Winterizing popup

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by 3fortheroad, Sep 18, 2021.

1. 3fortheroad

3fortheroad New Member

Although we have had many trailers and rvs, this is our 1st experience winterizing a popup. Ours has a holding tank, hot water heater outside shower and sink.

In the past, we have drained all the tanks, blown them out well, put rv antifreeze in the sink traps and left the taps open. Does anyone follow this same routine with their Popup? We live in Ontario Canada.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its the same. No diffrent. Unless you have a cassette tolet, then i drain it. And make sure the water is out of the tube . I think inused to throw some antifreeze in there also, i dont remember, but its unlikely to break anything but the feed tube to the flush valve.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Process is identical..

4. davidh001_pdx

davidh001_pdx New Member

Hi there, I'm a first time owner and I have several questions on how to winterize my Pop Up - i'm in a much milder winter climate (Portland OR) but want to ensure it is put to rest for the winter. I have a basic 'starter' PUP - no toilet. Did anyone share a list of must do's such as Battery off and on a trickler supply, battery out of smoke detector, etc.? Looking for any tips for winterizing...

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For water system winterizing, there are lots of YouTube videos out there, to watch.
    As for the rest.. here's what I do.
    Outside..
    Remove trailer battery, place in garage and cycle it on the battery maintainer every couple weeks (maintainer is shared between atv, lawn tractor and nephews boat batteries) .
    Inspect all the sealant and repair as required with proper sealants.
    Make sure propane tanks are off.
    Inflate tires to max psi plus 5 psi (it's not going anywhere and the extra 5psi in my climate helps prevent flat spots) .
    Cover tires .
    Spary things that move with a silicone based spray (steps, door hinges, coupler, stabs, tongue jack).

Inside
    Remove all food.
    Remove anything that could freeze (awning cleaners, shampoo, etc).
    Place original bounce sheets everywhere (we use 3/4 of a large box) including under mattresses and the port where the trailers power cord is.

Since this is your first time, also be an good idea to crawl around under the trailer and fill any and all holes in the floor around plumbing, gas lines with brass wool, silicone, mouse proof spray foam ..

6. davido

davido Well-Known Member

On mine:
    • Drain the main tank.
    • Drain the water heater.
    • Remove water filter.
    • Drain the Thetford toilet freshwater tank.
    • Remove the Thetford toilet waste water cassette
    • Pour 1/3 gallon of RV antifreeze into the Thetford freshwater tank and run the pump for a moment.
    • Pour 2 and 2/3rds gallons of RV antifreeze into the freshwater tank.
    • With the water heater NOT in bypass mode: Run the pump for a moment to get a little RV antifreeze into the bottom of the water heater.
    • Switch the water heater to bypass mode. Run the pump long enough for pink to flow out of each faucet (interior shower, exterior shower, and sink)
    • Allow enough of the pink antifreeze to flow in the sink and interior shower that I see it come out of the drains.
    That's about it. Now I know I've got RV antifreeze in all the lines, including the drain lines.

7. Dave2514g

Dave2514g New Member

Fergus, ON resident here; where are you located?
    I do a similar process to you, but after blowing out the lines I draw antifreeze directly at the pump and run each faucet until pink comes out and then leave it closed. The winterizing process is the simplest part of our pack up for winter storage. I focus the most on ensuring pests don't get into the camper while its stored in the barn. Never had an issue with either; knock on wood...

8. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Cleaned out all the Food crumbs, took out all the linens, Blew out water lines, and added rv antifreeze, Officially. Closed up for the season !

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Nice little 5th wheel dave!