Williamsburg Pottery Campground in Lightfoot, VA

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by WannaTravel, Aug 20, 2013.

1. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

Has anyone ever camped here?

2. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

nope..but have heard the Pottery isn't so good anymore.

3. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

You heard right, jmcclung11. The pottery is nothing like it use to be. We had a family member camp there before. They said they wouldn't camp there again.

Campit

4. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

I drove through here...it looked like at one time it was a very big deal. Does anyone have any memories/information on how it used to be?

5. renata manzo

renata manzo New Member

When I was in college in Williamsburg (79-82) the Pottery was awesome. It was a ramshackle collection of buildings that sold just about everything. We used to go there to buy stuff for our dorm rooms (posters and such) and also Christmas presents. It started as a place to sell pottery seconds and grew from there.

6. deco-one

deco-one New Member

It was probably at it's peak in the 70's. I have many fond memories of family shopping trips around the holidays. The place was sprawling with dozens of old, ramshackle buildings - pottery, christmas stuff, outdoor cement decorations, plants, gourmet & wine shop, dishes, pots & pans - just anything you can imagine. You could spend days there & some people did. The campground was nice too - clean and constant clientele.

Not worth going to now. The original owners passed on as always happens and the place was in severe decline from the late 80's on. Now it's a brand new strip mall along the highway with just nothing unique or interesting to offer. Owned by foreigners with no clue what it's attraction even was. The campground I'm assuming is long closed as that whole area is grown up in weeds & looks abandoned.

7. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

I have stayed there a few times and was treated well by the staff. Apparently there are some new owners involved for a few years and they do not want to spend any $$$$$ to do any upkeep or mantinence on the grounds. I called at the first of the year to make a reservation and was told they didnt know if they were going to open it this year or not, the board had not decided at that time.

THe people that worked there did their best to make your stay pleasent, but dont expect a lot from the owners.

8. edh

edh Active Member

In the 70's the Pottery was great--acres of about anything you could imagine, kind of like a warehouse store before there were any. You could literally spend a day there and still miss something. And everything was as cheap or cheaper than you could get it anywhere else. Went there last in 1990, would not go again, as everyone has said the original Pottery, and all that made it worthwhile, is but a dream now.