Will my battery complete the electric lift alone?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by LisaMarie, Jul 21, 2015.

1. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Member

Not sure if this is the right place for this....but giving it a shot. About to head out on our maiden voyage with our new pop up, but heading to our favorite campground which has no hook-ups. My biggest concern is we have an electric lift on the pop up (and it has an AC unit) - can the battery alone raise this beast up? Or should I hand crank? If I use the battery will there be anything left? It's a brand new deep cycle 24DC battery. Just purchased 2 days ago. Right now I'm in panic mode that I'll get to the campground and it gets halfway up, dies, then we have to crank AND have no battery - tonight's nightmare!
    Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

2. rsdata

rsdata Member

why not try it out in the driveway before leaving? YOu can always recharge before you leave. Or just use the handcrank and don't worry about using the battery.

Unless you have a real problem with the hoist system, the battery should handle it.

3. gruss

gruss Active Member

I've put ours up and down multiple times on the battery alone, don't worry about it. Of course make sure it's charged up before you leave.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Did you say 24 V battery? Not two connected in parallel? If you have 24 volts going to the motor, you will burn the motor up and anything else that is 12V.

5. gruss

gruss Active Member

I would assume it's a group 24, unless they spent way to much money on a UPS battery.

6. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Leave your camper plugged into your running tow vehicle while you raise your roof...assuming you have a charge line from the tow vehicle to the camper battery by way of the #4 pin on the 7 pin round bargman.

7. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Keep everything serviced and your battery will lift your roof many times on a charge.

8. davido

davido Active Member

If your roof winch consumed 15A, you would have to run it for about 2.5 hours solid before your battery falls to half charge. Maybe it consumes twice that. But still you're running it one minute up, and one down. If it consumes 30A, and you run it a total of 2 minutes, you've drawn 1AH out of your 85AH battery.

9. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Member

Thanks for all the responses! Yes I meant Group 24, not 24 DC. By DC I just meant we went with the deep cycle as recommended.
    We do also have a 7 pin connector on our vehicle so that should be charging correct?
    Really "stupid" question, but how to you charge up your battery while not connected to the vehicle? or will it charge as we are towing?
    Thanks

10. gruss

gruss Active Member

Does your converter have a charger built in? If so plug in the camper and it will charge it, if not hook up a battery charger to it the day before leaving.

11. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Member

Ummmmmm.....no clue about the converter or built in charger. Still learning about this thing. How can I tell if there is a built in charger? Manual?

12. gruss

gruss Active Member

Does it have a switch that says "batt" and "conv" on it? if so then it doesn't. If not it probably does, but yes the manual would tell you or google the model number on the front because what I said is just a generalization.

13. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

When connected to shore power your converter(I have the same camper) will provide a charge to the battery. If your tow vehicle and 7 pin is set up properly, your tow vehicle will provide a charge to the battery when connected and therefore unless the tow vehicle is running do not leave the camper plugged into the tow vehicle for long periods of time especially if you are operating your refrigerator on 12V. You should always start off with a battery that has at least an 85% charge....fully charged is obviously better.

As to my comment of the same camper...mine does not have an electric lift. Only recently did I find out some Coleman's have this. Thankfully mine does not.

14. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Operating the lift takes very, very little battery.

I would suggest buying a battery charger to make sure you are starting with a fully charged battery.

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Coleman/Fleetwood pups of recent vintage have a 40 amp breaker on the battery for the roof lift.
    It uses a lot more power than those of you with winch systems.
    I had a group 31 deep cycle on my 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Avalon and it drew down seriously on the battery.
    That was a 16ft box/roof with AC and bike racks.
    Your box/roof is smaller however I would suggest a bigger battery or doubles especially if you do dry camping.

16. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Your battery must have been near death because even if it pulled the full 40 amps it shouldn't draw the capacity down much.

17. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

I cannot have the converter hooked up when I operate the winch. It tries to pull power from the converter and pops the fuse every time.

Having said that I have never tried raising it with the tv hooked up.