Wildwood State Park Long Island.. Anyone been there?

Discussion in 'New York' started by mjsny, May 6, 2014.

1. mjsny

mjsny Member

We are thinking about visiting some relatives in Long Island in August and want to book a site at Wildwood State Park. Wondering if anyone has feedback about Wildwood SP? Any site recommendations?

2. LI Camper

LI Camper Member

I go there quite often since it's only ~ 20 minutes from my house. The campground isn't "fancy" but it is clean and the sites are a decent size especially if you get an end spot. There are trails to hike and the beach is very nice. Lots of fishing on the beach and kayaking too. It's not too far from Splish Splash water park and also lots of farm stands close by too. Nothing like fresh picked corn on the BBQ! Yum.
    I was just there 2 weekends ago for my annual "first outing shakedown trip of the season" where I make sure everything is good and working after being packed up/ closed up all winter.

Give it a try, you just might like it, lol. [:D]

3. mjsny

mjsny Member

LI Camper many thanks for the information. I have relatives in Mattituck so it looks pretty close.

Any site recommendations. Hard to tell what is good from the site map but I was going to book a site in the top T Loop. T076 was open and it looks like there is some room around it.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/wildwood-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NY&parkId=288

4. LI Camper

LI Camper Member

The only sites I would shy away from would be T1 & T8 (too close to the main entrance to the main loop, T13 (too close to the bathroom, lots of foot traffic, etc) and T45 on the south overlook (it has a large sunken-in area about 3 ft in diameter).

5. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I've thought about camping at Wildwood, I used to go there as a kid (born and raised in Brookhaven). Trouble is, NY seems like they don't want non residents camping on the island. Between the tolls to get there, and what seems like a hassle to get a site without a green card, I've written it off and just camp elsewhere.

Just my 2ยข [2C]

6. LI Camper

LI Camper Member

The green card is only needed for the county parks (smith's point, indian island, cedar point, etc) Wildwood is a state park, that's one of the reasons I prefer it even though Smith's point is only about 5 minutes from my house.

7. brianDwilson71

brianDwilson71 The Great Outdoors

I know this topic is old but I just bought my first popup and live in Port Jefferson Station was wondering some of the best places in Suffolk county to camp. I like the woods better than the beach.
    Brian

8. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Growing up on LI I spent every summer camping at Wildwood. Many fond memories of that place. I'm sure it's changed a lot by now but if I ever get a chance I'd definitely go back there.

9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Ran cross country when I was in high school. Tent camped there with friends as a teenager over 40 years ago. Visited about 20 years ago and the beach seemed a bit too much like Jones Beach. However, the views looking down on Long Island Sound are spectacular.

10. LI Camper

LI Camper Member

wildwood is the best of both worlds. camping area is surrounded by trees and wooded hiking trails (with some awesome views from atop the bluffs of the beach, li sound and connecticut if it's a clear day) and it's also just a short walk down to the beach where you can fish or swim.

11. Abuela-PopPop

Abuela-PopPop New Member

I just came across this thread and I am also interested in visiting Wildwood as I'm upstate NY and my daughter's and her family are in long Beach LI.But when I mentioned to another camper about setting up in Wildwood and leaving to visit my daughter for the day they suggested I not leave my pop up alone ALL day.Should I really worry about leaving my camper alone all day anywhere??? Thanks just curious

12. Sportside

Sportside Member

If you are going to visit Long Beach, I would suggest checking out Nickerson Campground in Lido Beach. Its only a mile out of Long Beach.

13. LI Camper

LI Camper Member

I've left my camper alone there for hours at a time without any problems. There is a park police office right in the campground. I go there quite a bit and have never heard of any problems.

I would have to agree with sportside about staying at Nickersons, Wildwood would be about an hour's drive to Long Beach. One of my co-workers stays at Nickersons and says it's a nice place.

14. Abuela-PopPop

Abuela-PopPop New Member

Thank you Sportside & LI camper for your responses, Nicklersons stopped taking pop ups! I have no idea why but that was out first chose. At least hearing from more then one person on Wildwood I feel I can try it! Thanks again!