window leaking

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by HAPPYCAMPER33, Oct 18, 2019.

1. HAPPYCAMPER33

HAPPYCAMPER33 New Member

2012 rockwood a frame bubble window leaking. advise?

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Fix it.

NothingsChocking and WVhillbilly like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

It would GREATLY help if you added as much detail as you can. Pictures also help. You will not garner much response with general and vague questions.

4. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

The more I hear about A-Frame issues, the less inclined I am to consider changing from a pup. I know I am getting tired of canvas/rain issues but...

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Econ

Econ Active Member

I know nothing about Rockwoods except a brief inspection of two just before I bought the current camper. If it was an Aliner the bubble becoming unglued from the roof panel, caulking failure or corner stress cracks would be suspected.

HAPPYCAMPER33 likes this.
  6. HAPPYCAMPER33

HAPPYCAMPER33 New Member

Even though we are new to this, we love the hard sided pop up. The convenience of putting it up and down, the space inside and the ease of towing are great! Our model is old and I think the window issue is just general maintenance for an older camper.

Econ likes this.
  7. HAPPYCAMPER33

HAPPYCAMPER33 New Member

It appears to be caulking failure. We need to reseal and are looking for suggestions for sealing the bubble window back down on fiberglass.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Clean as much of the old chalk off and reseal. I ideal thing would be to remove the bubble but it is most likely to crack so I would leave it in place. I would not use silicone as if it had to be redone it will not come off. And stay away from household type caulk that the big box stores sell. I like Dico products.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If it was my camper, I would remove all of the old seal and then re-seal it. Some websites say you can just put more sealant on top of the old, but this is temporary and won't solve the cause of the cracking. More cracking is sure to follow. I just did this to my pup's vent this last summer and the entire repair took about an hour.

DO NOT USE SILICONE. In short, silicone will cause more problems than it will solve. Use Dicor or a similar lap sealant.

There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how to properly clean and apply sealants. Just remember that it is just as important to clean the area properly as it is to seal it properly.

If you still have questions on some o the details or just want more tips, call a Rockwood dealer's service center to pick their brains or ask how they would do it. Most service centers are happy to give pointers.

Raycfe likes this.
  10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Boy great minds think alike. LOL

BikeNFish likes this.
  11. HAPPYCAMPER33

HAPPYCAMPER33 New Member

Thank you very much!

12. Econ

Econ Active Member

This is a relative of what Aliner uses at the factory.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-...eywords=sikaflex+n+plus&qid=1571510676&sr=8-1

This stuff is more difficult to work with than house caulk. Some warm the tube. practice first.

I removed all of the old caulking using plastic razor blades and wallpaper knives.

After removing caulk mask off with painter's tape where you want the "caulk". Mask off surfaces within a foot or two of the caulk line. This stuff sticks to anything and can get allover.

It solved my rear bubble leak.

You may wish to add a signature line, see settings, and add your year and model. Also an approximate region of residence as that matters on some questions.

If you have to resort to thermonuclear options there is the ugly eternabond route

Personally i wouldn't use Dicor.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019