Wiring issue

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by [email protected], Jul 22, 2013.

1. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

I have a 1993 Flagstaff 618LTD. Under the galley seat there is the power distribution unit. There a is blue wire leave the PDU, but does not connect to anything. Next to it is another blue wire that goes into the frame of the camper. Neither of the blue wires are connected. The question is, should these wires be connected?

[​IMG]
    Joe

2. Dave90210

Dave90210 New Member

I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I'd say yes. [:D]

3. bagobutler

bagobutler A bad day camping is a good day living.

It's your ground wire. It should be twisted together and secured with a wire nut.

4. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Intuitively, yes. But I would be cautious of hooking any wire to GROUND unless I was sure of it's function. Perhaps you can find a manual for the make/model of your converter and it should tell you the wire function by color. Just to be safe.

5. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

can you trace it or test it?

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

What's the make and model of your converter?

On mine, the blue wires are 12v + power and are controlled by the galley switch.

Check the manuals section under miscellaneous manuals and look for a comparable one.

7. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look when I get home from work and see what I can find out about it.

Joe

8. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

So, I was able to test the converter, and the blue wire coming out of the converter is +12v DC. But, as is obvious by looking at the picture, is not connected to anything. Now I have to trace the wire from a 12v light and see why it is not connected to the converter.

Thanks for all the help you all have provided.

Joe

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Your PDU has several circuits that are likely not being used.

Cap em with wire nut or black tape.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Many of the older converters used this wiring code. White is ground....... sorry never saw blue used for a ground wire. Blue would be the output wire for the 12 volt items, and the red was for the battery if equipped.

The green wire should be the 110 VAC ground wire.

11. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Good thing you didn't connect it to the other blue wire that goes to the trailer frame!

Is the reason you were looking at the wiring because something is not working? Some trailers don't use all of the output circuits from the converter. It does seem odd to find TWO wires, stripped of insulation but not connected to anything... not sure what to make of that.

12. kpic

kpic New Member

In addition to what Raycfe said if everything works, I'd add a wire nut to any bare wire.

13. Roll-With-It

Roll-With-It New Member

I have same exact rig. Just checked mine at camp driveway. I have a heavier guage, dark blue that exits down through floor. A thinner, light blue wire to the PDU. Connected with a 6A inline fuse.

I could be totally wrong, but I think that may be a failsafe while on battery power or if connected to tow vehicle.

14. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

Haven't had a chance to setup the camper again to trace the wires, but none of the 12 volt lights work, and the 12 volt fan doesn't work, but that one is because when the last owner put the fan in, did not crimp properly, and the wires came apart, but that is an easy fix.

Joe

15. Roll-With-It

Roll-With-It New Member

Now that you mention the 12v system wide issue, I recall same when that inline fuse blew. I also see a black wire, thinner guage that is unconnected. Not sure what that does.

16. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

Woo Hoo

Got the camper open tonight and traced all the wires from the lights and fan (fan was wired backward). Solution was totally counter-intuitive. The blue wire (pictured above) connects the the white (coming out of converter/pdu) -12v, the white wire connects to the blue (coming out of converter/pdu) +12v wire. I also put the 6 amp fuse inline with the +12V.

Now my only issue is a bad splice between the light and the fan, Once that is fixed all of the 12 volt system will work!

Thank you all for your help

Joe

17. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

Replaced two bad splices. Now all 12 volt lights and fan works.

Joe Brown