Williamsburg in September

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by jeepcamper, May 15, 2019.

1. jeepcamper

jeepcamper New Member

Looking for recommendations in Williamsburg for the end of September?

2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

For camping, or sightseeing?

3. jeepcamper

jeepcamper New Member

camping

4. nkcrouch

nkcrouch Member

Hi!
    We just got back from Williamsburg yesterday--literally. We spent 11 nights just outside of of Williamsburg at Ed Allen's Cottages and Campground--about a 25 minute drive into Williamsburg. We had an electric and water site: D5/6. It was very pretty, we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. We picked this campground for the following reasons:
    1. Spaciousness (compared to the campgrounds closer to Williamsburg
    2. Fishing. The kids like to fish. Ed Allen's is on Lake Chickahominy and also had a catch and release pond. All I can say is that all 4 of my kids caught fish. Momma and Daddy didn't have to deal with jealously.
    3. Inexpensive compared to the ones closer in to Williamsburg.

Things to know:
    The folks at this campground are incredibly nice and accommodating.
    This is an older campground many of the amenities reflect that, but during our stay (which was a quiet time) everything was clean.
    I know that during certain times, there can be more of a party atmosphere. We were aware of this, and we scheduled accordingly. The one full weekend we were there, people were having a good time, but settled down at quiet hours. During the week was very quiet.
    There is a train track nearby. We like trains; so, it did not bother us. Amtrak uses this line, and that train flies. Make sure to always come to a full and complete stop at the crossing.
    This is a bit more of a relaxed campground and not quite as hotel-like as some.

I would also be happy to discuss the trip itinerary if you are interested.

5. jeepcamper

jeepcamper New Member

Thank you for all of the info. I think we are looking more towards Pigeon Forge/ Gaitlinburg Tenn. for the trip but this is great info for a future trip. I think we would do Williamsburg in the summer to hit Water Country. Any other info would be appreciated. Again thank you.

6. Zot

Zot New Member

Check out Greenbriar Campground (865-430-7415) near Gatlinburg...very nice for sure.

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We stayed at Jellystone at Gloucester Point in mid April (off season) once. During out stay it was quiet and the bath house laundry area was clean. I imagine the summer months, with the water park open, it gets busy. It is bay front with private fishing dock, no license required.