Winterize

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by redz, Sep 15, 2016.

1. redz

redz New Member

Hi Everyone,

Looking for information on Winterizing my PUP. This is my first year doing this. I have read allot of posts on the forum about winterizing but still have some questions. Do you know of any videos and such where they remove the water and add antifreeze and such.

I'm also doing research on what to leave in the trailer and how to protect the trailer from rodents. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edit..

In addition I'm up in Winnipeg, MB.. It gets very very cold in the winter here..

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There are all types of post on the subject on this site. I would start by doing a search and reading some of the posts.

3. Birdwoman26

Birdwoman26 New Member

We have found that putting used cat litter in the camper and around the camper outside has kept the mice away! It doesn't smell as bad as mothballs, lol!

4. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

We put dryer sheets in our camper. It even smells good when we open it up

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

6. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

If you go to YouTube there are lots of videos there. I did mine for the first time by myself and it was super easy after watching some videos. We put fresh cab packs in ours and dryer sheets and have been lucky so far. And we store in a shed in the country.

Good luck! But it really is pretty easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

7. redz

redz New Member

Thanks for the replies.. I have been on youtube and reading through the forums. There's so many different models of RV's and accessories.

Just trying to grasp what people are talking about and relating that to my setup.

8. tsc

tsc Member

Here is another good source

https://he-ruide.smugmug.com/Winterizing

And the rest of site has good info too

https://he-ruide.smugmug.com

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We do sever things. Our camper is stored in the garage. I put out bait stations in the garage, put dryer sheets in the camper. Heard good things about pepermint oil, might try his year.

But we start by cleaning the camper and removing food things.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Do the best you can at cleaning it up and closing up gaps. Some people swear by things such as dryer sheets, Irish Spring, peppermint oil, and Cab Fresh. Others have found the dryer sheets used as bedding by the rodents and similar results.
    I have used covered snap traps near the camper, I don't like having to deal with birds being caught, etc. Won't use poison, as I want to know where they die, and don't want to indirectly poison the kestrel, merlin, road runner, fox, neighborhood cats (mine stay inside, wish the others did), etc. that may visit the yard. I do use snap traps in the garage too - maybe one thing that has saved our campers from invasion is that our garage is more accessible to mice. I tried Cab Fresh in the garage a couple of years ago, after having a mouse in the4Runner. I couldn't handle the odor of the Cab Fresh in the vehicle, set off major asthma issues. The mice ran right over it to get into the garage, so I'm not really sure how well it works. They did the same with the peppermint oil I placed on the entry path into the garage. I've never tried the dryer sheet or peppermint oil in the campers, due to our asthma issues.
    Here's a section with posts on winterizing:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=57.0

11. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

My DW heard about Irish Spring as a critter getter and stole several of my bars to shave and put around her plants as a deer preventative. Long story short, it didn't work. I think the deer liked having a good washup after dinner though.

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Oh no.....now you have done it....reminding me that camping season is almost over.
    Still plan to get more trip in before doing the deed.

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

As for the mouse issue, ...... You gotta be pro active on these things. Get those traps set up. I set traps all around the perimeter of the house and back shop and garden shed. I usually get upwards of 20 per year in those traps. Thats the first line of defense. Next is to fill those cracks underneath the Pup. I went under my Pup with a caulking gun of window silicone. It stays rubbery and I figure they would have a tough time chewing through. I pumped every nook and cranny full. Everywhere a wire goes through the floor, or propane pipe, or hole drilled for anything, pump it full. Look up into the wheel well/fenders and see if there are holes up in there from stones or rocks that need to be fixed. I used about 2 full tubes under the Pup, pump it full. Theres a few things left after that. The door, the top, the vent for the furnace, and the vents for the fridge. If concerned with the door, you could jamb steel wool in the door crack and cover it with duct tape just before winter storage. The area where the top meets the body would be pretty hard for them to get up to. Make sure the clasps are pulling the roof down good and tight. Check the corners of where the roof meets the body to see that there aren't any openings in those areas, and fill them full of steel wool just before winter storage. I made a cover for over the furnace vent. I made it for bees/wasps, but it keeps everything out. I put metal screening behind my fridge vents, again for bees/wasps, but again works for mice. If not, you could fashion some wood over the vents. Remove a couple (4) of screws that hold the vents on, position a piece of old paneling over both vents, and re install the screws. Doing this should keep them all out.

14. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

We are new to pup campers too, although have had motorhomes and travel trailers, so not entirely newbies. I plan on leaving our bedding and everything in the pup over the winter, but was wondering if anyone has tried sealing up pillows, bedding, and stuff like that in those vacuum sealed bags? I'm sure the mice could chew through the plastic, but maybe it would be enough to dissuade them some?

15. lvmycag

lvmycag Member

We use a cheese grater and shred Irish spring and put in baggies all through the pup. In 18 years we have never had mice.

I

16. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I think "winterize" can mean different things, depending on what equipment your camper has. Mine, the water system, is hand pump and tank, plus porta-potty. The pump has a weak check valve, 1/2 hour after we use it, self drained back to tank. Winters, the PP lives in the basement. Drain the tank, the water system is freeze safe.
    No for the folks talking rodent control, do you only worry about that in winter? Packing up to come home from every trip, we clean everything, and take out all food. Couple times a year we flashlite, the floor to be sure all is sealed.

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Probably had leprechauns though.
    This guy has kept mice out for the last few years.

Attached Files:

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Hmm, that's a tough one. Cat pee has to be one of the worst smelling substances on earth (and covering it with perfume in the litter doesn't help). But mothballs are pretty nasty too.