WIFI in the campground

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by tennesseestargazer, Sep 28, 2011.

1. tennesseestargazer

tennesseestargazer New Member

I know most of us want to get away from technology when we camp, but some of us need to be in contact. I do some remote admin work on some systems. My favorite campground has poor cellphone coverage, but the local phone company can provide DSL service to the campground. I've talked to the operators to try to get permission to set up wifi on a pay per use setup, but they don't want to do it. I am willing to share a percentage of the income to the campground. I'm providing the equipment and labor to set the system up. I can create packages for access like x number of hours over x number of days. I can create splash screens to advertize local businesses and services. Free access vouchers for VIP guests or volunteers too. If I can provide some data as to what visitors to other campgrounds think, it might help me win them over. There is a possiblity if I could get enough businesses interested in advertising local services that the service could go to free wifi with income by ad banners only.

My questions are

1. what would you pay for 6 hours over a 3 day stay?

2. what would you pay for 12 hours over a 7 day stay?

3. what would you pay for 24 hours over a 2 week stay.

4. would free wifi for local info only be usefull for your stay?

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I think commercial campgrounds should provide wifi as a free service. I hate the practice of some hotels charging for it.

If I don't have a good enough 3G signal to access the internet, I'll just go somewhere where I can get a signal. I am not paying wifi fees on top of campground fees. They should be built into the base rate.

3. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I am one of those who would not be in your target demographics as I don't really care for wi-fi at the site and we only camp at state parks which quite a few have free wi-fi up at the park office. But on some rare occasions, being able to get on the internet durring some past trips would have came in handy.

1) $2

2) $4

3) $8

4) I personally would use my GPS for local points of interest for anything that I didn't already research before the trip, so probably not.

Edit: Now if we camped at a private campground, I would not pay a penny for it due to the high cost of private campgrounds vs the state parks. I can camp an entire weekend at a state park for the same amount as only one night at some private campgrounds, so if needed I would pay a few dollars for campsite wi-fi at a state park and it would still be cheaper than a private CG.

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I don't understand why, if the campground wanted to provide wifi, they wouldn't do it themselves and cut out a middleman. Sorry, but it's unlikely you're going to land a contract.

Charging extra for wifi is nickel and diming customers, and may well drive off customers to other places.

5. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I'm with the "not paying for it crowd".

I went to Paris last year and Vienna the year before, and encountered outrageous internet charges at hotels there, compared to North American hotels where it is usually free. I went instead to Internet cafes for a fraction of the price.

In Paris, there was a McDonalds close by which had free WiFi.

Typically we don't bring a laptop camping, if we did, I don't think we'd want to pay more for WiFi.

6. gec66

gec66 Active Member

The answer really depends on why I am there. If I am there for 2-3 nights for a weekend getaway, I would pay nothing. I am there to hang out with family, read, relax, etc. When we camp on vacation the scenario is entirely different. I might use wifi for access to e-mail to stay on top of developing issues while I am out. That is usually limited to no more than 2 hours a day, one hour in morning and one hour at night. Most times it is less. At that point I would be willing to pay if that is my only option, but I have yet to encounter the issue of pay for access.

The next question is support. How are you going to support the system? There are bound to be hiccups where the router needs to be re-set, etc. People get awfully irate if they have paid for a service that goes down before the meter expired and I'm sure the campground is wary of customers demanding refunds. When it is free the customer can't demand a refund and is usually limited to mild complaining.

7. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

If you are in an area with 3G service, you can sign up for a plan with companies like Verizon, Clear, etc. to get a portable Hot Spot.

Mine is a small box about 3" square. It can be powered or will run on it's battery for ~3 hours.

The Hot Spot connects to the Internet and broadcasts itself as a WiFi source. You then connect to it with your laptop, ipad, etc.

You can secure it with a password so that only people that know that password can connect to it.

My unit will connect to 4G service (faster than 3G) if it is available. If not it throttles down to 3G.

The key is being in an area with 3G service. Check with the vendor's coverage map.

Hope that helps.

8. wapwap

wapwap New Member

I'm not really keen on paying for wifi at a campground (or at a hotel, for that matter). Most of our trips are weekenders and we'd rather ask locals where they'd go to eat or what to do. We've gotten some really good recommendations that way. For those trips that are longer, we've been known to bring our netbook and upload photos for the grandparents to see mid-trip, or check emails or such. But we'll head to some where with free wifi to do it - and if it doesn't happen, that's fine too. If we're out somewhere that isn't an option and we needed access, well then I suppose we'd pay for it. Though I'd be more inclined to pay less and probably only at a state park. Private/Commercial campgrounds are pretty expensive as it is and we don't usually camp there.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I would never pay a cent for it.

10. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Excuse me if this steps on toes here...but isn't this SPAM? [{:)] (or close to it?)

11. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

Nor would I

12. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

I wouldn't pay for it either. The only wifi thing I have is my Nook. I can download books before I leave for the trip.

13. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I am guessing that this entire thread with all the posts will never be printed out and handed to the campground owners for consideration.

14. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Some, if not all, of our Louisiana State Parks have free wi-fi access. A couple of the private campgrounds that we've been to have it too.

Although I'll admit that I've used it on occasion to access weather info, I don't normally use electronic gadgets on campouts. If the campground didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it. If they have it, I may access it infrequently. In either case, I wouldn't pay extra for it.

There are too many free hotspots (McDonalds, coffee shops, etc.) around to pay for access at a hotel or campground. If I just had to have internet access all the time, I would invest in a data plan for a smartphone or computer card through my cell provider.

15. tennesseestargazer

tennesseestargazer New Member

I've been looking at this from a different way. Making it a free hotspot, but sponsored my local businesses. I'm not really looking to make a lot of money off of the service, just making it available. I also help with astronomy programs at this park and having internet access for data would be great.

16. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

The campgrounds I've stayed at that has WiFi it is free.

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Howdy TN! Rather than ask 'general campers' on here, since you participate in activities AT that particular campground, why not ask permission to take a poll of sorts? Maybe print out little opinion sheets for the astronomy programs, asking their overall opinion of the program and add the wifi question to the end. Maybe a general "Suggestion Sheet", given to each camper, asking if it would enhance their visit, and what they could pay.

At least then, your data would be more relative, making a stronger point. [;)]

Good luck!

[:D]