Winterizing

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by cubano222, Oct 31, 2016.

1. cubano222

cubano222 Member

I've had my pup for 3 years & haven't had a problem with anything freezing but I want to get opinions. I always drain the hot water tank but that's all because I've never used my fresh water tank or pump. I figure the only thing I have to worry about is the hot water tank & the galley faucet. I have a blow out plug but have never used it. If I drain the water tank, can I blow out the kitchen faucet with air? Do I have to use the pink stuff & somehow get it in the kitchen faucet? How do I make sure the is no water in the lines going to the kitchen faucet? We've never fired up the hot water tank, we just hook up to city water & used the kitchen faucet. We live just north of Nashville & temps will get down in the 20's during the night but warms up during the day. How should I properly winterize my pup?

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have had some warmer winters the last few years, so you may have been lucky.

But yes, you should a least blow out your lines, faucets and any showers heads. I would drain my water heater, put the plug back in the water heater without tape and blow out the lines, than pull the plug out back out of the water heater and let it drain again. I would also leave all low point drains open.

I would still recommend running a few pints of antifreeze through the pump. Juts in case the check valve in the water pump leaked water into the pump from the city water lines.

3. cubano222

cubano222 Member

As a follow up to my first post, my 1997 Key West has the water heater in the front storage compartment in a wood box. Last year I unscrewed the top of the box & looked at my water heater but did not see any water lines unless they are on the back going from the storage box into the galley. I don't know where I would find if there has ever been a bypass installed. I can't see any water lines under the trailer either.

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Don't know what you are talking about bypass valves??? You did not say anything in your first post, nor did I about bypass valves. I think you must have several post going on the subject and got confused on the thread?

5. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

He did say that was a followup to his original post. He is just asking the question. I don't see anything confusing about it. [2C]

6. cubano222

cubano222 Member

I have read that some water heaters have a bypass that would allow you to pump pink stuff in your water lines & not get it in the hot water tank. I don't know where to look to see if my pup has this. I guess I need to look closer under the trailer to see if I see water lines from the hot water tank. I just didn't know if I drain the hot water tank & air blow the lines if this will be enough to keep my lines from freezing. If so, then I don't need to worry about getting antifreeze in the hot water tank. Just getting opinions from you guys.

7. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

My current pup has no water Hx. When I had my TT, I never put anti-freeze in the water Hx. I just drained it and drained the lines from the low point drain. I figured any small remaining water would still leave enough room to allow expansion during freezing temps. Never had a problem doing it that way. I bypassed the Heater when putting anti-freeze through the rest of the system.

8. cubano222

cubano222 Member

Thanks, guys. That's how I've been doing it but didn't want to screw something up with freezing. In my old motorhome, when I bought it, the hot water tank was split open evidently from freezing. I never fixed it & sold it that way. Didn't want to mess up anything in the pup.