hoping the ANTENNA discussed here in my initial report will give me a good 60-70MBPS signal from its antenna as it is more stronger signal wise... Of Course everyone that has responded to this says "GOOD LUCK" haha... They are telling me to run a CAT5/6 cable directly to my popup trailer for fastest speed when it is sitting here at the house haha...

I get great TV service from my POPUP trailer using the BATWING antenna. I have a short pole mounted on the side of my trailer putting the BATWING antenna about two feet above the roof... This setup gets Washington DC TV form the North and Richmond VA TV from the south... I am also setup good with my HAM RADIO units operating from the trailer. In my case I would have a lot of things to keep up my spirits if I was to move into my trailer for a long period of time...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Wishing you the best on the VIRUS deal... It hasn't peaked around here yet and probably won't for a couple more months... I am the only one going to the stores here for groceries and things etc... So far so good "knock on wood"...

Interesting concept of using the trailer. The virus is an airborn thing and the trailer may not be the best thing air flow wise to use in this case. I got fans blowing everywhere haha...

Hope some of this gives you some ideas...

Hoping others on here can offer suggestions as well... This is nothing to mess around with...

I for one have a yard with dogs and cats and I can imagine how they are going to react with me in the trailer 24/7 haha.. They gonna want to inside too I suspect...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  11. Dave Brick

Roy, I appreciate your concern. Viruses die quickly in soapy water, hence the admonition to wash your hands with soap. I will have a soapy water "bus pan" for removing dirty dishes from my meals. I have a half bath just a few steps inside the side door. I will call ahead to clear the area when I need to use it. I can certainly store enough clothing for a two week stay. Boredom will be the biggest issue I foresee.

12. roybraddy

You didn't say if you are running off the house 120VAC.. I have one of those 30A long adapters where I can run a long 10-gauge size extension cord to the trailer (I have a contractor grade yellow HD extension cord) Those red extension cords from WALMART are not large enough wire size and will get hot on you when being used.

I plug my extension cord into a standard receptacle in my garage that is being fed a 30A service from the house breaker panel. Then I run the 50-foot extension cord out to my trailer where I have the 30A long adapter cord that looks like this. Then I can plug the trailer 30A cord into the adapter..
    [​IMG]
    google image

I have found this long adapter never over heats where the smaller plastic type do... When they over heat they can burn out your trailer 30A Plug... You can get this long adapter from AMAZON or WALMART...

Having a 30A service will be just like camping at a camp ground with a power pedestal.

As you are probably aware your lights and a lot of other items run off of BATTERY 12VDC which is kept charged up using a converter/charger unit... Without a 120VC 30A power source in your driveway you will not be able to run very long just using your 12VDC battery setup. will get dark on you pretty quick. Having two 12VDC batteries is a good idea but your converter/charger may have to be changed to one that produces a higher DC amp charge for the additional battery. Having a smart mode converter/charge is ideal as well... Some of the older converters only produce 13.6vdc and this will boil out your battery fluids if left on charge for long periods of time... I like having the 12VDC batteries hooked up even when on 120VAC Service. Seems to help level everything out being connected...

After you hookup to your garage you will want to check all of the connections to see if things are running cool...

I do this for my OFF_ROAD trailer sitting in my back yard all the time... Just adding comments on what I would want to do if I was doing a long stay in my OFF-ROAD camper... I like having PLAN B's haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. Dave Brick

My PUP is parked right in front of the garage. My plug reaches to an outlet in the garage. Power won't be a problem.

14. roybraddy

That's great... Most of the household plugs are rated at 20AMPS however and this may easily get tripped by turning on the high current items in the trailer at the same time... I lucked out on my household circuit being an available 30AMPS Breaker.... Look around and see if you have an available 30AMPS Household circuit you can use... You can get up to 20AMPS rather easy haha..

If you trip the house breaker then you probably will have to go inside and reset it haha... It may be dark in the trailer if your batteries are not being used...

These are PLAN B things to consider and plan for haha...

Also what kind or 30A to 15A/20A Power Adapter are you use to match up with your 30A Plug on the trailer... Just a reminder that those small plastic/rubber type that looks like this may get hot on you and burn up your 30A Trailer plug...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    google images...

You need to use the one I showed earlier...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  15. roybraddy

Another power saving thing I do is using one of these coffee makers... I love the fresh ground and brewed bean coffee... This unit is only on-line for about five minutes and pours up into a 10-cup thermos coffee pot that keeps the coffee hot for many hours and not be drawing any energy...

[​IMG]

My backup is to use a coffee grinder powered by my 2KW generator and use my coleman coffee maker on the propane stovetop...

[​IMG]

I always bring my best taste to me bottled water to make sure I get the same taste coffee every time I brew it...

Of course in your case you should be able to use a water connection from a house outside water connection...

I use my own TV setup but you should be able to bring out a TV Connection from the house as well using a long RG cable... WALMART has several small TV SETS... I like the VIZIO brand but one of their $88 20-inch Phillips that has HDMI ports on it will work well with your laptop and give you a nice big screen if needed... Both video and audio from your laptop will make you a nice large screen to use. Then you can switch to TV mode as well using the thumper etc... makes for a nice multi mode console setup... This is what I am typing on as we speak haha Only raise the laptop lid to turn the power on... The big screen and ext keyboard with wireless mouse is my console using WIN10 older DELL laptop... Works well for both Internet and TV connections etc...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's console Image

You should be able to setup all of this and get things working before you actually need it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. Dave Brick

Thanks Roy, as I said, power won't be a problem. I will not get near 20A. 10A would be about the most. No microwave or AC. I have a breaker box in the garage so I won't have to go in if I have somehow misjudged by an order of 2!

I have a little TV with antenna, a radio/CD player, an older version of your 10 cup Cuisinart without the grinder. I'm not a coffee snob, I'm good with Folgers and tap water. I'll probably just upgrade my phone to unlimited data when I move out there.

I'm not moving out forever, just 2 weeks. I can stand on my head for 2 weeks.

17. roybraddy

Rgr that.... I spend most of my time in my Radio Room here at the house. Comes complete with coffee maker and small fridge... Could move in the microwave that is out in the trailer if needed here... I guess I can do almost everything the same staying in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer... Yaking on my Ham Radio, watching TV/Movies, playing with the Internet. I do all of my Radio Scanner needs using BROADCASTIFY com over the internet (can't afford the radio scanners anymore to keep in touch with Police and Rescue Squad where I live.)

This is my OFF-ROAD POPUP floorplan...
    [​IMG]
    Here is where all my junk resides...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Just thinking out loud haha... I'll leave you be....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020