Wire baskets for frig shelves?

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by davekro, Sep 8, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Member

What do you all use to hold the small amount of items the small dometic frig fit on te two shelves and bottom? What do you actually usually put in the frig vs. a cooler.
    I am wondering if keeping two small blue ice pack in the frig will help the 'air' return to cold(er) once the frig has been opened.

Do you actually open your frig more than 2-3 times per day and have it replace it's coldness in an hour or so? I still need to check mine for sub par operation.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

There not great, i use mine for drinks and stuff like ketchup. Food goes in a cooler.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Same as Sjm9911. I use mine to keep cans and bottled drinks cool and opened condiments. I use the Yeti for all other perishables.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

We pre-cool our fridge the day before we leave, so it's nice and cold when we pack all our meat, cheese, condiments in it. We use the cooler for drinks as we need to open it many time throughout the day to stay "hydrated". Keep in mind we are on Vancouver Island and our summers don't get as hot as the rest of the country.

5. davekro

davekro Member

Yesterday, I completed pulling the frig. out and checking the flu (it was clean). The orifice was also clean, but there was some bug related debris in the burner tube that got cleaned out. That is why my flame went out on me once on trip #1. I think it will burn with a cleaner more consistent flame now. I'm hoping my cooling efficiency went up by 20% to get closer to the 'not so awesome' OEM cooling ability. ;o)

But do you just put whatever on the shelves loose? I had cut some holes in small cardboard trays I made for now to hold the few bottles of condiments, cheese, etc that we put in on the first trip. It seemed quicker (door closed faster) to pull the entire shelf's tray out to get/use related items. I may be over thinking this as I'm known to do. ;o)

Thanks to all for your comments on the use of the frig.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm with the others. My fridge is mainly used for drinks and some fridge stuff but not for things that could go bad such as milk eggs etc. I usually just put the items directly on the shelf. Every thing else is in my cooler. My fridge is honestly only opened like once maybe twice a day as I usually just drink water. Then again my fridge is not very reliable especially during the summer as it can occasionally get above safe temps. At least with my cooler my meat stays frozen.

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Drinks and coffee creamer in cooler because it get opened a lot. Food in the fridge, any food that is going to be used after day two goes in frozen. Any empty space I fill with freezer packs or frozen water bottles. I have a thermometer in the fridge and have no problem keeping food cold.

8. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I added exhaust fans to the rear of my fridge to help move the hot air out. I sacrificed an old computer and to three small 12 volt fans. The two smaller ones blow air directly on the fins on the back of the Fridge. The bigger one moves air out of the rear compartment. I tested them in my driveway at home when I complete the install. It was a 104 degree day outside. Before the fans the temp inside was approaching 55 degrees. Not good! After the install I dropped the temp down to around 47 degrees. Better, but not the best. But again, it was 104 degrees in the shade that day. There are multiple videos on how to install fans. I made a post to the forum somewhere on here including photos. I don't know where that is now. do a search and have a look.

https://www.popupportal.com/attachments/20190901_110035-jpg.54710/

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

The best investment is a cheap, hanging fridge thermometer. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I have not had a problem with the fridges. My PUP fridge froze everything if I didn't turn it down to low and it stayed lit except in transit. The current fridge in my TT keeps stuff right at 40 all the time. In fact, we turn it on on May, and don't turn it off until we store the rig in September. Granted, I'm not camping in the 80s and 90s too often (but more often than I would have liked this season) but even then it kept it right in the 40s, and the ice cream solid. I don't have any fans, just the stock rig, BUT, I do have a straight chimney right up to the roof and not a side chimney. I have heard that really helps the unit breathe better.

10. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We have never used ours for food. Never got cold enough. Store plates, cups etc. Been thinking about pulling it out for years.

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

RV fridges work a LOT better with a top vent rather than a side vent.

I put a few pieces of velcro on the outside wall. When I parked, I used them to hold a piece of reflectix there. It does help to keep the sun's heat from warming the back of the fridge. Helped cool it down nice. I do notice that I can't store milk in the door like I do in the clipper - the FnR fridge door doesn't cool down as much as the rest of the fridge.

12. Grandpa Don

After I installed the three exhaust fans in the back of my Fridge, I ran a test with a hanging thermometer inside. Again, it was 104 degrees that day. At night it only got down to about 75. I tested it on Shore power for the night. In the morning I check the thermometer. It was 28 degrees inside. But by the afternoon with the outside temp hovering around 102, the Fridge got up to about 48 degrees. I don't think I can do better than that. I'm anxious to see what it will do when the weather starts getting cooler. Right now the outside temp is 85 at 1'oclock in the afternoon. Not too bad. I can breath again. I'll probably take the camper out again in a couple off weeks.

13. BillyMc

Did you have anything in the fridge? You can keep a more even temp if you have the fridge full. I fill unused space with cold water bottles. As we use food from the fridge I move cold water bottles from the cooler to the fridge.

14. Grandpa Don

I only had a couple of water bottles in it at the time. I was just test it to see what it could do.

15. BillyMc

I was getting partially frozen eggs in the mornings. Since keeping it full my eggs haven't froze and I have colder temps at lunch and dinner time. We generally plan what we are going to eat for what meal on each day prior to packing for a trip. All cold foods for meals after the 2nd day go in the fridge frozen. Depending on what it is and when we leave 2nd day dinner may also be frozen. I have one of these hanging from the lower shelf in our fridge. Mornings are generally between 30 and 32 degrees. Lunch time doesn't change much, 32 to 34 degrees. Dinner time with outside temp around 100 degrees it will be up to 38 degrees. I would rather the late day temps be lower, but if I set the fridge any lower I get frozen eggs in the morning. Considering installing a 12 volt fan and powering it with a solar panel as it only needs to run during the day.

16. davekro

davekro Member

I discovered that when it is not 100º ambient (plus sin beating on frig side of PUP) that we had frozen milk (bottom) & salad (2nd shelf) with frig on max (7). On day two I lowered gas to #6. I now realize keeping the frig full would help average out temperature peaks and freezes better. I had thought to keep a large blue ice that covers most of the bottom as a way to recool from 'openings'. Now I realize that in the 80º and lower temps, I can probably rotate blue ice to the frig to re-freeze it overnight :eek:)
    I may play with filling empty spaces with blue ice vs. 1/2? frozen water containers, at least on the bottom.
    Funny now that the September temps are lowering from high ambient temps, the frig issue is now to protect from freezing! ;o)