Wifi reception,equipment

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by campinggordons, Jun 14, 2015.

1. campinggordons

campinggordons New Member

We camp a lot at state parks most of them offer free wi-fi at the park stores and cabins and if you're lucky you can catch signal at your tent site. I was wondering if there is a set up to allow me to better "grab" that signal? I have Verizon and I've found that my internet on my smart phone tends to be weak at many campgrounds as well. I work for a roadside assistance company and would like to be able to have internet when we travel. IF there isn't a way to get better signal from the already free WiFi I would be interested in purchasing something that would allow me to have internet. I just don't know what I need.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Depends, if you have a good cell signal then maybe a smart phone with a personal hot spot?

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

We like to pull in free WiFi when we can get it. But, the reception on our devices usually didn't have much gain in them to get it. Sooooooo I stuck an antenna up on top of my T.V. antenna, that goes down to the router to amplify a hot spot around my trailer that all devices connect to easily. I can get a signal from a flat mile away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Milehifireguy

Milehifireguy New Member

Hifidave, what is your exact setup you have pictured there for the wifi antenna? I have an old router just sitting around and would like to know what you hooked up to your TV antenna?

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Thanks to HiFiDave. Jefa Tech system works great. I had a Verison hot spot in the red dry bag. Tell you the truth, I am not impressed by any Hot Spot that I tried including T-Mobile's. My smart phone (ATT) gets better wifi but both hot spots failed miserably. I don't understand it. (Note: We need wifi for the laptop so my wife can access her online courses. T.V. antenna is for me so I can watch the cartoons [LOL].)
    [​IMG]

6. swordfish

It's unlikely you can use your old router for repeater use. There is a firmware loaded to the Jefa router that allows you to go to their site to scan all available wifi networks in the area. Here is the site where all the parts are coming from
    http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER/Long-Range-WiFi-Repeater-Kit-for-RVs.html

7. HiFiDave

If you are a sharp enough tech, you can flash any old router and make it work. I'm not that good and as swordfish displayed, the Jefa device just makes it easy. So you can see my T.V off air antenna there and the white wifi antenna. We like it...

8. SR20DEN

SR20DEN New Member

9. HiFiDave

10. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

11. swordfish

Amazon reviews from a few people say it kills their USB ports after some use, otherwise I would have bought one.

Good to know that it exists. This would boost my hot spot signal, but the cost is too high to justify. I swear they (the carriers) use different towers for wifi hot spots (usually poor) than the ones for cell service (usually good).

12. Bpozzy10

Bpozzy10 Go Badgers

I'm wondering how you made this pole and what you used for a anchor. I'm in the same boat as my wife needs wifi for her work. And I'm sure my boys will love all the stations on the tv for the mornings. I was thinking about mounting a 10' pole on the side of pup but I'm afraid that still wouldn't be a tall enough for a super strong signal. Have you tried to do the mounting on the pup first and realized it wasn't enough. Should I not waste my time with that and just build what you have? I'm sure you get some crazy looks your way after you put that up. But I think it's a great idea. WELL DONE