Winter trip and the Dewalt drill.

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Grandpa Don, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Last week I just had to go on a short camping trip. I wanted to test out a few things that I recently purchased. I got a Dewalt 12vMax cordless drill for raising and lowering the top and for using on the BAL leveler. It was just a short over-nighter, but it was still fun. I also bought a new Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Watt generator. I didn't need a generator on this short trip, but I wanted to see how it worked on my A/C unit (13,500 watts) It did great! After 3 years with a popup camper I finally have the set-up and take-down procedure down to a science. The only thing I would like to get now is some kind of foot or bunk warmer that works off of 12 volt. I see that there are many to choose from on the Internet, but what do you guys recommend? I did make one potentially serious mistake in the stake-down sequence when I was lowering the top. Fortunately I caught it quickly. Let's see who can spot it. Go have a look.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Nice video.
    old glory not flying
    raising with roof latch connected
    lowering tongue without pulling back yoke on coupler
    propane collar not positioned to protect from road debris

3. Grandpa Don

Damn you got a good eye for detail. I did pull back the coupler, but it slid forward again and I didn't notice it until I lowered the hitch onto the ball. Good eye! The roof latch was more serious. Here's what happened. That 2 inch foam pad on my bunk makes it difficult to latch the front. I mentioned that in the video. After a while the foam assumes the flat position and the top latch will unlatch just by flipping the plate. This time I didn't give it enough time to go flat. You will notice that I did unlatch it, but it did not unhook from the roof. I need to be more aware of that next time. I normally raise the top just about an inch or less so that I don't deform the seal on the door when I pull the door open. Thank goodness it was only an inch!

I'm not sure what you mean by the propane collar positioning. I have a 4 foot hose on that tank. The idea is that when the tank is empty at a camp site I can just unscrew the hose and re-connected it to my spare tank that will be sitting right there by the tongue. Facing in that direction just makes it a little easier to see and do if I have to do it in the middle of the night.

I did forget my flag!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

kcsa75 and Econ like this.
  5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Even with a cover I have the open part of the collar face back, YMMV

you can read in the FRIST comment of slim potato video that the link he keep posting for a 12v blanket gets moved! His suggestion is low wattage, his is 2.5A

Grandpa Don likes this.
  6. Grandpa Don

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Wow! And I thought I was lazy.[LOL] Boil a pan of water over the fire, fill the hot water bottle and toss it under the sheets.

Easy peezy.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  8. Grandpa Don

It would work. But I still think I would rather just plug in the cord, set the dial, crawl into my sleeping bag and go to sleep with the same temperature all night long.

9. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Throw Mary under the covers and forget about the water bottle leaking! Besure to reinforce the bunk rails first:)>)

10. rhbowler

rhbowler New Member

My Rockwood came with heated mattresses, they are just warm enough to kill the chill, but you do need 110V to use them.

11. CajunMan

CajunMan Active Member

Yes. You need shore power for the mattresses. My Rockwood has them also

12. Jeri Sullivan

Jeri Sullivan Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Rockwood and I would like to get a drill to raise and lower my top. Did you have to get a special drill bit. If so, where did you get.

13. Grandpa Don

The drill bit depends on the type of winch you have. You can get them from a variety of places online. As for a drill, no impact drivers! I have the Dewalt 20 voltMax 1/2 drive cordless drill. It works great on my Goshan manual winch, and my cousin has the same drill that works fine on this Whiffletree lift system.

14. Jeri Sullivan

My Rockwood has the Goshen lift system as well. Where did you get your bit

15. Grandpa Don

This is the one that worked for me. I had an electric winch on my camper when I bought it. But last year I replaced it with a manual winch from eTrailer. You will need a pretty beefy drill to raise it thought. https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Cylinders-Socket-Jenie-Pop-Up/dp/B07H2N1FJ8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TTZERTQHL0BC&dchild=1&keywords=socket+jenie+used+to+raise+pop-up+roof&qid=1610763360&sprefix=socket+jenie,aps,220&sr=8-1

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  16. Jeri Sullivan

Thank you for the information. I can't wait try it.