Winter Storage Help

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by IdahoLegend, Sep 11, 2019.

1. IdahoLegend

IdahoLegend New Member

Greetings!

I’m a first year owner and would love some feedback on how to get my PUP ready for winter.

I live in Idaho, and we get a fair amount of snow, so I’m wondering what needs to be done to prepare for that. It will be stored outside. Do I need to tarp it, or will it be okay exposed to the snow for several months?

Also, should I pull the battery and propane tanks? How do you empty the water from where the toilet is? I imagine that needs done as well.

Any extra tips y’all have in addition to the questions above would be great.

Thanks!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You can leave your camper exposed but do keep in mind you may need to brush snow off your roof. In regards to winterizing if you have a hot water heater and water pump you will also need some RV antifreeze to protect all your pipes/pump from freezing. If your camper has a water heater you will also need to look into putting in, if it doesn't already have a water heater bypass. You tube has some good winterizing videos to assist. You will have to bring the battery inside and put on a charger. Cold kills batteries. The propane can stay outside.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The toilet isnt under pressure , so i just pumped some antifreeze through the lines( hand pump) it dosent need any in the other end, and just drained the lines. The rest, as said, bring in the battery, put antifreeze through the lines.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You can leave the battery out. I use a battery tender and have never brought a battery inside. Current battery is 4 years old with no ill effects of winter

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Do you use your battery tender exposed to the elements? I would be afraid of electrical shock myself. I understand if you had it inside an unheated garage

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Tender has been exposed since new