Winter storage portable garage

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by carguy4471, Feb 18, 2020.

1. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

Does anyone have experience with the harbor freight or shelter logic portable garage products??

My sister has allowed me the use of a single car concrete slab next to her garage to store my new PUP and I'd love to have a way to keep UV off of it.

The above products in the $200-350 neighborhood are very attractive. If they only last 3-4 years I feel the cost would be worth it. Still much cheaper than indoor storage by a great deal.

If anyone has some experience with these products I'd be delighted to hear about your experience. I'd call the budget $500 for something that would last a good number of years, less for something good to last 2-4 years.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

For not much more money, you can out up a metal carport that will last decades.

3. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

Any details or links on where to buy or pricing?

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'm probably a good resource for you.

I have a SUV Garage in the Box, cost about $650, and took me about 2 hours to put up (with help). I got this specific model because I'm in a snow area, and needed a snow load rated unit. (Picture at the end of message). This is my second unit. My first unit was *not* snow load rated, and collapsed in a bad storm (Camper was not stored in the unit at the time, but it did damage my Lawn tractor which was)

I've also researched Garagebuildings.com You call them, pay the bill, and they deliver and setup the building.
    It's about $2500 for a unit with two sides (open on the ends)
    https://garagebuildings.com/18x24-a-frame-carport/
    It's about $3500 for a unit with a roll up door. These are classed as Carports.

They also have "Sheds" with different construction (more traditional )
    https://garagebuildings.com/12x21-enclosed-garage/
    this are like $4100

[​IMG]

5. xxxapache

Perhaps metal carports are a regional thing. Where I live there are several companies. I can see from my house a sign that says 12 x 21 installed on one at a place that sells them.

I paid $650 for my 18 x20 about 19 years ago. It was money well spent.

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm with Apache..around here you can find new metal carports installed for $650. @carguy4471 I didn't look to see where you live but find one that holds up to your environment. Snow load, wind etc.

7. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

I live in MN. I've been doing a little searching and don't seem to be finding much. Are the new metal ones you find @ that price just a top or do they have sides?

8. xxxapache

That's just a top

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm wondering if it's a regional thing as well. Around here any carport with a metal roof, not installed, is well over a grand here and that's just the roof. My uncle bought a HUGE portable carport with metal frame with garage door and a thin plasticy side (thicker than a tarp type material) and so far it's held up in the Rhode Island winter's for a few years now. He bought his at a store located up there but no idea what it was called. He assembled it himself and modified it somewhat. He made sure he bought one to handle his snows they see up there. He didn't like the Anker supports his came with so bought something else to provide more stability.
    It's a little tacky but his area doesn't give him a hard time about it, but his area is a little more lenient than mine. I wish I had a picture of it. He even added a regular door, a wood stove, insulation to help retain heat and to top it off a huge car lift. Darn thing is as big as his house but he loves to work on his cars, and has a ton of tools so he needed a place to work and store his stuff.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Not sure where you live, but I have to agree that IF you live in a place with snow, be sure the unit you buy is snow load rated. I live in Alaska, and we see the garage in a box deals all the time, and when you run out to get one, only then do you find out they are NOT snow load rated. There are a lot of them flapping in the breeze once the snow has its way with them. But, in general, they do the job intended, shed water and block UV... for a few years.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just for thought. As i also have no idea of your area. Here in nj, most towns would want permits and setbacks. That means surveys. Not all towns are like this. But best to check anonymously before doing it if it could be a problem. Yes , welcome to the bean counter state. If you have beans they want there cut.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yeah, we poured a 12x24 slab next to the garage. Because the corner of the slab is just under 5' from the property line I cannot build a carport that is attached to the garage. So a stand alone unit is my best bet. I have yet to find a snow rated tempy garage that will fit on the slab and be able to have the pup inside it without it costing a fortune!

13. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon New Member

Have had a few SHELTER-LOGIC tent sheds. BOTH ended up destroyed by ND winds.....and snow. Gave up. Now I tarp or rent a storage unit to store/protect my stuff. WIND.jpg SNOW.jpg

14. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I've seen a few tarp buildings that, after the cloth is gone, folks add steel sheet to enclose it. A staged plan to think about.

15. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Sometime's it not just the tarp..

This is my NON snow loaded unit. Hence why I spent 3 times as much to by a snow loaded unit. I almost bought the steel building, but couldn't spend the money at the time. I figured when this new one dies, I can afford the steel one.

upload_2020-2-19_10-26-51.png

16. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

That's the thought. If it lasts a few years it's really worth the couple hundred bucks. When the tarp wears out I can throw some tin on it.

J Starsky likes this.
  17. TRR

TRR Active Member

I bought the HF 10x17 portable garage 5 years ago to park my pop-up in. I paid $149.99 with a coupon. I'm in Alabama so snow-load isn't really an issue here. I mostly just wanted UV and rain shelter. It's held up longer than I expected. I leave the end door flap rolled up to allow air flow. It's weathered some high winds with no issues. The wind blows in and then escapes out the bottom vent flaps. At this point I've got a few holes in the roof of the tarp, but I just bungie a regular tarp over the pop-up itself. The HF garage keeps off most of the rain, leaves, etc. and the secondary tarp does the rest. Heat buildup under the secondary tarp isn't an issue since the HF garage is shading it.

18. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

Good to know. I was almost thinking of it as a disposable garage. You can get them on sale for $169 right now.

The least expensive rental storage I could find was $40 a month. Once of these is a little over $14 a month if it only lasts one year. And you can apparently buy new covers for them now.

But even if you couldn't, if it lasts 2 years, it's a little over $7 a month.

Sounds like a steal to me.

19. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

OR put some tin down first then the tarp...passerbys wouldn't know the difference

20. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I use one of the harbor freight "portable garages" on Long Island in NY. Only one season so far, but I love it for the price! Didn't see any real snow this year, but holds up great in the wind and rain. I'm pretty sure you can pay a little extra for the extended warranty. Then they'll in theory replace no questions asked if the tarp rips and/or legs bend. Not sure if they expect you to break down your old one and bring it back in first though. I added in some support via ratchet straps going from the peak of the roof down to the top of the "wall". I figured that would help prevent water collecting and pooling in the roof. I also added in ratchet straps horizontal at the top of the walls thinking if any rain/snow did collect in the roof this would hep the walls from bowing out under the weight.