Wireless Backup Camera on Truck and Popup with single monitor

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by bsharp03, Jun 12, 2020.

1. bsharp03

bsharp03 New Member

So a few years ago, I got an older truck to basically do a few things around the house with, along with hauling my popup. After driving it around, I decided I would like to get a backup camera installed to make hitching and backing in a little easier (I do not want to rely on my wife anymore). Does anyone have any suggestions on a backup camera(s) that can pull double duty. I want a Camera on my truck and my camper with only one monitor. I would prefer it all to be wireless and connect via the license plates.

mmpopuplvr likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. Following.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

mmpopuplvr and Rik Peery like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I added a back up camra to my TT, i find i only use it on the road to make sure im clear for lane changes. I never got the hang of using it for backing up. The new truck i got has a back up camera for lining up the hitch. That works great, but its also ment for that purpose. If its just a regular back up camera you may find it isnt as helpful as you would like it to be. Your experience may vary. I slways like the idea of the magnetic flags for the hitch and ball, maybe that is a better idea?

kudzu and Doughboy43 like this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

You can also get the type which can use your smartphone as the monitor.

6. blueNova

blueNova New Member

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Pleased to meet someone else who doesn't like to rely on the wife anymore [LOL][LOL][CB], works for me lol...thinking about doing the same, wife looks like she has St Vitus Dance at times trying to help me...

NMroamer likes this.
  8. IndyRick

IndyRick Active Member

I have a digital backup camera on the PUP that I use while driving also. I use a Camco "cone" tounge support that doubles as a backup target (I place the cone right where the license plate corner of the PUP needs to be). My wife is still an extremely valuable asset, as she watches both sides of the PUP/TV to make sure I don't hit any trees/utilities that I miss seeing while focused on backing up.

I really miss the help my wife provides when I have to setup solo.

PointyCamper and mmpopuplvr like this.
  9. blueNova

blueNova New Member

A good woman is hard to replace!

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

IT's not just your wife! Tons of people can't guide someone backing. I have no idea what some of the motions people use mean or how they came up with them. I generally hitchup solo and when back into a tight site I'll put DW in a critical spot and tell her to yell and wave if I'm close to hitting something. After decades of backing Tractor-Trailers yelling and waving rarely happens.

11. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

sjm9911
    You wasted your money on that camera. As soon as I get the trailer beside them I let it dance around a little bit swaying back and forth but, staying in my lane of course, at that point in time I normally see them fading fast then I know it is safe to move back to the right lane:)>), No really I am wanting to get one myself. I want one that I can put on the TV to hook up and then move it back on the PUP for backing in campsites and the garage. Speaking of backing up the LW has some hand signals that I am not sure she knows what she wants me to do. My absolute favorite is both hands covering her eyes. I intrepid that as emergency stop! I just don't want to buy one for 2 TVs and the PUP. The sway maneuver does work well when you are in a strange town trying to figure which lane you need to be in. I have noticed that the lights on my Texas vehicles are not visible in any place besides here. I am sure you have noticed that yourself.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. mmpopuplvr

mmpopuplvr New Member

13. MelloViking2108st

MelloViking2108st New Member

I have a 2018 Viking epic 2018st. It doesnt have back up lights as most pop ups dont. Can I hook the back up to the running lights?

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes , in fact its better that way. Turn on the running lights and the camra goes on.

15. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

As Sjm9911 said, you can indeed connect to the running lights. We did that with the rear camera we added to my van. My monitor is built into a rear view mirror. There is an on/off switch built into it, but (and now I cannot remember the 'why' of it but it isn't the the following anecdote) we still had to add a separate on/off switch to prevent the power from continuously going to the monitor.
    I know of a couple people who, years ago, connected their backup cameras to running lights and when the cameras failed they were told the cameras were not designed to run continuously. Basically they burned out the cameras, supposedly.

16. banjorules

banjorules Active Member

That may have been true at one time, but the newer cameras are designed to run continuously. Ours does, that is its primary purpose. It's a life saver for towing.

17. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

True, but I want to clarify that I was speaking of people who had problems with backup cameras, meaning built to be used when you are in reverse. Those were not built as full time rear view cameras. So it may be wise to make verify the camera is built for continuous use.