Will the high price of gas effect your camping plans?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by NJGuy, Mar 21, 2011.

1. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

We will not be traveling as far because my wife got laid off, how everwe will probably camp more as we will have more time available during the summer. She used to work a lot of weekends.

2. bpolwort

bpolwort Member

Will camp just as much as we always do. Only we will be eating burgers instead of steaks. You can always find corners to cut so the trip itself doesn't have to be cut as well.

3. IV Nurse

IV Nurse New Member

We will still camp, but plans are to camp closer to home. I generally bring food from home so that won't change.

4. takeAhike

takeAhike New Member

We are wrestling with this one. It won't slow us down camping in state, but we've had plans for a July Indiana-to-Florida trip, probably end up driving close to 2000 miles, so we are watching gas prices very closely.

5. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Got two trips on is coming up in April going to use grandma mini van it gets 24 mpg and may use it in june after that it well be close to home maybe.

6. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

So far, it looks like gas prices won't affect my (ambitious) camping plans too much. I've got two "big" trips planned... one to the Colorado Rally (a four-plus hour drive---will NOT miss this one!) and a trip to the Green River, near Pinedale, Wyoming, for a drift-boat (fly-fishing) trip with Jack Hunter (won the trip in a fabulous drawing! WON'T miss this one, either! That's an 8-hour drive.)

All the other camping trips are either to South Park, CO (to fish the Dream Stream part of the South Platte River, about a 45 minute drive), and to O Haver Lake (where I had the horrible experience last year... beautiful place, and *that* just can't happen again! That's less than two hours...) and to Taylor Park, 118 miles from here... will go there three to four times, at least, 'cause it's just so dang'd lovely! On two trips, I have friends that also want to go, so they can help with the gas expense.

I've been invited to Coate, NM the third week of April to "move fish" on a very large ranch by a fly-fishing guide friend of mine... work one day, fish the entire ranch for three days! Would LOVE to go... seems it's a six-hour drive from here, and maybe less. Will probably do this trip, too... two tanks of gas... not too bad. I have personal reasons for going on this trip, too... but won't go into those details. *smile*

Gas prices are a concern, though... but having no children, a reasonable mortgage, few other bills, and a three-day work week (great job)... well, I don't plan on gas prices affecting me too much. Just have to limit my 'big' trips, that's all.

7. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

Our camping paradise is 20 miles away. We are very lucky!

[CP]

8. ocb_dave_ocb

ocb_dave_ocb New Member

I don't care if gas is $10 per gallon I will still camp. We may have to camp in our back yard but good lord willing I will still camp.

Our TV doesn't get driven to work or anything like that I have a Kia rio that gets about 35 mpg for work. We drive the camaro for pleasure only. It's also a plus that the wife and I work at the same health care facility so we ride together and that saves a ton.

9. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

Sat down yesterday and planned out most of the summer trip. Am figuring at $5.00 a gallon and 20 mpg for my minivan for a 3500 mile trip. I'll get a bit better than that (one of the few advantages of still being in a tent and not pulling a trailer) and the price of gas will probably be lower, but best to plan for a bit extra. Besides, the last part of the trip is through CA, so $5.00 a gallon is not unreasonable to expect there. So I'll be working my tail off for the eight weeks remaining in the school season to put as much away as I can before summer vacation.

10. Gillster

Gillster New Member

Won't affect our plans much. In fact on our way back to San Antonio from near Dallas where we were camping for spring break, the DW was reading the Texas State Park guide and picking parks near Houston and Abilene and of course our yearly trip to Balmorhea SP out west during the summer.

11. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

We will eat out less saves $40-70 at 2x a month and that goes in our camp fund instead use the grill at home I make better steak, chicken ect than a restaurant anyway plus the drinks are free [:D], canceled my sirrius as I can use my iphone for music in the TV for free with Pandora and a few other free apps another $25 saved that is gas $$ for the boat. I think camping is still a cheap alternative even with gas prices to still vacation, even at $30 a night for full hook up and you can do so much more.

We are going to Panama City Beach for $260.00 for the week; about a grand less than what I paid for the condo last year and have the same beach (St Andrews SP) so to me gas prices will not affect my plans you just have to adjust and take an assessment of what is most important.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Probably not, at least with the trips planned so far. We tend to cook most meals while we're camping, not just for $$, but because it is better for us in many ways. Because we reserved sites, camping fees are already paid for the trips we have planned. We will probably add a trip or 2 to CO, so DH can hike with his brother, but we'll save a bit on gas because we plan on camping near the trails, instead of driving all the way to the BIL's.

DH commutes a lot of the time on his bike, the 4Runner is my everyday vehicle. The Outback gets a bit better gas mileage, but the 4Runner is now more comfortable for me. [I'll drive the Outback when needed, keeps me used to driving a stick shift, but it needs a new clutch at the moment, so I'm trying to avoid driving it until it is fixed.]

13. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

gas prices wont deter our plans however we werent planning to go anywhere further than 3-4 hours. but will still hurt a bit at the pump.

prices around here in chicago are $3.60/gal already! [:(!]

14. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

We will, and always have, budget for our trips. I find it interesting that some people will pay $80 a gallon for Starbucks. How do they do it? They budget for it. We will camp. In the long run, camping will almost always be cheaper than staying at a Holiday Inn. Just my humble opinion :)

15. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Great responses. I will probably continue to camp within a 5 hour drive inspite of high gas prices. However, I may look for more reasonably priced CGs and limit activities that require a fee. At the very least, I can camp locally.

16. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

Buying gas is a way of life. I will not let it stop me from having fun. If I am willing to pay for gas to drive to work, then I am willing to pay for gas to go camping. Camping is a cheap vacation, doing anything else would cost way more. So spending a few extra bucks on gas is not that big of a deal. I do wish it was cheaper still.

17. jasf

jasf New Member

The price of gas will not deter us. We generally camp in SPs that are less than 50 miles. Our annual trip to Yogi Bear will still go on,but maybe without campground pizza n wings. The kids are growing up fast so I'm taking full advantage of the time we have for all of us to fully enjoy!

18. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

For me the price of gas is still irrevelant when it comes to camping. It's still the cheapest way to get some down time. If we were at Europe's level of $8-9/gallon, I'd have to consider it.

19. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Gas is $3.77 in PA sucking our bank accounts dry. I'm still paying on the 4.00 memories of 2008.

20. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Gas in Ontario is about $1.29 a litre, so that would be roughly $4.87 a US gallon(if we asume the Cdn dollar at par).

Well I think we will be camping the same number of days. Probably not going to PEI, or anywhere far. (Cape Code is closer to Toronto that PEI, still a bit of a hike)

The new van is bigger, but seems to get decent mileage, slightly better than the old one. Anxious to see how well it does towing. It actually calculates the mileage on the fly, and displays it in the driver information centre. On the highway I've gotten pretty close to the estimates, close to 26 MPG (US Gallons).

I think I'm ok for any trips of about 500 kms/300 miles or so.