Window AC Unit installed with pics

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by grandebob, May 31, 2009.

1. grandebob

grandebob New Member

So with all the advice my father in law got from me, from you all, he got an 8,000 BTU Window AC unit and started hacking into the cabinet of his Jayco 1207. Here are some pics:

Inside view. Trim will eventually be installed around it for a more finished look.
    [​IMG]

Outside venting.
    [​IMG]

Inside the cabinet. Notice the vent holes.
    [​IMG]

Another inside the cabinet view.
    [​IMG]

The plan is to add some ducting around the side and some fans to push the hot air out and to pull outside arir in.

2. Halister

Halister New Member

That looks really nice. IS that enough ventilation through the back there?

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

YEPP, if the ventilation is sufficient, thats a great mod, grandebob.

4. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

Looks great! That is close to my origanal plan but I decided to go out the front to get the unit outside instead of worrying about ventilation. My pics will be coming later in the week.

5. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Have you given any thought to where the condensation will drain? I don't see a drain, and you are going to need one.

6. dupreet

dupreet New Member

I was wondering about drainage too - there is a heap of water that condenses off the rear coils and normally drains outside. You will definitely need ducting, fans, and insulation around the unit. There is a substantial amount of heat that comes off the backside of these units.....at the moment it will heat up your bunk noticeably with humid air that will cause moisture damage. On my front-mounted unit, the bunkboard under the AC (18" or so apart) gets warm to the touch when the unit is cranking in the summer.

Get the ventilation and drainage down and you will be set - Good Job

7. grandebob

grandebob New Member

A drain hose will be hooked up and sent out the floor, where the original water tank drain plug was.

I think more ventilation is required, but we had it on full blast for about two hours, and the inside of the cabinet didn't even get warm. Granted, it wasn't a 90 degree + day out, but I think it's a good start.

The idea is to shroud the back end (where heat exits) and have a fan blowing out. Then next to it, outside the shroud have a fan blowing in.

8. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Sounds good -

When building the shrouds, keep in mind that the airflow in the rear of the unit is designed for the 'outside' air to come in through the side vents and gets pushed out the the back through the coils.....make sure the side vents have access to 'outside' air when you construct them.

9. grandebob

grandebob New Member

Dupreet,

That was the plan.

10. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Looks good, I am not sure 8000 is going to be large enough though. I have a feeling you will have nice cool toes but the bunks will still be a bit warm. Hope it works out for you!

11. grandebob

grandebob New Member

Yah, 8,000 btu's of cold air on the floor is less than ideal, but for $100 investment...

The in-laws don't plan on hanging meat, just cool things down enough to get to sleep on those muggy summer nights.

12. grandebob

grandebob New Member

So the Father in law and I had a short trip this past weekend, day time temps in the mid 90's, high humidity. As pictured above, the window AC was merely spitting out hot air.

We shrouded the back (hot air out) with some simple cardboard (as a test). Leaving the seat cover off, and shrouding the exhaust seemed to help quite a bit. We plan on adding some thermostat controlled fans to help push the hot air out, and to pull fresh outside air in. We will probably add one to the fridge too to help keep that guy cool.

We also discovered that just because it was level during the install doesn't mean it will be level on every setup. D'oh!
    We tilted the unit in place slightly so that as long as the camper is reasonably level, the AC will still tilt toward the drain plug slightly.