Wind? How much can it handle?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by nutterbug, Nov 10, 2014.

1. nutterbug

nutterbug New Member

First trip new to me camper. 08 fleetwood E3. Predicted 30 mph winds tonight, it's already swaying now in 17mph gusts?

Should I put it down and sleep in the truck?

2. goody59

goody59 Member

They rattle a little and canvas moves but it will be fine. I have installed 4 solid eye bolts in my roof section sides just above the roof latch catch brackets. I use 4 clip on spring loaded heavy duty guy ropes peged out with very solid tent pegs when I set up for a stay and high winds are a possibility just for peace of mind. It stabalises the PUP in winds up to 100 KPH or 60 MPH in my experiences.

3. gruss

gruss Active Member

You should be fine unless there is an underlying problem with the pup.

Our old '77 was setup in the backyard once when a tornado touched down a few miles away, it was still standing after those storms...not sure what the winds were but quite a few folks got new roofs after that one.

Weathered some pretty bad storms in that thing after that as well.

If it's not to cold out and you can open a couple flaps to let the wind blow through it, that will help. It'll creak and moan, but I wouldn't be worried about 30mph gusts.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

How is it swaying? Roof, canvas, or the whole thing?
    Do you have it well chocked and stabilized? Even with stabs, if the chocks aren't well secured under the wheels, things can feel a bit more unsteady than one might expect.
    We've had both pups out in winds into the 40-50 mph gust range, though not commonly and not my idea of a perfect trip. Some people suggest orienting the pup so the wind hits on the front or back, but that isn't realistic, either in terms of moving the pup once it is up and the fact that many of the winds we encounter can change direction.
    The tenting, zipper pulls, etc. rattle and shake but, so far, we've been OK in wind. However, we did have an issue with the lift system needing an adjustment after several very windy trips this year (and don't get me started on the competence of the dealer we took it to for that adjustment). On our first trip this year, it began to snow horizontally, it actually blew snow up under the roof edge and into a small gap, into the pup. On the second trip, we had winds such that it was touch and go if I could get the tenting and PUGs all secured.

If you are really uncomfortable about having up in those winds, you could take it down. But, would you be able to take it down without chancing damage from that procedure? Ultimately it is your call, and you know what type of winds you are encountering.

5. nutterbug

nutterbug New Member

I think after reading the comments, I'll be fine. Prob do need to chock the wheels better. The roof is moving, not real bad, I've just never had a pop up?

6. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

7. macamoose

macamoose New Member

I have done the same, moved my truck around to the windward side and removed or stowed the awning and screen porch. I was pretty nervous first night out in that kind of wind. Now I just turn the radio up an extra notch.

8. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

I had one experience one time here in Eleven Miles state park in Colorado that I don't want to have again. I don know how many miles was but the pup shake extremely crazy, the Awning inside his bag was jumping like a 2 pounds ball and that thing is heavy. The only that gave us a littlebit of peace was put my Ram 1500 Crewcab trying to block the wind and tight a recovery rope from the pup to the truck. My wife don't want to go to that park again, was our worst camping trip ever. The fabrics are very strong and nothing happens to it but I'm pretty sure that some of those winds can move the pup upside down pretty easy. I'm thinking to install the eye bolts in the roof and try to find some heavy duty stakes like those that people use to tight big events tarps. Is very hard to sleep in that conditions with the shaking and everything moving and sound, helps drink, trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

Most awnings won't handle much wind at all. Take it down in high winds.

Mine doesn't seem to like anything past 10-15mph.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Surprisingly these campers are able to handle some pretty good wind storms although it does get pretty darn scary. Only once we made the decision to shut everything down. When we camped on the beach during a tropical storm. We ended up sleeping in the van. We had no way of blocking the wind. There were hardly any trees to buffer the wind and the storm was only getting stronger. Now that trip was scary, but exciting as long as we were safe in the van.