Will state parks close?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Mar 11, 2020.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

With all the schools out, I'll bet the movie theaters will be packed during the day...Mom and dad will only be able to take a few days of quarantine with the kids at home....lol

2. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

I leave tomorrow to camp 4 nights at McKinney State Park in Austin, TX. I received an email from them that started out:
    Texas State Parks are open, and our staff is ready to welcome you for the day or for overnight stays. Outdoor spaces are well suited to increased social distance, but we still must remain diligent in taking steps to make your visit as safe and enjoyable as possible.

Here's the whole message.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

With all the precautions we are supposed to take it's strange to me that nowhere did anyone say "Don't touch money"

4. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

[LOL] So true! Mason and his cousin both had their soccer practice/games postponed, but they practice in the yard when they can. Local schools are going to "online learning" next week, so it's going to be interesting. I might take a couple hours off work to see if Mason is interested in learning a programming language. He likes control, so maybe he'll come to understand what "control" really means. :D

Looks like the local county park is still open for (dry) camping, but jeez the rain rain rain rain rain. If we had a ghost of a chance at a half-dry weekend, I'd be there right now.

5. davekro

davekro Active Member

Yes, please hold political opinions for political forums. No need to ruin this site by bashing whomever you believe are wrong, stupid or whatever. It would be sad if negative hateful posts infected this respectful forum.

Natureangel and FARfetched like this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

We are way past that and back on track now..
    Just a minor bump in the road

Dan Wilson and davekro like this.
  7. firepit

Thats good news for sure

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

Fire pit, thanks for avoiding political commentary, appreciated. I personally do not believe campgrounds with spread out sites and facilities would be closed in any over arching way. Lime smj99 said, sure Yosemite and high density parks would be a different story due to the crowds. But, that is just my guess. I have no direct knowledge.

firepit likes this.
  9. davekro

davekro Active Member

TMI, Dude. ;)

10. firepit

Man i hope not...camping is one of my passions and last yr flooding closed my favorite campround for about 3 months

11. davekro

davekro Active Member

At our small spiritual community board meeting today, we decided to follow state recommendations to not hold in person gatherings unless a 6’ social distance could be maintained. We are erring on the side of caution because our +/- 45 people on a Sunday has a significant amount of 70’s and 80’s folks. So for the next two weeks for sure, we’ll be closing our Center to regular group gatherings and Sunday services (posting talks on YouTube and Facebook. BTW, our board meeting was held online via Zoom.
    Here in nearby Silicon Valley, Google, Cisco, Micron and other techs are requiring most all to work from home. THEY are definitely taking this seriously.

FARfetched likes this.
  12. davekro

davekro Active Member

THANK YOU for mentioning this. It had not occurred to me! Being the treasurer of our spiritual community, and the counter of the weekly collections, I will be sure to use lots of anti bacterial lotion during counting and washing hands. THANKS|
    Being behind, I’m verifying and making a deposit tomorrow... timely advice!

13. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Our pastor is putting his sermon online-only this Sunday… and maybe next. I think I already mentioned the local schools are going to "online learning" next week (at a minimum). Of course, the forecast has Sector 706 becoming a sub-tropical rainforest, so it's not like we're getting a break or anything.

14. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

As a Christian pastor myself United Methodist), I'm still holding worship but without a congregation present. We'll record the modern worship service with the band and my sermon, then we have a radio slot here in my town at 11:00. I suppose there might be a few more people listening this week and next. Small groups will still meet with more space between folks.

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

TN state parks just emailed me yesterday as I have a trip planned for next week. They say they are open for business, and are doing extra preventative cleaning.

bheff likes this.
  16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Things have been rapidly changing here in NM. Our UNM church is closed for the next week, we have lots of older folk (there's a retirement facility on two sides of us) as well as a preschool. Online service tomorrow, we'll see how that goes. With all the schools closed, Courtenay's work place is allowing/suggesting working from home for many. For now, he's planning on going into work Monday, since he can get more done on his computers there, and figures there will be less than 50% of the folks that work in his building there.
    Saturday is our usual grocery run, it will be interesting to see what we can find. We're actually in good shape since we batch cook, freeze a lot, and tend to have a well stocked storeroom, but it could get boring. However, fresh milk, fruit, and veg are on the list for today.
    I canceled my trip to AZ for a Sisters on the Fly event. Not so worried about the event as two days of travel there and back, at 4 different private campgrounds. Our state seems to be asking anyone who has traveled out of state, not just by plane, to self-isolate for 14 days. I'd also hate to get stuck in a new quarantine on the road or in Tucson (I was supposed to visit friends there for a few days too). Much as I love going out in the TT, I'd rather stay at home with my husband, cats, and quilt projects for the time being.

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have camping reservations (Hickory Run State Park, PA) for our scout troop at the end of April. I think the one thing the state parks have to keep up on is cleaning the bathrooms at the campgrounds. I'm really looking forward to the trip as it is CAMPING!!!! Now, our local schools are closed here in town till the end of March and I'm pretty sure the kids will be driving their parents crazy to say the least. I'm also sure the kids will be ready to get back to some sort of routine to see their friends again.

tcbrady, Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  18. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Here in NY schools are only closing if they have a positive case of Covid-19. The governor is also considering waving the 180 days of school requirement. Right now most events have been cancelled (sports, musicals, winter guard etc.) Colleges in the state have gone to online learning for the foreseeable future. Rumor has it Spectrum is offering free high speed wifi to homes with students. Since it's not camping season yet here in NY I'm not sure what our parks are going to do. Hopefully we will be past the worst of it once camping season starts. Stay healthy everybody and remember to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds!! BTW if your tired of humming Happy Birthday while you wash your hands here are a few other suggestions:
    Prince-Raspberry Beret
    Beyoncé- Love on Top
    Dolly Parton-Jolene
    Toto- Africa
    Culture Club-Karma Chameleon
    The Temptations-My girl

silvermickey2002 and Rik Peery like this.
  19. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

Just here for the Comments [:D]

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. giffweav61

giffweav61 New Member

I know Texas Parks are still open. NM appears to be suspending overnight camping though.
    upload_2020-3-14_18-6-8.png
    that’s usually our go to state during the summer so hoping things settle back down for the summer.