Wiring Magnetek 6409

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by debz8683, May 26, 2011.

1. debz8683

debz8683 New Member

I have the scematic and I dont know why I cant figure out how to install the converter but the previous owner had the converter out for repair and for the life of me I cant figure out how to put it back in. I have the wiring scematic but that doesnt seem to help. Anyone have pictures, detailed pictures, of your 6400 series installed?

2. debz8683

debz8683 New Member

Ok so I have the outlets working, but my lights are not working. My question is about the two wire sets that has the copper white and black coming from the camper. I connected the black ones to the yellow and orange from my converter box, and the white with the white ones, but where do the copper wires connect to? Is this why I'm not getting light? Please help. The schematic is vague.

3. Erwin

Erwin New Member

debz8683,
    First of all, be very careful. You are working with the AC side of the converter.(110 volts)
    The 2 "wire sets" are probably the wiring going to the outlets at each end of the trailer. The bare copper leads go to a bus bar in the converter. It is in the little compartment the other wires are. This is the ground wire. The bus bar is a metal bar with holes and screw connections on it. you put the wire in the hole and tighten the screws to hold them. There should also be another wire (usually green) connected to this bus bar that,at the other end, connects to the frame of the pup. The ground wire form your shore power cord also connects to this bus bar. You have to have these ground wires connected!
    On to the lights. The lights in the ceiling are 12 volts that are powered by the converter or battery if you have one. There should be wires coming out of the back of the converter. Colors are red, white and blue.
    Red goes to the pup battery if you have one, Blue is the power for your lights (and any other 12v things you may have) and white is the ground for those 12v devices.
    You may have a 3 position switch on the converter. CONV/OFF/BATT. It needs to be in the appropriate position. CONV when you are plugged into shore power. BATT when you aren't and want to run off of the battery.
    BTW The outlets will not work if you aren't plugged into shore power

4. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

your not explaining your self, the white romex wire from the camper should have a copper ground wire, its gets grounded to the ground (buss bar) on the converter, usually is silver with small screws in it, put the copper wire under one of the screws, should fix your problem.

5. debz8683

debz8683 New Member

Ok I got the copper wires (ground wires) into the bus bar, everyhing is working now but I wanted to make sure before I put the panel on. On the bus bare is there a positive and negative? Does it matter which copper wires go on the bus bar?

6. debz8683

debz8683 New Member

Thank you all for being patient with me. I am familiar with normal electric in my house but this is completely different. One final question, I have the two white romex wires with copper ends connected to the two white wires from the converter box. The orange and and yellow wires from the converter box get connected to the hot black wires from the camper. Does it matter which one is connected to which? The copper grounds go to the bus bar, but there is a thicker copper wire as well (I'm assuming this is also a ground wire) this gets connected to the bus bar as well right? The lights in the trailer are still not working. Please see bellow to see if you see what I am doing wrong.

7. debz8683

debz8683 New Member

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Yes, one pair of colored and white would be protected by the 15A breaker and the other pair would be protected by the 20A breaker (mine is the 'O' series with a 15 and 20 amp breaker, I note other model may have 2-15s)
    I don't believe my 6409 has orange and yellow. I had it opened once but solved my issue (GFCI) about the time I almost disconnected stuff!

9. Erwin

Erwin New Member

Looks like you have the AC side in control.
    The lights are 12v DC . They are powered by the blue wire coming out of the back of the converter.
    Your pup may have a safety switch on the galley or near one of the beds to turn off the 12v to the roof lights when the pup is folded down.(keeps lights from burning canvas if you leave them on)

On another note: You may want to put your pup make and model in your profile or signature. Though most of this stuff is generic there are some peculiarities with each.

10. debz8683

debz8683 New Member

Thanks all for responding, got everything hooked up correctly and it turns out that the reason that the lights werent turning on was because the cut of switch was not connected to the galley because it was torn apart for painting. I feel like such an idiot lol. Learned quite a bit though. I cannot justify spending $96 an hour for someone to do a job like this so I did it myself

11. Robert O'Dea

Robert O'Dea New Member

Debz8683 or Erwin, etc.
    I realize this info string is from 2011 but I'm really looking for a copy of the manual, wiring diagram or schematic for 6409/6400A AC/DC power converter that I have in my recently acquired but quite old popup camper. The previous owner had cut all the wiring. DANG!

12. Fless

Fless Active Member

13. Robert O'Dea

Robert O'Dea New Member

Great! Thanks Fless.