Winterizing question

mpotapa

Mar 11, 2014
I just bought a 2014 Rockwood 2280BH last week and will have to winterize it. Is this the correct things to do?

- Drain water heater
- Drain fresh water tank.
- Bypass the water heater and fresh water tank.
- Disconnect the pump and hook a hose up to it and put the other end in the RV antifreeze.
- pump antifreeze through the faucet, outdoor shower, and indoor shower

Is there anything I'm missing? It seems simple enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty

Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.
Aug 10, 2013
I always pull out the water heater anode rod and leave it out. I also pull off all the drain traps, even the one by the drain cap on the outside. And the big one ... dont forget the outside shower if you have one, this got me big time a couple of years ago. I never used anti-freeze, I would blow out the water lines with compressed air. [2C]

EV2

Mar 18, 2008
Raycfe said:
Unseat the city water inlet check valve to get antifreeze in that line.
Do not do this with pressure on the line or you will displace the o-ring.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
EV2 said:
Do not do this with pressure on the line or you will displace the o-ring.

X3 .. if you do happen to unseat the o-ring there are several how to's on the net and youtube on repairing the o-ring..

mpotapa

Mar 11, 2014
I did it but I have no clue if I displaced the o-ring. Would I know right away if I did?

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
In the future, it is best practice to blow out the lines first with a blowout plug like this (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Brass-Quick-Connect/dp/B002XL2IEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413761119&sr=8-1&keywords=blow+out+plug) BEFORE introducing antifreeze into the system. Some of the cheap antifreezes will actually freeze/slush up, so mixing them in with water will dilute them, and you'd be more apt to have damage.

This will also eliminate having to do anything with the city water inlet, although I picked up one of these this year that I will pump a bit of antifreeze into that line, as well as the two tank rinser fittings I have on my camper.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-Hand-Pump-Kit/dp/B0006IX7YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413761235&sr=8-1&keywords=camco+hand+pump

Good Luck!

mpotapa

Mar 11, 2014
KMH said:
In the future, it is best practice to blow out the lines first with a blowout plug like this (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Brass-Quick-Connect/dp/B002XL2IEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413761119&sr=8-1&keywords=blow+out+plug) BEFORE introducing antifreeze into the system. Some of the cheap antifreezes will actually freeze/slush up, so mixing them in with water will dilute them, and you'd be more apt to have damage.

This will also eliminate having to do anything with the city water inlet, although I picked up one of these this year that I will pump a bit of antifreeze into that line, as well as the two tank rinser fittings I have on my camper.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-Hand-Pump-Kit/dp/B0006IX7YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413761235&sr=8-1&keywords=camco+hand+pump

Good Luck!

Yeah I actually did blow the lines out with my compressor first before I ran the antifreeze through

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
Excellent! If you ran it through the city water inlet connection, you don't even really need to do anything with it at this point. As I mentioned above, I bought a manual pump, but mainly for the two tornado tank rinsers I have, though I'll end up using it for the city water inlet as well, for the 2 feet between the inlet the where it tees off inside.

mpotapa

Mar 11, 2014
KMH said:
Excellent! If you ran it through the city water inlet connection, you don't even really need to do anything with it at this point. As I mentioned above, I bought a manual pump, but mainly for the two tornado tank rinsers I have, though I'll end up using it for the city water inlet as well, for the 2 feet between the inlet the where it tees off inside.

I did push in the city water connection and some antifreeze shot out. I made sure I had the pump to my camper turned off. I hope I didn't mess anything up.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
You could also just dump the antifreeze in the water holding tank and pump from there. When finished drain the extra antifreeze out of the water holding tank back int the antifreeze jug(s) and save for next year.

Don't for get to add some antifreeze to your drains.

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
Most times (not sure about others' experiences), I have found that the last 1 or 2 gallons in the freshwater tank aren't always usable by the pump anyways... Which means you may find that you need more antifreeze than expected to pump it through the freshwater tank, and will waste a decent amount. YMMV, but hooking up a barbed fitting to the inlet side, or adding the winterization kit makes things much easier. Personally, I don't have a winterization kit on there yet, as hooking up a barbed fitting to my pump takes as long as it would to turn the valve. That, and I'll be adding an accumulator tank and another freshwater tank in the spring.

Fleetwood Max

Aug 14, 2005
St Louis. Mo
I don't have the winterization kit either... I find the hand pump in my opinion, to actually work better... plus i had tried to AF down through the fresh water, and let the water pump run the AF through the system.. almost 4 gals later i gave up that idea and went to the hand pump...