Window Air Conditioner Installed

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by sharpedev, Mar 14, 2016.

1. sharpedev

sharpedev New Member

So this was a busy weekend doing my first camper mod. After reading for weeks about all the different ways to install a window air conditioner in a camper, I decided to go the in-cabinet route. Here are some pics. I've built Styrofoam channels for the outside air to circulate properly, as well as added an exhaust fan to ensure all the hot air escapes efficiently. Lastly, I installed an angled Styrofoam piece under the unit, to direct any condensation out the vent outside. I'm pretty proud of getting it to turn out decent, especially since I'm not really a carpenter or anything.

Attached Files:

2. TRR

TRR Active Member

Wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics of the Styrofoam channels, exhaust fan, and drip control.

3. MickeySp

MickeySp Member

Well done, looks like it belongs there!

4. Oranges Rhymed

Oranges Rhymed Member

Ditto! This is the first window/wall unit install in a pup that I've seen that doesn't look goofy as everything. Congratulations!

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks really good, It should keep you nice and cool, I had one that was installed at the factory similar,
    I had to make a vent that attached to the lower front and funnel the air upward toward the ceiling, it worked really good.

6. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Smart thinking, I could dump my cooler to add a ac unit in its place. I would love to see the rest of it

7. sharpedev

sharpedev New Member

Wow, thanks everyone! I didn't expect such a positive response. :)
    I'll take more pictures of the "ducting" I put in place and post it when I can.

8. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

Very nice. This actually let me rethink my AC installation. Why spend $600 to get a rooftop AC while a $99 windows AC can do the same task.

9. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

That looks great, I would remove the yearling decal though, I like that way!!

Window units are not as robust and wont last long with bouncing around on a road and such. However if mounted with rubber or some sort of vibration dampener it will prolong the life.

10. sharpedev

sharpedev New Member

Yeah, I had considered getting a roof-top too, but I had a hard time getting over the idea of cutting a hole in my perfectly seamless roof, and spending $600 on an A/C when I bought this one for $50 from a friend of mine. I tried to combine the best ideas I've seen online, and the total install cost me less than $100.

11. sharpedev

sharpedev New Member

Yeah, I need to remove the top-half of the Yearling sticker, but I knew that could wait until later. I mounted my A/C in pretty well, but you could be right in that the bumps of the road might take it out of commission earlier than normal, but at $50 cost for the unit, it's hard to complain!

12. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Well, you may wish to do your home work on this. I'll put a Coleman Mach roof mount A.C. up against a floor mount cheap 99 dollar A.C. (not engineered for bouncing around) all day. It will cycle less, cool much better overall. The A.C. at the floor has to work it's ass off because, well, cold air sinks. Having your A.C. up high cools the space much better and requires a smaller unit to do the same job. (Especially in a tent!) I don't have an A.C. on the roof, hate the thought of cutting into a nice roof like I have. In my business as an electrician/electrical contractor...if you can avoid a roof penetration at all, do it! If I do A.C. ever, doubtful, I'll only do this unit https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/coleman-mach-8.htm

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have the Coleman Mach 8 and love it...Yes, it was a hard decision to cut a hole in a perfectly good roof!!!

Nice install on the window unit.. [;)]

14. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

You know I am not one for MOST of the home window unit installs on PUPS, but dang you thought that out very well and like most of the other responses it looks very nice and I would go as far as saying it looks like it belongs as a factory unit when the pup was built! GREAT JOB! please keep us posted on the final details and how it works and if you had to do any changes once u get it out in the field.

15. EvilM0nkey

EvilM0nkey Camping fo free!

I'm not so sue this was a great idea to be honest. I think you're going to find that you'll end up with poor performace due to a lack of proper airflow in the back of the unit. Not to mention the water damage you're going to have from the condensation dripping out and being slung by the fan. You've also created a very hot box around the unit. Not to mention your unit has to get fresh air into the back as well.
    I hate to burst your bubble. But it's better you find out now!

My air conditioner will sling water everywhere on a humid day from the outside.

I did something similar but mine is outside.
    [​IMG]20150720_183154 by Ross, on Flickr

[​IMG]20150718_222701 by Ross, on Flickr

16. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I think it looks incredible. Enjoy the cool air. Don't let the engineers scare you. Just keep an eye out for water, but it sounds like you got it covered.

Nice Work.

17. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Nice job and looking forward to follow up pictures

18. sdn40

sdn40 Member

Love the concept and have been pondering the same concept for years.
    Some concerns voiced here are valid. Lack of air flow on the back of the unit will cause some issues I believe. There is another thread somewhere where something similar was done and airflow was blown across the back of the fins to solve the problem. This person built a special box for the unit. I'll try to locate it and post back.

Here it is: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=41338.0

19. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Nice job, we have a window unit too. It's work pretty well on our trailer! Love those window A/Cs!

20. shardtke11

shardtke11 New Member

Looks great! My DH put a window unit in our 1st pup and it worked well. Your installation looks great!