wiring brake controller

mpkeon

What A Looong Strange Trip It's Been
May 25, 2008
Hudson Valley, New York
Hey everyone,
I just picked up a new to me '00 chevy silvarado andit is equiped as far as I an tell with the factory tow package. So does anyone out there know if I can get a wiring harness for my prodigy and just hook it in and what and where am I looking for the truck connection. I saw one at etrailer, and maybe I should juat call them, but I figured I'd start here.

Big Dawg

Jul 25, 2007
Are you sure you did not get the wiring harness with the truck, mine came with it since it was equiped with the towing package.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
On the 08 Ram, I had too buy the harness from the brake controller to the truck wiring.

Check your truck manual it may say where the connector is located, if not pop into your local dealer and ask either the parts guy (he has access to nice pictures) or service consultant (he'll have to go look up the nice pictures).

Failing those, check out a couple of Chevy truck forums.

mpkeon

What A Looong Strange Trip It's Been
May 25, 2008
Hudson Valley, New York
Big Dawg,
That's what I'm wondering, I'm just not sure what to look for. After the rain pounding we got here in the NE I'l be able to really start going over things this week into this oming weekend.

sandmangw

Chesapeake, VA
Jun 15, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
It should be just a short wiring connector plug. We we did my friends truck, his was bagged and in the glove box. Since you got your truck in a "preciously broken in by someone else" status, you might have to get one from the Chevy dealer. If you have the owners manual, it should list the connector/part number in there. Once you get that little item, the rest is a breeze.

Big Dawg

Jul 25, 2007
I have a Chevy Avalanche, it came with the wiring harness, it hooks right under the steering wheel. If you do not find it, check back at the Dealer. They might give you one.

SmilinBeard

Feb 18, 2008
When we got our first TV I got the wiring for the brakes from e-Trailer. They set me up with the harness particular to our vehicle with instructions specific to the vehicle. When we moved up to a larger TV this fall I got a new brake controller [inertial to replace our old time one] from them as well. These also came with specific instructions for my specific vehicle. I'm sure they can do the same for you.

outdoorxman

The mountains are calling me and I must go.
Jul 31, 2006
Kansas City Area
You're good to go! Buy the bigtail and you can just plug it in. Behind the E Brake on the firewall there is a box. Remove the cover and plug it in and mount the controller. Also check that you have the fuse installed in the fuse box under the hood.

Phil

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
mpkeon said:
Hey everyone,
I just picked up a new to me '00 chevy silvarado andit is equiped as far as I an tell with the factory tow package. So does anyone out there know if I can get a wiring harness for my prodigy and just hook it in and what and where am I looking for the truck connection. I saw one at etrailer, and maybe I should juat call them, but I figured I'd start here.

On my 00 Silverado the only factory wiring to the rear was for the lights, the blue wire ran to the rear was for a third brake light. The designations were on a sticker on the harness pigtail at the rear. I used the adapter plug for the controller to plug into the junction to the left of the brake pedal under dash. (Second female plug from left at top). Then I had to remove the cover on the lower part of the fuse panel under the hood, beneath it is a black or red wire not connected to anything which I had to connect to get the 12V power at the junction block hot. You need to remove the brace from firewall to fender then just pull the lower part of the fuse panel cover off. The blue wire under there with a plug end is the blue wire that runs to the back harness for the third brake light on trailer. ( Ithink it is designated on the tag as CHMSL), It is not connected either. The ground and brake light signal for activation were already hooked up at the junction box just no 12V power or blue brake wire. I cut into the adapter harness and ran a 10 gauge wire from there to rear connector for the activation. I think like everyone says if the truck came with a factory tow package, which would have an extra trans cooler I think, you have every wire and they are connected. But if like mine and it did not have the towing option they only give you 1/2 of what is needed.