Winter Road Closures in California

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Wrenchgear, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We are doing final planning for our Cali Road Trip. When I look at a map of Cali, there are certain roads that are labeled as 'closed in winter'. 120 in Yosemite, and 180 and 190 in Giant Sequoia for example. How do we know if these roads are open for planning the trip? Do they open them on a certain day? Should we just assume that they are open by the first week of May?

2. world traveler

world traveler Member

3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Try here:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr120

While I live north in Oregon, my wife's family is split between Nevada and Cal, so I do the cross Sierra drive from time to time. May is probably a bit early this year for some of the passes. A call to Caltrans may get you the specifics you require.

Good luck with your trip!

4. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I can't speak for the others, but 120 thru yosemite will probably not be open until about Memorial Day, maybe later. There is a lot of snow this year.

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

It seems to me I was out there in June one time and they had just opened up a pass!!

6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Cal trans is actually removing snow from the highway and hauling it away in some places. 108 over Sonora pass and 120. It isn't gonna melt off before July I think.