Wireing a 89 Coleman Colorado

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Biggs!, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Biggs!

Biggs! New Member

Last summer I striped and Re-built a 1989 Coleman Colorado pop up. These little Trailers do not have any electrics other than the driving lights. I am wanting to add a deep cycle battery system to power the trailer. I want to keep it really simple. I would like to just have two Wall out lets to charge phones/ computers with and run a small electric heater. Also I wouldn't mind having a two outdoor plugs as well just because you never know. no lights or anything like that I'm happy using an LED lantern for that. The only other thing of course is I would like to be able to recharge the battery with the TR while driving. Ive tried to search and I'm not really finding any diagrams that I think will work for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Thanks

Nate
    Pictures of the Colorado
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

A 12 VDC battery will not power the 110 VAC outlet efficiently. You would have to use an inverter to invert 12 VDC to 110 VAC and a battery would not last long.
    A battery installed in/on a PUP would be used for 12 VDC lighting, pump, furnace fan etc. THe 110 VAC outlets are usually just an extension of the power cord plugged into the shore power tower.

A simple 110 VAC system could be installed ..... power cord> breaker box> outlets, but would have to plugged in. Or use a generator.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy and safe camping, enjoy and have fun. [CP]

3. Biggs!

Biggs! New Member

Raycfe,

Thanks for the reply! Well all I really want is to be able to run some sort of heater. So ill start looking into something like that that might not need power. I'm Reluctant to use gas though.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Anything with electric heating elements will use a lot of power.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If you are going to be camped with power, you can use an extension cord ( of the proper type and weight) to run a small space heater. That is what we did in the old pu, which had no furnace or lights, nor a battery. It originally had a converter, but we did not trust it, and the only thing it seemed to have been for was to power a defunct and tiny ceiling light. We figured the LED light was much more useful than the melted fixture, so we took out the converter and installed a good GCFI outlet. In most cases, we plugged the space heater or fan into the outlet. When we had an electric light, mattress pad, etc. in use, we ran a very heavy duty outdoor extension out through the corner of the canvas to the electric column.

6. Cliffbeach491

Cliffbeach491 New Member

Hi, I am restoring a 1988 colorado in my garage right now. I am installing both 110 volt and 12 volt power in it. I used a 12 volt power converter with the power cord from an old Coleman pop up i found on EBay cheap. I installed both an inside and outside plug. its real easy. I can take some pictures of it with my phone and e mail them to you. I will be posting the whole restoration job on here with pictures soon.