Wireless internet?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by racedude1984, Feb 5, 2010.

1. racedude1984

racedude1984 New Member

I know many people probably frown upon internet use while camping but my wife is in online college and may need access to the internet while camping. So I ask has anyone ever put up wireless internet tower to pick up a signal from farther away?

2. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

No, although I have taken the laptop along a time or two, had to go to the rec hall, I'd go late though after the missus went to sleep, sometimes this older couple would be in there doing a puzzle. Now a couple years back, there were some campers next to me who had this tower thing going on for better signal.

3. ka9nyn

ka9nyn Member

How about an inexpensive wireless router w/ ethernet ports. Put it in a rubbermaid/ gladware, etc. enclosure. Piece of 3/4" pvc pipe and pvc flange. Mount router/ container to flange w/ bungee cord, etc. Extend power lead for router and ethernet cable to appropriate length,
    bungee or velcro strap pipe to lifter post on PUP, plug in and enjoy.

How's that for 4 AM and 3 hours to go til heading home.

Dave (US Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Thompson, SD)

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We picked up a Verizon Broadband 2 Go a few months back. One of the shopping channels had them on sale. There is no contract, you just purchase as much as you need. We get a $10 card for 10 days and it works anywhere you can get a cell signal. We don't bother for a weekend trip, but for longer trips, DW needs internet for work. We tried it out when we went to Key West and we had interne while driving down the road. Pretty cool!

5. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

dw and i have the at & t air cards and have yet to find a place they dont work.....wife is on the computer a lot and air cards work great. we did away with old landline and wireless connection and went to air cards.
    2 of them cost us about a dollar more a month than when we had our land lin and our wireless and we could not take it with us....we love ours...especially on trips...directions, keeping in touch with family, work etc

6. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

I use my BlackBerry as my modem for my laptop. I can get the internet anywhere I can get signal from TMobile. Not the fastest, but it works. Other times I go to town and sit outside the library or coffee shop and use their wifi to check in, if I cant get signal at the campsite.

7. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

My Self & Steve use this setup

[​IMG]

Steve uses an AT&T card and I use a Verizon Card in the router. I'll let steve chime in on how he likes his. I have mine setup with high gain external antennes and brodcast the access to the campground. It works very good for our group needs.

As to the best carrier to use... It depends on where your at as to carrier you want to use. Out Here in the northwest AT&T has very poor coverage except in the citys. Verizon & Sprint have the best. Even Verizon has areas that have a hard time getting covarge, but the external antenns fix that most times. Below is a picture of the antennas on the trailer. We are camped in the high desert of Idaho.

[​IMG]

Prices on the service is about the same among the carriers. I us the 5gig plan for $59 a month It use to be unlimted usage but they changed that a few years back.

Here is some more info if you want at this link

Hope it helps

8. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Well Ray it looks like you have a moon buggy there & not a popup [LOL] [LOL]. Sure beats 2 tin cans & a piece of string [LOL]

9. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Alot of folks say that it looks like the lunar lander.... [LOL] And you know... Craters of the Moon state park is just down the road.

But at 110 to 115 degs outside and no shade you try to sheild the heat as much as you can. I tried it one year without the blankets and the AC just couldn't keep up.

10. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

One option is to "tether" your cellphone. Not all cellphones have this option; a couple of our phones do - your carrier can help you with this, either over the phone or on their website. There is no contact and the charge is $30/month on Verizon. If you have the need to download large items (pics, etc.), you have to be careful that you don't go over the limit.

This may be a less expensive option. If you need to purchase a used cellphone for this purpose, I like www.dotcells.com.

Pam

11. obooker

obooker Camper in Georgia

Concur with tethering the cell to the 'puter. I have a Blackberry Tour on Verizon with data plan. I purchased "Tetherberry" software. Installed it on the laptop and on the Tour. When I need an internet connection, I connect the Tour to the laptop with the data cable, turn on the Tetherberry software and voila, I have internet. It's the best thing I've bought for my Blackberry.

12. dcaptd

dcaptd Member

Check out a website called instructables.com , Its a DIY plans site search WI-FI . They have several plans for WI-FI booster ant.

13. cma7777

cma7777 Member

If you are at a CG that has wireless but just to far away for you to pickup (or a neighbor camper who has set up their own min wireless network that is unsecured) try a range expander. I have a Linksys Wireless-G range expander (Model No WRE54G) from best buy. The cost was around $100. I can go to the camp ground store (or near the source of the wireless network which could be McDonald's) plug it in and allow it to lock in on the network. Then take it back and put it in the pup for a great signal. This all depends on how far the wireless signal is from your pup. This works great with the magic jack for telephone service. I have used the magic jack on missions trips to Guatemala and it works great for me.

14. merc

merc Member

I have an android smartphone that can be a wireless hot spot for up to 5 computers. This costs me about $30/month extra on my phone bill. This works were ever I can get signal, even roaming. It has the same requirements/useage as an aircard, but is about $40/month cheaper. It usually works ok to take care of necessities while on the road, but I have been to camp grounds where signal was very weak to none. Doesn't help there.

15. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

We have a NetBook through AT&T. The only place I have been unable to get service is one of my favorite campgrounds in the New Hampshire White Mountains. About $60 a month.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm going to start bringing a laptop with me on camping trips, primarily for doing photo editing work at the campsite. That will save me a lot of time when I get home. I'll also use it to email the DW when I'm in a hot spot. A cell phone air card would not work well for me because I am usually not in a place with cell phone coverage.

17. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

With my Droid (Verizon) I can teter my computer with no additional cost. It's not a hotspot though, only one computer can be hooked up at a time. Also a lot of times private parks around here will have free wireless.

18. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

I'm very interested in this.

I'm going camping over spring break, and am in an online Master's class. I will have to submit assignments over spring break.

I don't want to sign a big contract with anyone, as I only want internet access for THAT WEEK.

I have a cell phone with ATT. I do not have a smart phone, but I do pay for unlimited internet for my basic phone. I have an LG Vu Plus

Anything I can do?

19. obooker

obooker Camper in Georgia

20. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

After reading this thread I googled tether droid to netbook and found a free app for the phone and free software download for the netbook computer. The app was found on the "Market" and the download from their webpage. I installed both and set them up in a few minutes. Worked perfectly and while tethered and in use the phone display actually shows you byte usage! Now what is this program called?

It is PDAnet and you can find more info here: http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php