Wire baskets for frig shelves?

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by davekro, Sep 8, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Member

What do you all use to hold the small amount of items the small dometic frig fit on te two shelves and bottom? What do you actually usually put in the frig vs. a cooler.
    I am wondering if keeping two small blue ice pack in the frig will help the 'air' return to cold(er) once the frig has been opened.

Do you actually open your frig more than 2-3 times per day and have it replace it's coldness in an hour or so? I still need to check mine for sub par operation.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

There not great, i use mine for drinks and stuff like ketchup. Food goes in a cooler.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Same as Sjm9911. I use mine to keep cans and bottled drinks cool and opened condiments. I use the Yeti for all other perishables.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

We pre-cool our fridge the day before we leave, so it's nice and cold when we pack all our meat, cheese, condiments in it. We use the cooler for drinks as we need to open it many time throughout the day to stay "hydrated". Keep in mind we are on Vancouver Island and our summers don't get as hot as the rest of the country.

5. davekro

davekro Member

Yesterday, I completed pulling the frig. out and checking the flu (it was clean). The orifice was also clean, but there was some bug related debris in the burner tube that got cleaned out. That is why my flame went out on me once on trip #1. I think it will burn with a cleaner more consistent flame now. I'm hoping my cooling efficiency went up by 20% to get closer to the 'not so awesome' OEM cooling ability. ;o)

But do you just put whatever on the shelves loose? I had cut some holes in small cardboard trays I made for now to hold the few bottles of condiments, cheese, etc that we put in on the first trip. It seemed quicker (door closed faster) to pull the entire shelf's tray out to get/use related items. I may be over thinking this as I'm known to do. ;o)

Thanks to all for your comments on the use of the frig.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm with the others. My fridge is mainly used for drinks and some fridge stuff but not for things that could go bad such as milk eggs etc. I usually just put the items directly on the shelf. Every thing else is in my cooler. My fridge is honestly only opened like once maybe twice a day as I usually just drink water. Then again my fridge is not very reliable especially during the summer as it can occasionally get above safe temps. At least with my cooler my meat stays frozen.

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Drinks and coffee creamer in cooler because it get opened a lot. Food in the fridge, any food that is going to be used after day two goes in frozen. Any empty space I fill with freezer packs or frozen water bottles. I have a thermometer in the fridge and have no problem keeping food cold.