Will Larger Tires/Wheels Fit?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Canvas Cur, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

Our little mini-pup (1993 Coleman Destiny Cedar) has the 10" wheels and tires. Has anyone bumped up the tire size from these to 12"? These little tires spin furiously at highway speeds. I know that 12" is not a lot bigger, but compared to these golf-cart size tires, they should be a bit slower RPM's than the 10's are. But, I do not want to use them if they would rub the wheel well. Perhaps a 2" increase will not be too much. If I see a utility trailer with the 12" wheels (maybe at Lowes) I will try and measure the diameter across the tire and compare that with my little ones. My wheels and tires are fairly new, so I am not rushing to do this. If anyone has already made the switch, did you run into any clearance issues? Thanks!

2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Perhaps doing the Axle Flip will give you more room. That's where you put the axle under the suspension springs instead of over them.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Depends on the camper. I went from 10" to 12" on my 80s Coleman Columbia without any issues. You also need to make sure the load capacity is right for your camper. So I wouldn't get a cheep set from Lowes.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You have to look up the diameter of the tires the camper came from the factory and get the specs. Load ratings etc. then you have a starting point. Some Coleman’s had very wide 10 tires with a large diameter and also some you can just move spring mounting bolt for more clearance. Do your homework

tenttrailer and Snow like this.
  5. Michael Guldan

Michael Guldan New Member

Just measure the amount of clearance you have, and then decide !

Wrenchgear likes this.
  6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that fitting the clearance while parked won't account for road bounce. My popup came with wheel wells that were worn, on one side all the way through. And that's with stock sizes.

An axle "flip" will improve your popup's quality of life, and yours too!

7. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I did the exact same thing with my 86 Columbia.

8. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Will that effect the electric braking?

9. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

Yes.
    Will you notice? Probably not.
    A larger diameter tread will move the road contact point further out from the axle center line, but the brake friction circle in the drum or on the disc will stay the same. The 'leverage' of tread to road contact being further out, and the brake swept circle resistance remaining the same, reduces the effective trailer slowing effect that much further out. More brake pad or shoe force will be needed with a larger tire tread diameter to obtain the same tire to pavement brake effort.
    If you have brakes, keep that in mind. You may want to dial up an electric controller a bit. Hydraulic brakes? Not much to do there, but those are self-servo and will self-compensate to a point.
    Most of us considering the wheel and tire size increase (8 to 10, or 10 to 12) don't have brakes.

10. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

On mine and @PopUpSteve the answer was no. The 80’s Columbia did not have brakes.

For you, as @Lug_Nut says dial up the controller higher.

11. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

Good tips from all. Thanks! As to "doing my homework", I went to Lowes and measured the diameter of the 12" tires they had on the utility trailers to get a general idea of size. Next I will measure the tires on the pup. They are fatties, so I will be careful to choose the right weight load if I do make the swap. Flipping the axle is brilliant, but maybe beyond my strength and skillset. Plus...30 years of rust and crud under there! As to brakes, none on this model of pup. One thing I do like about the tiny tires is that it lowers the center of gravity and makes for easy towing. I can see right over the roof (no AC) so maybe the taller tires (maybe 2 inches taller?) would limit that somewhat. I asked here because the decades of experience of so many guys and gals on this site make it a pleasure to see if someone has tried out a project...before I try and re-invent the wheel LOL! Watching the load range of the tires is also a good suggestion, I will check that on my present ones to compare. Again, thanks to all for adding your thoughts. If I do this, I will post results. And who knows...maybe even try the axle flip!

12. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

I just remembered I have the original owners manual. Dug it out. I was looking for the factory specs on the tire load rating and read...YIKES! They are 5.70X 8! Not 10! Forgot they had golf-cart size tires on there! No wonder it tows so low! Guess going up to 12" is not going to fly. I will measure them across anyway. Probably the same as my golf cart! LOL. Now I will slink away for forgetting to check my manual first for the specs. My bad!

13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

(I paid someone to do the axle flip. Trailer shops don't care if it's a popup if they don't have to open it. It was cheap, but the guy wanted me to provide the kit which was also cheap. We can go up driveways now!)

14. Equipa

Equipa New Member

I had a 1993 Coleman with the small tires and towed that thing everywhere. Thousands of miles never a problem. Regular wheel bearing maintenance was all.

They wouldn't have put that size tire on of it could not handle it.

Now the new pop up has pizza cutter tires that sink in the lawn and make it impossible to move without hooking it up.

Canvas Cur likes this.
  15. Jonico

Jonico New Member

Morning, I recently bought the 1995 version of the exact same camper. It had 4.80-8 tires on a 5 lug wheel. It struck me as riding much too low, and I couldn't lower the three stabilizer jacks. So I knew something was wrong. It turned out it was definitely the tires. As you mentioned the specs indicate it came with 5.70x8 tires. Check out my photo to see the difference. I'm not sure what the 4.80-8 and the 5.70-8 mean, but they are 15.5 inches and 18 inches in diameter respectively. I bought these and put them on (looks like they are out of stock now, but you get the idea). It made all the difference in the world. Your wheel wells have plenty of room for the bigger ones... since they were factory.

I also found out why the small ones were on there. I had to go back to the seller to get the registration signed and asked about the tires. They said they had a blow out and took the camper to Wallmart for the replacement. Not sure why they didn't notice it riding so much lower and the fact that suddenly the jacks wouldn't go down...

Attached Files:

Canvas Cur likes this.
  16. Equipa

Equipa New Member

Look up a revolution per mile chart for tires before making changes. May not be worth it for 100 revs per mile.

Canvas Cur likes this.
  17. wcvworg

wcvworg New Member

The reality is they put on the cheapest size they could while remaining functional. There are still benefits to flipping the axle and upgrading the tires. You're not going to hurt anything by using tires that are over spec'ed so long as you don't suddenly start loading on the weight and overload the axles just because the wheels can take it.

Canvas Cur, Jason0405 and theseus like this.
  18. Equipa

Equipa New Member

Do you really believe 200 revolutions per mile on a wheel bearing will extend it's life?

If so why not avoid all maintenance and install 54 inch tires.

19. wcvworg

wcvworg New Member

You're focused on bearings. I'm thinking about ground clearance. We're all free to do our own thing.

54" tires would necessitate a ladder, and my wife wouldn't appreciate that.

20. PictishWolf

PictishWolf New Member

I decided against "flipping" the axle because it would necessitate too many other changes that add up to a big deal, IMHO. I'd need to put blocks under all of the stabilizer legs and front jack, different hitch height, new step for entry. Plus cost of three new 12" radial tires with new wheels and taller bottle jack for tire changes. It's all doable, for sure. I just feel like my camper isn't worth doing all of that for. Maybe on our next one? YMMV, o'course. [:D]

Canvas Cur likes this.