Wind?? What is too much?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Sarah Roth, Apr 29, 2021.

1. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

+1 for putting the awning down LONG before you worry about max wind for the pop up itself.

Hilldweller likes this.
  2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We tied the box down, not the roof.

3. Jeff94Coleman

Jeff94Coleman New Member

We camped beach-side in October on the Atlantic in MD and weathered an amazingly strong storm. We'd put up the PUP parallel with the beach, so took nearly constant side-to-side buffeting. But, as others have said, we didn't put the awning up, and in the middle of the night, I backed our truck up next to our camper to try to deflect some wind. You won't sleep, so you could always get to your site and park the trailer, and don't put it up, grab a quick night in a hotel, and come back in the morning and start afresh. Not worth twisting and bending your PUP. It'll likely withstand it, but, is it worth it, if you literally aren't going to sleep anyway? Get it in place that night, and come back bright and early and get on with what sounds like a splendid rest of your weekend. Cheers!

roger brown likes this.
  4. Cherito87

Cherito87 New Member

We camped at Crescent Bar, WA last July with crazy Columbia Gorge winds at night. Got ZERO sleep with all of the rocking and shaking. I thought we were going to flip over but we didn’t. Word of advice: if you have a typical bag awning flip it up onto the roof before you raise it. It will keep it from banging the side all night.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. CharliePDX

CharliePDX New Member

It seems every time I camp in Death Valley, I get at least one night of big wind. The wind runs north/south following the valley, and up north at Mesquite it can be pretty strong. I’d think sustained over 40 mph as a guess. I don’t think it would tip over a popup - although I could be wrong; my concern is that it would either bend the lifting arms or tear the canvas out. But my Santa Fe has lost its ends and is just a square box, so the dynamics are different. I staked it down in November, mostly to eyes screwed into the roof latches. I used rope mixed with bungee cords so it would have a little give, tied to 20 penny spikes. B65BE1D7-AA6E-4177-ABCE-EF1AD45ED141.jpeg Another noisy night with a lot of snapping and popping from the canvas until it blew out at 3am. A year before I opened the windows a little to take off some of the pressure. Bad idea, at least in Death Vally; I ended up with fine dust on everything the next morning. Good luck!

PointyCamper and J Starsky like this.
  6. afidmt

afidmt Member

Hi -- Lots of pretty good ideas here and well worth the thoughts -- We were out with the family in SE Colorado and had an unexpected Thunderstorm come through -- we were lucky -- came back to front --(not on the sides) we took our awning down -- and when the storm came through -- the winds wre probably 50MPH + -Rocked and rolled the PUP - DW was hugging the grandkids -- only snapped the aluminum tent support pole - No major water - so we still were dry inside - was easy to fix (Treated like a Broken Bone -- I'm an EMT and Eagle Scout!!!) got out a stick and some rope - when we got home a more permanent repir with some copper pipe - But that was it for the spouse -- she wanted to upgrade - so went to the Dark Side last year !!

7. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

We had a storm like that at Devil's Fork SP a number of years ago. Our friends (in the Coast Guard at the time) met us there; we both had Conqueror Compact trailers, RTT on top of a South African military trailer.
    You can see what happened to Kenny's EZ-Up starting at the 5:29 mark. Quite a few Conquerors in the slideshow.
    I had "the big top" over the trailer but the sideways rain got in like crazy.

Spartacus and Rik Peery like this.
  8. phxross

phxross New Member

Depends if you are out in the open or are "sheltered" within a lot of trees.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I considered just how much rope and how many tie outs I could muster on time on the North Shore of Duluth as well. That wind coming off the lake is nothing to joke about, but the old PUP held her own.

Many nights I'll remember that I left the PUP open, in my wooded yard, while a gust rolls along in the stormy dark outside. I've been leaving the PUP up for months on end over summer, now that it won't be doing mobile camping duties for our family - it serves as a nice play space outside and about the best kept snapping secret known to man... Feels like she'd rot away without being open for a stretch.

10. Sarah Roth

Sarah Roth New Member

I'm glad we went! My husband and ex-husband were trying to talk me out of going with my two sons, but I called the park ranger and she said the campsites are somewhat protected and my site wasn't on the lake side. Granted, it did wind up snowing and the real feel temp was 25 degrees, but that camper held up to the wind like a champ! I heard it plenty but didn't really feel it other than the occasional burst against the canvas at my head. I had a small heater and my younger son slept with me for body heat and my older son slept on the other bunk end with a heating pad to keep him warm. It was a cold night, but the rest of the weekend was perfect. So I'm glad I was already there and set up to enjoy the little bit of time we had. Glad we packed some warm pajamas! Michael and camper.jpg Gavin in camper.jpg

11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

60+ gusts here bout 15 minutes ago during a T storm, yard full of limbs/leaves/debris; gonna keep that teardrop just in case this occurs while in the woods lol...

Hilldweller likes this.
  12. bronsta

bronsta Member

The first pop-up I bought (an old, brown 1987 Coleman) was owned by an older couple (mid-60's). They told me that they hunkered down in it during hurricane Alberto in 1982 (Florida) -- winds exceeded75 MPH.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Flemtone

Flemtone New Member

Totally digging the Ralphie PJs! [Guitar]

14. Drufus

Drufus Member

I went through strong winds that freaked me out. It tied the roof of the camper to the roof rack of my 4runner to try to stabilize but eventually lowered the roof and slept in a hammock. Didn’t want to damage the pop up and slept well in the hammock. Wanapum cg.

15. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

My popup survived 50 mph winds last week.I opened the tops of the windows. No probles!

16. banjorules

banjorules Active Member

Been in 70 mph winds more than once with a popup and survived just fine. We played cards on the dinette.

17. Kristy Queen

Kristy Queen New Member

18. Kristy Queen

Kristy Queen New Member

We had 60+ mph wind gusts this past weekend. The camper overall was fine except for a rotten corner. It did pull the screws out of the sidewall where the canvas track attaches. However, this would not have happened, of course, if it wasn’t rotten.