Will it tow a 7000 pound trailer????

Jayko

Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha
Jul 10, 2012
Considering the purchase of a 2010 Chevy silverado, it has a 3.42 gear ratio, a 5.3 engine, with Z60 suspention, all riding on 20 inch wheels.

Will it tow a 7000 trailer?

novagirl

retired camper
Jul 13, 2011
We have a 2011 Silverado with the trailer package and the tow rating is 9600 lbs so you should have no problem. Our best friends have the same truck and they tow a Jayco trailer with a dry weight of 7k with no problems. Good luck!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

arthuruscg

Super Active Member
Nov 14, 2012
Check the rear axle rating and your tire rating. The gangster 20" rims cause your tires to have less carring capasity then the normal 17" rims.

mercman

Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!
Jan 7, 2007
Western MA
That's a low gear ratio for towing, check out the trailer towing guides in the towing section, your truck should be there.

joet

Super Active Member
Mar 16, 2011
Elkins WV area
The 3:42 gear ratio is high for serious towing, But will do ok , just struggle in the mountains. But the truck overall will do ok.

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
BB,
BE careful of any towing guide that is not from the auto manufacturer.

Those limits they published are for vehicles maximum tow that have the proper tow package.
If there is not any tow package, it will be much less.
I have found too many mistakes or omissions in those generic listings to put it on this site.

Also, as mentioned before those 20" tires and rims will probably limit it to around 6500lbs towing.
Those tires do not have the carrying capacity.

wapwap

Aug 15, 2011
Looks like you've got quite a bit of advice already. But I'll add my [2C] of experience to the mix. DH's parents had a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 - so it included a heavier suspension and towing package from the manufacturer, as well as some other things. They bought a 30' TT with a dry weight of 7200# and didn't look at any books for weights, just relied on the camper dealer saying okey-dokey.

I knew, from looking at our truck (a 2002, but otherwise exactly the same) that the max tow was 7000#. I pointed out the weight sign still above the door from the dealer to DH. They got the TT home okay. And took it on a few trips (loaded with gear) and complained LOUDLY that it was driving like there were gerbils running the engine.

DH said nothing, went to their truck and pulled out the owner's manual. He opened it to the correct pages and set it in front of his dad. They now have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD and no more complaints.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Call a GM dealership and have them check out the vin number, the dealer should be able to tell you everything you want to know about the truck..

Talonman

Aug 1, 2012
The 20"s have about 130lbs less load rating each.

My truck has the 3.42 and I would pull that trailer without worry, the Denali with the 3.73 picks up like 2000# of extra capacity, IMO if you have the 3.42 keep your foot out of it off the start and you should be fine.

Storm Trooper

Feb 14, 2008
If that is correct about the 20" tires, you will be at 6480 lbs for towing. I had estimated 6500 lbs for towing.
Not only that, if you find a trailer weighing 6480 GVWR, you can't put anything in the TV other than the driver.
You need to figure out how much weight you will put in the TV and subtract that from the max trailer GVWR.
EG; If you put three more people in the truck weighing 350 lbs and have 450 lbs of gear, you max trailer GVWR will be 5680 lbs.
That 7000 lb trailer is way too much for this TV.

BigBaron

Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...
Jun 21, 2012
I thought the tires would break the deal...
I always check several sources to see if they all are similar.
I don't like the 3:43(?) rear end ratio for a heavy trailer. 3:73 is a minimum for something that size IMO.

BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
Get good ol' steel rims and some good tires. Then it should work, I think.

Talonman

Aug 1, 2012
Keep your foot out of it and rock on, just IMO.

If it is such a huge deal get LT tires, the newer 3/4 tons come with 20's. Im rated to pull 8600 and that is with 20" tires.

Storm Trooper

Feb 14, 2008
If he is towing a 7000 lb trailer and can tow 7000 lbs (if he has standard tires), he can put nothing but the driver in the TV.

No passengers, no nothing, nada in the TV.
The OP needs to calculate what he will put in the TV other than himself and deduct that from the 7000 lb rating to get his maximum tow rating.

BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
I just googled 20" LT tires for kicks. $415 each? Is this the going price? Yikes!

Michelin LTX MS/2

I see them selling for $220... That's much better!

FarmerDave

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jayko said:
Considering the purchase of a 2010 Chevy silverado, it has a 3.42 gear ratio, a 5.3 engine, with Z60 suspention, all riding on 20 inch wheels.

Will it tow a 7000 trailer?

3.42 is the DEEP axle on that truck, FIL has one, 6-speed auto, hauled a 6500lb empty travel trailer "ok"

Remember rear axle ratio is only as useful as the trans gearing, "You need 3.73" means nothing.

supton

May 26, 2012
2010 should have the six speed auto. While I think it should have used 3.73's it is the same gearing that GM/Chevrolet used for the 10k plus tow rated trucks. The six speed automatic changes towing drastically from the old 4 speed it replaces.

Moving on, depending upon bed length and cab size, the trucks with a tow package are upwards of 10k or so rated. IMHO though I think 7k is probably the limit. Give or take. Flat land, no prob; lots of hill climbing? Eh... Looking around on other forums I've read plenty of admonition to not exceed 80% of GCWR, and 7k is like around it. As it is you'll be finding out just what the engine sounds like at full song.

I can't comment on the 20" wheels though, nor a non-tow package setup; when I was looking this past spring I was looking at the base models but with tow. YMMV.