Winds and Coleman Utah

CurlingMama22

May 26, 2021
Sherwood Park, AB, Canada
We have recently purchased a new to us, 2007 Coleman by Fleetwood Utah. We've set it up in the front driveway and haven't had a chance to get out yet. We've had a few windy days lately (40+km/h or approx 25mph). As we are new PUP owners, the swaying of the roof alarmed us. But we are not sure whether we need to take it down. I've seen most people say 40mph (60km/h) winds are usually their limit, but I don't see much mention on roof sway. Anyone willing to set a newbies nerves at ease?

Thanks!

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
We have recently purchased a new to us, 2007 Coleman by Fleetwood Utah. We've set it up in the front driveway and haven't had a chance to get out yet. We've had a few windy days lately (40+km/h or approx 25mph). As we are new PUP owners, the swaying of the roof alarmed us. But we are not sure whether we need to take it down. I've seen most people say 40mph (60km/h) winds are usually their limit, but I don't see much mention on roof sway. Anyone willing to set a newbies nerves at ease?

Thanks!
It's normal...Does or did your camper come with 2 pole support braces?
Those are two pieces of u channel that pop over the roof lifting rails
on opposite corners...One one a front and rail and one one rear opposite corner
for safety.
They look like this.....

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 71
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

CurlingMama22

May 26, 2021
I edited my last post to better explain.
Do they get put on after you pop it open, or are they always on? If they have to be put on every time, then nope, we don't have them. I wouldn't even know where to start to get them or put them on

ETA: So doing more research, the Coleman by Fleetwood don't have them because each cable is a separate system, so the roof will not come down should one break

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
They slip over your lifting posts after the roof is raised not sure about your model but I think its new enough
it would of had them.
google Coleman pop up parts and get a number to call maybe.
They are for added safety to prevent the roof from falling if something ever happend....The roof will sway in the wind
regardless..

CurlingMama22

May 26, 2021
They slip over your lifting posts after the roof is raised not sure about your model but I think its new enough
it would of had them.
google Coleman pop up parts and get a number to call maybe.
They are for added safety to prevent the roof from falling if something ever happend....The roof will sway in the wind
regardless...

Thanks Firepit! I'll mention it to hubby to look into. Glad to know the roof sway isn't anything to worry about.!

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Note: My 87 did not have them and I made some (Not sure if they were necessary)
My 2019 came with them.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Congratulations and welcome from a fellow Utah owner.
I agree it is very scary to be in a camper while it is windy, but you should have no problems. I've been through many storms in my Fleetwood Utah. Once I had to move my car to help buffer the wind that was hitting it broadside that got quite scary but it's a heavy camper and although the roof was rocking it was still pretty stable. In my old popup I only once had to close it during a tropical storm when winds were threatening to go higher than 50 mph. We were afraid it would get damaged if things got stronger. Your awning is a different story so if your expecting wind, it is safer to put it away.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
You only need the safety rails if it is a Goshen lift system. The Goshen lift system has only one cable, so if the cable breaks the roof comes down.
Good to know...Even I managed learn something[:D]

McFlyfi

Super Active Member
Aug 1, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
It's normal...Does or did your camper come with 2 pole support braces?
Those are two pieces of u channel that pop over the roof lifting rails
on opposite corners...One one a front and rail and one one rear opposite corner
for safety.
They look like this.....
Coleman does not use the support braces. They are not part of the original design. I've been out in 50+ mph winds- scary, yes, no sleep yes, but it held up fine.

Jwwiff

Jul 16, 2015
I have an ‘07 Bayside (the sister unit to the Utah) and winds are OK. Having just replaced one of the lift cables, I can tell you that first, the door will keep the roof from coming down as well as each support corner has it’s own cable. When installing the corner lifts, the bottom bolts (4 on each corner) are snugged in an backed off 1//4 turn and the top ones (2 on each top) are only put on 1/2 way (the nuts are nylon and don’t move). Given this, the roof will move in the wind but is perfectly secure. Have fun camping! (And take your awning down if it gets windy).