Winter Battery Storage

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Rusty W, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Rusty W

Rusty W New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've winterized all the water systems in my PUP, but I have a question about the battery.

What is the best way to "winterize" the battery?

Leave it plugged in?

Leave it unplugged?

Take it out and store it? Store it where?

Thanks!

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Take it out. I store them in my garage. Lots of folks use a battery maintainer. I charge them about once a month and that’s it. Never had any issues. Way too cold to leave them outside here

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I leave mine in my TT because it's in a location that's easy to plug in. I plug the trailer in every month or so to top off the batteries.

On the other hand, I pull the battery out of my boat and take it in. I put a charger on it once or twice during the off season.

I have several seasonal vehicles with batteries. I put a maintainer on each every month or so for a day or until the light turns green.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

With a group 24 battery on our popup and the first one on the travel trailer, we took the battery into the garage, and put it on the charger once a month. We tried that once we changed to dual 6v batteries, but it was just more trouble to deal with.Our trailer lives in the driveway, so we leave it plugged in, since the on-board charger works well, doesn't over-charge, etc., and check water levels from time to time.
    [Since we now have a travel trailer, and relatively mild winters with the occasional storm, I'm in the trailer every 2 or 3 weeks, either to do some small task in it, or have some feline-free space for a project.]

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I pull the battery and set it on the bench in the rear unheated garage, swap it out on the charger every couple weeks with nephews boat battery..

xxxapache likes this.
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The battery from our TT is in our garage on a Battery Tender for the first time. In the past I've left it on the trailer -- disconnected -- without a problem. I brought it home after our last trip to have it tested. The TT is stored 65 miles from home so not making a special trip to take it back.

I have CRS so just hoping I don't forget to take it with us on our next trip. ;)

xxxapache and friartuck like this.
  8. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

If you live in an area with seriously cold weather, you don't want the battery to freeze. The best way to prevent that is to keep it charged up. You can either keep the camper plugged in or move the battery into the garage and use a charger or battery tender to keep it topped off.

xxxapache and kcsa75 like this.
  9. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I take mine out, trickle charge it for a day, and put in the basement of the house to keep it warm for the Winter. About mid-Winter, I will trickle charge it for a day again. Then in the Spring it gets trickle charged for a day when it goes in the trailer. Been doing it this way for years and get great life out of my batts. I got 14 summers out of my last batt. We'll see how much I get out of my current one, It's only 3 summers old right now.

gladecreekwy and xxxapache like this.