wind blocking ideas

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by hotrodcamper, Aug 28, 2015.

1. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Last weekend we were in the UP of Michigan. While we were there the winds were somewhere between 30 and 40 mph. They were so strong, the wind kept blowing the flame out on my Camp Chef Pro 90 stove. While we didn't have to worry bout the misquitoes or biting flies, it was really annoying to have to babysit the stove to keep the flame lit. With everyone's ingenuity on this site, someone must have an idea.

2. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Hi Mike! Don't know if you remember my set up.....
    We usually deploy our awning and I have a clear sheet of plastic which we
    clamp along the side of the awning as a wind block and rain shelter. We still get light
    but don't get rained on or too much wind.

Hope this helps!

3. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Thanks Lisa. I remember your setup. While we were in the Porcupine Mountains last week, the winds and thunderstorms were so bad we put awning back up. Just wasn't any way to get out of wind. Actually thought about making something that was collapsible, but with 40 mph winds, not sure if anything would've stayed upright; even with staking it down. Winds blew so hard one night, thought camper was going to flip over!

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Honestly, that would be a situation where I would cook inside as long as it wasn't meat.

If you're dealing with wind that strong, unless you build a seriously reinforced shelter, I don't see how you are going to be successful with an open flame. Maybe time to look at electric skillets or griddles as a backup.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I will be following this thread. I had the same issue last weekend. Had to babysit my camp stove as even with the wind protector the wind would still blow out my flame. I noticed a fellow camping neighbor had this huge wooden setup/chuck box . The stove sat on one side that had wooden sides on 90% of the camp stove. It even had a wind protector that wrapped around the front. Just didn't want something so big. I'm thinking the solution would need to be on or near the Stove itself, but will need to be quick and easy to fold.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Thule windscreens give me an idea...

https://youtu.be/9oz3ZHndIgo

If you don't wanna spend a ton of cash on one, you could make your own using something like 1/8" Phifertek mesh, a couple of 1" PVC pipes, some D rings and some Velcro.

Or fab up some kind of sunscreen like this (12'x6' @ $42 US + shipping):
    http://www.rvshadeshack.com/products/privacysunscreen

Or an end blocker like this (9'x7'x6' @ $55 US + shipping)
    http://www.rvshadeshack.com/collections/featured/products/endblocker

Another product I've always liked (conceptually) is the Wallup. Evidently, they're selling them at Camping World and Walmart. The thing with this is that some CG's don't allow any sort of "privacy walls".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A16UsVCSfvY

7. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

We have a wind/sun shelter for day picnics. Instant setup. 4 stakes to the ground. You may allow some wind to go through by opening panels. Not sure if it will work for your strong wind situation. Can you see my Coleman stove with an aluminum flashing in the front as a wind shield? I use that in light wind all the time.

[​IMG]

Visit here
    http://www.lightspeedoutdoors.com/

8. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

You can attach a heavier duty tarp to the wind side of the awning & cut a number of U-shaped flaps into the tarp to relieve the stress of the wind on the tarp.
    This will reduce the wind in the area under your awning & allow you to control it away from your stove.
    One caveat to this being there is still a limit to how much wind even this design will handle. 40MPH might be pushing it...

Looking at the stove online, you also might be able to extend the existing wind guards with some sheet metal?

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I have a WallUp and I think it's going to work great!

I also have two types of walls for my EZ-UP. The thinner tan ones, and the thicker white ones. If you stake it down very good, and leave a little room for some air to pass thru (as in, only attach half the velcro strips), that might work for you!

I'm with you though on the awning...that kind of wind, even with a tie down, makes me cringe with this electric awning.

Good luck!

[:D]

10. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I like the wall up idea. Have never seen them before. Since we were camping in bear country, I had the camp stove away from camper. Unfortunately the campground wasn't as wooded as I had hoped, although it was still better than the primitive campgrounds that were in the park. I had tried moving the camp stove to the down wind side of camper; but the winds seemed to be swirling. Just didn't seem to be a good place to cook. I've never had such a problem keeping the burners lit before. I tried using the factory windscreen with very limited success. After we get done moving I'll look into the wall up. Not sure it would hold up in those winds, but seems to be versatile in the different ways it can be used. I'll look into them hopefully soon.

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I'll just add, although they're not rated for steady wind that strong, you can set it up in a 'triangle' sort of shape or a horseshoe shape and should gain a significant advantage against the wind. Shoot, put one side against the camper, make the 3 sided shape, and put a guy line or two on the wallup!

I'll be trying mine out in October! [A]

12. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Just googled wallup. Apparently they're only rated to block a 15 mph wind. There doesn't appear any way to run a guy wire to the posts to keep them from blowing over. Too bad, because I really do like the setup.

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

My solutions would consist of either cooking inside, or heading to a restaurant under those conditions.

I guess if I was REALLY desperate, I could cook in the back of the truck bed... it has a cap on it.

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Those wind ratings are for it standing alone in the wind. That's why I suggested putting one section against the camper for more stability. As far as guy wires, the material has to have a grommet for the pole to stick into at the top. I haven't even opened my box yet, but I'm thinking there must be a way to use that hole for a guy line. Well, I'm hoping anyway! [LOL] [LOL]

15. swordfish

@Dubbya Good find

Do you know how this is attached to the pup awning?
    [​IMG]

Instructions says,
    [​IMG]

I am clueless.

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I've seen those for sale, but only attached to RVs. I guess this is the time where the difference between RV and Tent Camper comes in.

BUT, I'm sure someone on here could figure out how to rig one up!! Check out the folks who watch the Mods sections!!

Good luck!

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Well, if you have a standard pole awning, you won't have a front rail for the panel to slide into so this might not work for you.

I have a Carefree of Colorado Campout awning with a front awning rail, so it's got the track for a front panel for an add-a-room.

[​IMG]

Something else you might consider would be a Dometic Cabana awning. They're definitely not cheap, particularly if you want a bag awning, but I've had one on my wish list for a couple of years now and for the same reasons you're currently dealing with. We camp at a few CG's that are right on the lake and wind is a huge problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the thread where I found the Cabana pics:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=67811.msg649277#msg649277

For more info, search "Dometic Cabana" here at the portal or on Google.

18. swordfish

There is vinyl edge overhang on my awning where I may be able to attach the shade with several tarp clamps. My intention is to block eastern or western sun at a site that has no trees to do the job. Like it!

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Been following this thread from a distance and have a few things to add..

1) Most electric awnings have an auto retract on them if the wind gets to a certain point the up/down motion of the awning will trigger and retract, so hanging stuff on the awning on powered awnings may not be the best idea.

2) You seriously run the risk of awning damage by keeping it out once the wind hit 20 mph.. Trust me.. lost the awning on our TT and the wind was constant 15 kph and gusting to 25 kph.. That's about 9 mph to 15 mph.. Wind was parallel to the trailer at the time, awning was staked down. The 5'er beside us had put away their awning about an hour before due to the wind, I heard the husband telling the wife to remove the tacky lights so that if the wind got too bad the electric awning would auto retract. The pup six sites over, well they still had canvas on the trailer, but the awning, add-a-room and awning C-channel were torn, ripped and damaged..

My point is.. if it is getting windy to the point you feel the need to attach something to your awning to block the wind, maybe you should be putting the awning away instead..

20. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Agreed.

That's why I said earlier that you need to look at building something that is substantial. Plywood with hinges or something.