Winch Access 1994 Dutchmen

4campers+g-kids

Jan 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi everyone,

The cable finally gave it up this weekend after 22+ years. All set up and start to crank the roof and POP! Replacement looks easy thanks to a few nice people here with pictures and good descriptions.

My issue is HOW to access the winch. Ours is kind of built into a box between the back wall and the rear skin. Only a hole on the bottom where the cable comes out, and a steel plate welded right under that. There are 3 nuts under the winch, which I assume hold it in place. But even if it comes loose I doubt it will fit through the port door. Even if it does will the cable be long enough to connect with the winch out? Anyone have any experience or advice? TIA- Tim

Here's the door. Removing it would give me a bit more room.

port-opening_zps3xu2wwdr.jpg

Inside the compartment.

winch-inside1_zpsbwniw26b.jpg

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
You'll need to pull the bottom out of the storage bench above the winch and come at it from the top down.

4campers+g-kids

Jan 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Dubbya said:
You'll need to pull the bottom out of the storage bench above the winch and come at it from the top down.

The winch sits behind the back inner wall, no storage bench above it. With the roof down couldn't do that anyway.

Basically the winch sits between the back inner wall and back outer wall.

4campers+g-kids

Jan 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
What you see is the only access to the winch w/o tearing walls apart. Goshen states the cables need to be replaced with the roof down, so not sure how I'd get to the back wall to open it up anyway. My guess is the lift system was installed before they built the interior. On the bottom there is a steel plate welded to the frame near where the cable comes out, almost directly under the winch. No access from above at all.

Poking around in there (and getting jabbed by the shredded cable) it feels like there is a couple of rows left on the spool. The cable broke inside the housing, so I'm hoping the winch will remove through the door, probably with the door panel removed, and have enough slack in the cable to attach it out of the housing then wind it up after re-mounting.

4campers+g-kids

Jan 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: Winch Access 1994 Dutchmen -SOLVED!

An experienced person on Facebook group Pop Up Campers has the answer.

There is an access panel inside the rear storage hatch, which is on the door side. I went and looked since the pup was still sitting in the driveway. Sure enough, it's the panel I can reach through the port door and touch. YAY!

Now to wait on the cable from Goshen.

ekoch

Apr 28, 2017
Hi,
I have a 1994, model 1202. Same problem - cable snapped last weekend right on the winch. My winch is in front on the RIGHT side of the tongue as you look at the camper from the front - same portal door on the exterior as you showed. Do I keep roof down while working on connecting the new cable? Do I have to crawl inside the camper to get to the winch?