Wind

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by mk4, Jun 2, 2020.

1. mk4

mk4 Member

What's the maximum wind that you think a pup can handle?

A few of the last trips that I took (not with the pup) winds were reported to be 100 mph the day before O arrived and on another trip, my springbar collapsed.

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I probably wouldn’t do it in sustained winds but I think they can probably safely handle 40-50 mph gusts. That said, it’s not gonna be pleasant. I would think 100 would cause some damage to ANY folding trailer and many hard sides unless they were faced into the wind.

Raycfe and kitphantom like this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We camped in a cat 1 hurricane once. (It was an accident. The 'cane turned left when it was supposed to turn right) Didn't get much sleep that night, but we stayed warm and dry. Didn't have the awning out. I'm sure we would have lost that.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When I went through a tropical storm once winds were upwards of 55 mph but it was reporting it was only going to get stronger we decided to lower the popup and sleep in the car. It was down right scary especially at night when you couldn’t see much. Now with that said if wind hits the popup broadside it Probably wouldn’t fair very well. Went through a bad thunderstorm once and litterly felt the popup rocking with the stabilizers lifting off the ground a little. I ended up moving my suv to pose as a buffer for the popup. It helped break the wind up enough where the camper didn’t rock any more. So yeah a camper can handle some good amount of wind surprisingly but there will be a breaking point and I think it depends on the wind, how it’s hitting the camper, but more likely what the breaking point is for the trees your camping under. Now the awning is a way different story. First sign of a storm it’s best to put that awning away that thing can be torn off too easily.

Raycfe and HappyTraveler like this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

100 mph.? Sorry but I’m doubting that.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yup , 100 mph would damage mostly everything, including houses. Most first responders dont even respond in say 60 mph winds.

7. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I sat through 55mph gusts and remained unscathed. My awning was rolled up.
    It was very, very frightening

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Couple weeks back someone posted a pick of their pup that was flipped upside down due to high winds at a sister's house.

9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

100 MPH winds and i am jumping ship...I can always go back a day later and call my insurance
    company

Raycfe likes this.
  10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

50 mph gusting winds in Wyoming destroyed the awning on our Fleetwood Santa Fe. This was only a few days into a 4 week trip but I managed to gather up the remains, stuff it all back into the bag, and made an insurance claim later when we got home. It was particularly aggravating because I had planned to remove the awning before the trip but my wife insisted we have it for the trip - arrgghhh! [V]

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We did gusts in the 50-60 mph range, but not fun. I'm not sure what the winds were when we took it to Chaco, but it was snowing at 45* angle or so and the winds were enough to push it up under the roof edge and into the gap around the roof lifters, so it was snowing into the popup.
    We were in our current small TT last Thanksgiving, when we had hideous winds at Catalina SP near Tucson. By morning the tents and popups were pretty well gone. I saw a couple of flattened tents, but apparently the popups left of folded down before it got too bad. We had a micro-burst early in the morning, which was so impressive we would not have been surprised if our trailer had turns on the leveler block (it hadn't). Our friends in the next side were oriented a bit better to the main winds in their Casita, but had a large branch blow across the site, graze the trailer, then go back in t he direction it came from and it ended up wedged in the picnic table.

12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Where are you camping, the top of Mt Washington?

13. firepit

Never leave a awning up during wind and take it down during forecasted wind.
    Live and learn...They are junk anyway from the get go.

Natureangel likes this.
  14. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Gusts to 50 in Big Bend and we packed up at 3 am and headed home. It was leaving day and no one was sleeping. 100 mph winds are EF1 level that will over turn mobile homes, strip roofs, and cause a lot of broken glass.

15. firepit

I have broke wind in the pop a few times that measured in EF4 level.

16. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Hot, sunny, calm afternoon when we left the campground to go to the rodeo in Cody, no forecast for bad weather. All was fine til about 10pm when a sudden huge gust came up and everyone in the stands fled like their lives depended on it! Figuring the locals knew better we fled too, couldn't find the truck because of all the dust blowing around. Finally located it, drove like a maniac back to the campground to find plenty of awning parts all over the campground. Finally got the camper down, moved it away from tree cover, and slept in my buddy's travel trailer.

17. mk4

mk4 Member

This was Pyramid Lake, Nevada 2 years ago in March. On the way up there really was no wind, but a lot of overturned rv's and big rigs. When I got there, something was strange because the weather was great, but no one was on the lake, the bar was packed.

I went down to the lake and a guy camped out in his Suburu told me that a wind storm blew in a day earlier. He went into Reno to shelter and came back that day. He said the fishing was good about 3 days earlier, then the wind came. It blew so much sand that the bathroom had 4" of sand inside.

About 7 years earlier, we were once again at Pyramid. There were weather reports that a wind strom was coming in with gusts to 100 mph. So we decided to cut the trip early.

18. mk4

mk4 Member

This was Pyramid Lake, Nevada.

The trip before that was the Lower Owens River when my Springbar collapsed. It did not break, it just collapsed. IIRC, gusts were 60 mph. I moved my truck to work as a windbreak, but I guess it didn't work well enough.