Will Larger Tires/Wheels Fit?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Canvas Cur, Sep 15, 2021.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Sorry wrong thread.

2. FLNewt

FLNewt New Member

I found what have been a great tire/wheel combo for my '94 Starflyer - ST145/R12 radial tires. The ones I ordered were Kenda mounted on steel wheels off amazon for about $75 per unit a year and a half ago. The prices have gone up by now but I strongly recommend them.

A little larger without rubbing and more importantly RADIAL and not bias ply. I've taken them to NC from FL, as well as some short runs in state, and have been nothing but pleased.

Canvas Cur likes this.
  3. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

What did your camper originally come with? Mine came with the 5.70 X 8's. A couple of years ago, I was looking at the old tires and rusty rims and found (I think at etrailer) a pair of them mounted and ready to install. I must have forgotten what size they were, maybe because I recently got a killer deal from a neighbor on a set of 4 wheels/tires for my golf cart and was thinking..."surely my camper does not have these mini-tires on it". So...a senior moment (please forgive me LOL) had me thinking they were the 10" size. I do like the wide stance and since I store it at a friends house in the sandy lot behind him, I could not go out and check. I will weigh all these thoughts out, and look at the costs, the work, the pro's and the cons, and likely will leave it as is. Thanks so much for all your input. Again, this site is like a splash of cool water on a tired soul. Very refreshing to have such a wealth of experience available.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Jonico likes this.
  4. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

That looks like the "spare" I had on mine when I bought it. After getting a set of the 5.70 X 8's (please see my post above) I put the best one of the two (least rusty) on as my spare. Huge difference in size. Can't imagine those tiny tires whizzing down the road at 60 MPH!!

5. Jonico

Jonico New Member

Hey Canvas Cur, I just noticed that you pull your Cedar with a Prius. I was shocked, and looked up the towing weight and then was shocked again that it is 2,000 lbs. Spectacular!

Canvas Cur likes this.
  6. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

I too am pleased that our car does so well, and still returns decent (35-40) MPG while towing. But, we are in mostly flat Florida, the Cedar weighs in at just about 1000 pounds, and I try to keep it at 60 mph max. I have lightened the camper where I could such as removing cabinet doors and ditching all the gas equipment, and we took out the factory table and put in a lighter one. The Cedar is very low and not too wide, so that helps. I do get some looks as folks realize what our TV is, but not as much as when we pulled a similar PUP with our Kia Soul!